•  
  • Übersicht

Englisch gesucht

realize oder realise - was ist richtig?

Betreff

realize oder realise - was ist richtig?

Quellen
    William smiled at Zoe. As he did so, she realized who she'd like to put in her boat when she made her escape. (Marcus Sedgwick, 'Floodland')

It wasn't until Peter saw a low-slung hay cart approaching that he realised Radu's body had not yet arrived. (Marcus Sedgwick, 'My Swordhand Is Singing')
    Kommentar
    Ich habe beides schon gesehen, und bin ziemlich verwirrt. In meinem Langenscheidt-Lexikon heißt es realize, emphasize, apologize und so weiter. Mein Rechtschreibeprogramm (Großbritannien) besteht auf s statt z, das habe ich nicht richtig ernst genommen. Ich habe verschiedene englische Bücher von einem Autoren gelesen; in den meisten wird die Varaiante mit z verwendet, aber im neusten plötzlich die mit s.

Woran liegt das? Kann mir jemand den Grund erklären - und den Unterschied, wenn es einen gibt? Vielen Dank!
    VerfasserJade24 Mai 07, 19:03
    Kommentar
    AE vs BE
    #1Verfasserbike_helmut (82341) 24 Mai 07, 19:05
    Kommentar
    I am British and would always write realise and never think of writing realize. NO explanation i'm afraid just us Brits doing it differents to the Americains i guess.
    #2VerfasserMrsG (333583) 24 Mai 07, 19:06
    Kommentar
    Thank you both! But why are two different spellings used in the books of ONE writer? Marcus Sedgwick's a British writer by the way.
    #3VerfasserJade24 Mai 07, 19:12
    Kommentar
    Jade, I read a lot of Dick Francis books. Those printed in the UK follow the BE rules (realise, blonde, neighbour, appologise, etc.). Those printed in the States follow AE rules (realize, blond, neighbor, appologize, etc.)
    Were your books from the same publisher?
    #4VerfasserFrancis24 Mai 07, 20:27
    Kommentar
    Jade, both forms are acceptable in BE, however -ise endings tend to be much more common, you'd only see the -ize in some published formal writing. Can depend on the publisher, even within the UK.

This link might be interesting: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ise1.htm
    (also has a list of words that *always* end in -ise)

also, apologise is with one 'p', and blond(e) is a male(female) distinction
    #5VerfasserGraham20 Jun. 07, 15:21
    Kommentar
    Just a side note: I thought the difference between "blond" and "blonde" was that one is masculine and one is feminine. Is one really more correct in BE than AE? Are men blonde in the UK?
    #6VerfasserHannah24 Dez. 08, 17:30
    Kommentar
    I think that "blond" refers to hair color,and "blonde" to a person with blond hair (usually female, as in "Blondine")

#7VerfasserMick - SoCal24 Dez. 08, 21:14
    Kommentar
    Was ich auch komisch finde: in unserem Schulbuch wird das BE immer so angepriesen, es steht auch überall die Britische Schreibung, bis auf eben -ise und -ize. Es steht immer letzteres.
    #8Verfasserm_albi (529145) 24 Dez. 08, 21:21
    Kommentar
    @#5, 6, 7: The old conventions are breaking down.

1. As re-borrowing from French in the 17th century, the male/female (blond/blonde) distinction formerly used to be strictly observed. (Graham #5 and Hannah #6)
    2. Some people use the noun/adjective (blonde/blond) distinction. (Mick #7)
    3. Other people simply use one or the other - usage seems relatively evenly divided - at all times.

It isn't an AE/BE thing at all, except that AE may be more lax in applying either "rule" number 1 or number 2.

BTW, brunet/brunette should function the same was as blond/blonde rule number 1.

Back to the original question: -ize is AE; BE apparently prefers -ise but allows either. The same thing happened to the Harry Potter books, -ise in GB and -ize in US.
    #9VerfasserRobert -- US (328606) 24 Dez. 08, 21:39

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Tastatur

• Sonderzeichen

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt