Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

English missing

hindurch klingenden Bildsprache (art)

Subject

hindurch klingenden Bildsprache (art)

Sources
    ... sie ist auf der Suche nach einer persönlichen, verbindlichen und hindurch klingenden Bildsprache ...
    Comment
    I am looking for some language that rings through a painting, just like colors or shapes gleam or shimmer through a certain surface.
    Authorketrin66 (317837) 07 Apr 07, 14:42
    Suggestiontransparent / clear
    Sources
    ?
    #1Authornixnutze (314952) 07 Apr 07, 14:45
    Suggestioneasily accessible
    Sources
    ?
    #2Authornixnutze (314952) 07 Apr 07, 14:45
    Comment
    wie würdest Du s dann übersetzen? clear und easily accecible fällt weg, passt nicht in den Kontext
    #3Authorketrin66 (317837) 07 Apr 07, 14:48
    Suggestionfragt sich nur,...
    Sources
    was du mit "verbindlich" meinst?
    -> verpflichtend?
    oder eher (was ich vermute) -> verBINDEND??
    #4Authornixnutze (314952) 07 Apr 07, 14:50
    Suggestionpictorial language that is ... all-pervasive
    Comment
    "She is looking for a pictorial language that is personal, binding and all-pervasive."
    #5AuthorPhillipp07 Apr 07, 14:51
    Sources
    Nowadays the artist rather traces the pleasant impact of paintings and colours and seeks more her own personal, engaging and ringing through visual language that combines and integrates all her skills and experiences.
    Comment
    I tried it that way..
    I am not sure if all pervasive goals, definitely more than ringing through ; I know.

What do you think? some other ideas? i got none, still need help with that.

verbindlich ... engaging, obliging
    #6Authorketrin66 (317837) 07 Apr 07, 14:55
    Comment
    ??
    #7Authorketrin66 (317837) 07 Apr 07, 15:16
    Sources
    sie ist auf der Suche nach einer persönlichen, verbindlichen und hindurch klingenden Bildsprache ...
    Comment
    Phillip's translation is the best so far. Here a minor suggestion:

"She is looking for a personal, intimate, and all-pervasive pictoral (or "visual") language."

"Engaging" is probably a good choice for "verbindlich." (Phillip: I doubt that "binding" would mean much to English readers.)

Ketrin: in #6 you've moved the goal posts! Nevertheless:

"Nowadays the artist strives for a pleasing combination of image and color and is searching for a more personal visual language that will combine her skills and experience and define her work."

This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but at least it is idiomatic and grammatically correct.

#8AuthorBob C. (254583) 07 Apr 07, 15:57
    Comment
    I agree, Bob (about "binding"). Meantime I wondered about "committed".
    #9AuthorPhillipp07 Apr 07, 16:02
    Comment
    thank you both,

Bob: your version is a bit too far from the german but i have definitely some good suggestions for the words i had troubles with ...:)
    #10Authorketrin66 (317837) 07 Apr 07, 16:10
    Comment
    Nr. 6 Nowadays the artist rather traces the pleasant impact of paintings and colours and seeks more................
    am I just not getting it?
    #11Authordave07 Apr 07, 16:21
    Suggestionhindurch klingende Bildsprache
    Sources
    Nr. 6: please forget about this post.

Actually I have massive troubles to find the right word for "hindurch klingend"

It is actually a word combination that is not even usual for Germans. ... just like augensinnlich - ein "Kunstwort"
    and it should be used as a figur or color shimmers through another looking surface, just like something gleams...
    but its nothing but sounds that ring through in a visual language.
    Comment
    Von der Übersetzung krieg ich langsam einen Hirnkrampf.
    #12Authorketrin66 (317837) 07 Apr 07, 16:30
    Comment
    Let's hope Phillip is still on the line for this question (#12).

I believe the Dutch masters used a technique that produced that effect, but I can't tell you (without some research) the proper word.

"Shine through" (and "gleam," "glimmer," "shimmer" through) are descriptive but non-technical, every-day terms. You could probably use them if we do not find the artist's word for it.

I assume we can rule out "pentimento."

You are right that "ring through," which means something entirely different, does not work here.
    #13AuthorBob C. (254583) 07 Apr 07, 17:12
    Comment
    There are times, ketrin, where you have to let go of the original and say to yourself "The target language simply doesn't offer a completely adequate rendition of the word here" (in this case "hindurch klingend").

My "all-pervasive" (you could simply take "pervasive") covers the "hindurch" but ignores the "klingend"; when you think about it though, this "klingend" is not absolutely essential to the sense; it is not as though an argument or a thesis depends on it (unless in the rest of the text play is made on the world of sound).

The point is, if you stick to trying to get it into the sentence, unless you come up with something really good, your translation just sounds ... like a translation. And that's something we try to avoid, among other things for the poor reader's sake.

I personally would disregard the "klingend" entirely.
    #14AuthorPhillipp07 Apr 07, 17:17
    Comment
    what about something with "that resonates" for your bells?
    #15AuthorSteveG (292326) 07 Apr 07, 17:18
    Comment
    Just read your contribution, Bob. Sorry, but I really have to get off-line now!
    #16AuthorPhillipp07 Apr 07, 17:19
    Comment
    unterstütze #13,14,15

klingen:eine Stradivari klingt gut -
    vs.
    klingeln: Türklingel, Fahrradklingel
    #17AuthorGeiger07 Apr 07, 17:25
    Comment
    Philip:

Normally, I do follow and agree with you: if in doubt leave it out ;)
    but in this case it is in the sense of the whole text necessary. It is a text an artist wrote about an artist. And in art colours make a great sound, you can hear a red or a blue, they make different sounds. I have all-pervasive right now in this first version, though. A tone resonates no matter if its pervasive, attractive or disturbing.

If someone gets into this discussion with a great hint, thanks ...and i would love to thank Werner, Bob and Philipp for their great help!!!!!!
    #18Authorketrin66 (317837) 07 Apr 07, 17:36
    Comment
    Ketrin, I at first misunderstood "hindurchklingend," taking it to mean "pervasive" or "running through" a painting like a theme or thread.

In the sense of "showing through" or "shining through," Nix's early suggestion "transparent" and "clear" may be what you require. There is also "luminous," "glowing."

If the artist wants to use the metaphor of audible sound for colors, there is, of course, "tone," which applies both to color and sound.

If you want to pursue this, could you quote the German sentence(s) from which you wish to work?
    #19AuthorBob C. (254583) 07 Apr 07, 18:12
    Sources
    Nun spürt die Künstlerin eher der wohltuenden Wirkung von Bildern und Farben nach und sie ist auf der Suche nach einer persönlichen, verbindlichen und hindurch klingenden Bildsprache, die all ihre Fähigkeiten und Kenntnisse zu integrieren vermag.
    Comment
    of course i can. There it is.
    #20Authorketrin66 (317837) 07 Apr 07, 18:38
    Suggestionall-permeating reverberant/vibrant tone
    #21Authoralternativler07 Apr 07, 21:21
    Sources
    Nun spürt die Künstlerin eher der wohltuenden Wirkung von Bildern und Farben nach und sie ist auf der Suche nach einer persönlichen, verbindlichen und hindurch klingenden Bildsprache, die all ihre Fähigkeiten und Kenntnisse zu integrieren vermag.
    Comment
    Today the artist prefers working with the comforting effect of image and color; she is searching for a personal, intimate, and expressive visual language that will integrate all of her abilities and experience.

Alternatives:

Nun: "now" or "today" (probably not "nowadays").
    Bildern: perhaps "imagery."
    eher: "prefers to" or "does more work with"
    wohltuend: "comforting," "pleasing" (probably not "pleasant).
    nachspueren: "investigate," "inquire into" (hence also: "examine"). Possibly: "follow," or "strive for"; also: "work with," "experiment with."
    verbindlich: Not sure what this means. Possibly: "intimate," "engaging," "sincere" or "genuine."
    Bildsprache: consider also: "visual imagery," "pictoral language."

hindurchklingend: the hardest one. (I doubt "all pervasive" is what you are looking for.) It seems you need to combine something like "transparent" or "luminous" with an aural metaphor such as "reverberating," "resonating," "audible," "resounding."

No further ideas on this at the moment.
    #22AuthorBob C. (254583) 07 Apr 07, 22:33
    Sources
    my version: (not assiduously adhering to German version)
    Comment
    Today the artist avails herself of the soothing blend of colour and imagery whilst searching for an individual, committed and visually reverberating style that captures her know-how.
    #23Authoralternativler08 Apr 07, 10:28

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt