•  
  • Betreff

gleichberechtigt

Quellen
    Folgerichtig galt das Bildnis neben der realistischen Genremalerei als wichtiges Instrument zur Wahrnehmung des französischen Volkes als einer Summe gleichberechtigter Individuen.

Consequently portraiture and realist genre painting came to be seen as important instruments for the representation/perception of the French people as a sum of … individuals.
    Kommentar
    Fällt jemandem etwas ein, wie sich das möglichst knapp ausdrücken lässt. Es kann ruhig etwas freier sein, solang es den Sinn nicht entstellt. Individuals of equal rights klingt schwerfällig und verschiebt die Gewichtung des Satzes.

Danke.
    VerfasserCarola (236513) 06 Mai 07, 09:01
    Ergebnisse aus dem Wörterbuch
    pari passu   lateinischgleichberechtigt  Adj.
    having equal rights gleichberechtigt  Adj.
    on an equal footing (with) gleichberechtigt (mit)
    equitable  Adj.gleichberechtigt
    flat  Adj.gleichberechtigt
    to have equal rights gleichberechtigt sein
    Is the organizationAE hierarchical or flat?
    Is the organisationBE / organizationBE hierarchical or flat?
    Ist die Organisation hierarchisch oder gleichberechtigt?
    Vorschlagequal
    Kommentar
    Würde "equal" nicht schon reichen?
    #1VerfasserC06 Mai 07, 09:06
    Kommentar
    with equal rights
    #2Verfassernoli06 Mai 07, 09:07
    Kommentar
    My sympathies. I often have difficulties coming up with good solutions for "gleichberechtigt".

One possibility here might be:

" ... a sum [somewhat odd English, too!] of individuals on a par with each other."

#3VerfasserPhillipp06 Mai 07, 09:11
    Kommentar
    lol ... i was going to suggest on par---

without article
    #4Verfassernoli06 Mai 07, 09:13
    Kommentar
    ... as sum total of tantamount beings
    #5VerfasserJust Lynn (307973) 06 Mai 07, 09:15
    Kommentar
    Lynn--- i don't know where you are this morning...
    #6Verfassernoli06 Mai 07, 09:17
    Kommentar
    p.s. Phillipp - but i don't like it...
    #7Verfassernoli06 Mai 07, 09:18
    Quellen
    Folgerichtig galt das Bildnis neben der realistischen Genremalerei als wichtiges Instrument zur Wahrnehmung des französischen Volkes als einer Summe gleichberechtigter Individuen.

Consequently portraiture and realist genre painting came to be seen as important instruments for the representation/perception of the French people as a sum of … individuals.
    Kommentar
    as a mass of individuals enjoying equal rights.

i would stir away from sum---
    #8Verfassernoli06 Mai 07, 09:21
    Kommentar
    Okay, noli, another possibility might be:

" ... of individuals of equal standing."
    #9VerfasserPhillipp06 Mai 07, 09:22
    Kommentar
    steer away or stay away.... i was stirring my coffee
    #10Verfassernoli06 Mai 07, 09:24
    Kommentar
    or enjoying equality
    #11Verfassernoli06 Mai 07, 09:25
    Kommentar
    "mass" is certainly better than "sum".

My problem with "with equal rights" or "enjoying equal rights" is that it directs attention away from the people to something extrinsic to them (the "rights" that they supposedly share with each other ). "gleichberechtigt" keeps the focus of attention closer to the individuals (as does "on a par with each other" or "of equal standing").
    #12VerfasserPhillipp06 Mai 07, 09:32
    Kommentar
    phillipp i have nothing to add...

except re. your suggestion - i would have to use on par with one another... the a does not come easily to me... but that's just habit...
    #13Verfassernoli06 Mai 07, 09:38
    Kommentar
    @ Noli and Phillipp
    Thanks for your many suggestions. I have a bit of a problem with equal standing and on a par with each other. Despite all talk of égalité people clearly were not on a par nor did they enjoy equal standing, i.e. status. Peasants and bourgeois were still quite clearly not seen as equal. They did , however, have equal rights before the law; and I do think this about rights. I understand why you don't like sum. But I think the author wanted to move away from *mass* as a potentially threatening anonymous entity and use *sum of individuals* that makes up a nation. Any further suggestions are gratefully accepted.
    #14VerfasserCarola (236513) 06 Mai 07, 10:00
    Kommentar
    Carola, I've reconsidered about "sum". Yes, go ahead and use it. Your most recent comments suggest:

" ... sum of individuals equal before the law."
    #15VerfasserPhillipp06 Mai 07, 10:06

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Tastatur

• Sonderzeichen

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt