Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

La-la land

Sources
    Maybe I can work up column out of Will's puzzle while I'm traveling back and forth from La-la Land.

Kaye Morgan, Death by Sudoku, p. 81
    Comment
    Die Heldin fliegt von Portland nach L.A. Ist La-la Land ein Spitzname für Kalifornien?
    Author Selima (107) 15 Aug 07, 09:50
    Comment
    #1Authorpolyvinylbutyral sheet rolls15 Aug 07, 09:53
    Sources
    Comment
    Ich denke, das ist nicht ganz Kalifornien, sondern nur LA...
    #2AuthorUMG2 (328026) 15 Aug 07, 09:53
    Sources
    ursprünglich war wohl Los Angeles gemeint:

http://www.answers.com/topic/la-la-land

Comment
    heute im übertragenen Sinne "unseriös"
    #3Author penguin (236245) 15 Aug 07, 09:54
    Sources
    Comment
    Wortspiel
    1. Los Angeles, California (often abbreviated L.A.). This expression pokes fun at the alleged eccentricities of the city's inhabitants. For example, What do you expect? Frederick has lived in la-la land for ten years and it has rubbed off on him. [Slang; c. 1980]
    2. A state of being out of touch with reality, as in I don't know what's going on with Amy--she seems to be in la-la land. [Slang; c. 1980]
    #4AuthorAlan@ (118325) 15 Aug 07, 09:55
    Comment
    Aha. Danke. Auf den ersten Teil La-la = L.A. hatte man auch so kommen können. Aber vermutlich war ich selbst noch in la-la land :-)
    #5Author Selima (107) 15 Aug 07, 09:57
    SuggestionSchlaraffenland?
    Comment
    Kann man Schlaraffenland für La-la-land benutzen? Benutzt man das Wort "Schlaraffenland" oft in Deutsch?

Auf A.Englisch sagt man, dass ein Person in "La-la land" ist, wenn er nicht aufpasst, oder wenn er kein Arbeit macht, kein Arbeit machen will, oder faul ist.
    #6Authorchristo3 (862416) 02 Oct 14, 18:41
    Comment
    Das Schlaraffenland ist ein Ort des Überflusses, ein Ort, an dem man immer genug zu essen hat und nie Not leiden muss:

Dictionary: schlaraffenland

Als Übersetzung für La-la Land passt das nicht.
    #7Author penguin (236245) 02 Oct 14, 18:53
    Comment
    The more general sense of 'la-la land' is a dazed, confused mental state where a person is less than fully conscious or aware. Someone who is hallucinating or tripping out on drugs might be in la-la land. To me the image is of someone just sitting and singing or babbling nonsense syllables: 'La la la ...'

By extension it's used figuratively to mean completely out of touch with reality -- you could say, for example, that a politician was living in la-la land if his or her proposals were utterly loony, not remotely possible in the real world.

The speaker extends that sense one step further by making the implied play on words on 'L.A.' It's not familiar to me as an established expression meaning L.A. -- not like the Big Apple for New York or the Windy City for Chicago -- but it's an easily understandable play on words, because of the reputation of L.A. and California for both drugs and a dreamlike, happy-go-lucky lifestyle.

The original quote probably says 'a column,' BTW; the narrator seems to be a writer or columnist looking for ideas.

The title of the mystery sounds great -- death is usually what happens to me when I come up against the 6-star Sudoku at the end of the week. (-: (But actually, the last couple of Saturdays, I finished it! Probably just a fluke ...)
    #8Author hm -- us (236141) 02 Oct 14, 19:37
    Comment
    careful, hm -- us, resurrected thread!
    In #7, I answered #6; the OP is more than seven years old
    #9Author penguin (236245) 03 Oct 14, 09:38
    Comment
    So if I post now to say I'm sorry I posted, everyone will have to read it again? \-;

Sorry ...
    #10Author hm -- us (236141) 03 Oct 14, 21:44
    Comment
    2. A state of being out of touch with reality, as in I don't know what's going on with Amy--she seems to be in la-la land.

Ummm, are you guys (sorry hm) trying to tell me something?
    #11Author Amy-MiMi (236989) 03 Oct 14, 22:04
    SuggestionLand der Träume
    Sources

Person auf Trage krampft stark. Sie wird von den Rettungssanitätern anscheinend sediert oder bekommt eine Relaxanz und dämmert weg. Sanitäter sinngemäß: "He's now in la-la land." Deutsche Stimme aus dem Off übersetzt es als "Er ist jetzt im Land der Träume" o. ä.

Quelle: Fernsehsendung "Notruf USA", Episode 4.01 "Am seidenen Faden", ca. Minute 35, K1Doku, Originalserientitel: "Nightwatch (New Orleans)", Ausstrahlung: Sa, 21.03. 23:40-00:25 Uhr

#12Author Tellodir (938070) 22 Mar 20, 00:35
    Comment

This thread provides a good discussion of the meanings of la-la land and La-La Land, and the definitions provided by the Merriam-Webster dictionary sums it up:

1) la-la land (not capitalized): a euphoric, dreamlike mental state detached from the harsher realities of life.

"When you spend time around [him] you are struck by someone who isn't living in la-la land and isn't a pushover."

— Todd Balf

2) La-La Land (capitalized): used as a nickname for Los Angeles, California. "Like most devoted New Yorkers who find themselves in La-La Land, the author goes through at least half of the five stages of grief."

— Alexandra Jacobs

Selima's original post capitalizes the term and refers to travel between Portland (Oregon, probably) and Los Angeles, so it's pretty clearly a reference to Los Angeles. So ##1 - 5 got it right.

#13Author Bob C. (254583)  22 Mar 20, 02:01
    Comment

Wiki im Artikel über den gleichnamigen Film von 2016: "Der Titel des Films nimmt Bezug auf den Spitznamen der Stadt Los Angeles sowie auf eine euphemistische Bezeichnung eines realitätsfernen Seelenzustandes."

Der Film schreibt sich auch im Deutschen ohne Bindestrich. Im Deutschen wären, wenn nicht der Film gemeint ist, zwei Bindestriche vorzuziehen.

#14Author mbshu (874725) 22 Mar 20, 05:53

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt