Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Betreff

im Glauben

Quellen
    Im Glauben fliegen zu können sprang er aus dem Fenster.
    VerfasserLisi21 Mai 08, 00:16
    Kommentar
    In the belief that he could fly, he jumped out the window.
    #1VerfasserRobert -- US (unplugged)21 Mai 08, 00:18
    VorschlagBelieving
    Quellen
    Believing he could fly, he jumped out the window
    Kommentar
    "In the belief" sounds really strange/wrong to me
    #2VerfasserDan - US21 Mai 08, 00:23
    Kommentar
    Convinced he could fly...

would work, too.
    #3Verfasserdude (unplugged)21 Mai 08, 00:29
    Kommentar
    @Dan: not widely used, possibly; wrong, no. (Sometimes I use phrases that were current when I was growing up but not widely used today, especially if they are a close parallel in translation. But then I grew up actually understanding the King James Version of the Bible.)

See: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/belief
    Scroll down to "Translations"
    belief [bɪˈliːf] n (= opinion) → opinión f (= trust, faith); fe f (= acceptance as true); creencia;
    -it's beyond belief → es increíble;
    -in the belief that → creyendo que
    Collins Spanish Dictionary & Grammar 4th Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 1997, 2000, 2004, 2006

French belief [bɪˈliːf] n (= opinion) → conviction f (= trust, faith); foi f (= acceptance as true); croyance f;
    -it's beyond belief → c'est incroyable;
    -in the belief that → dans l'idée que
    Collins French Dictionary & Grammar 5th Edition 2007 © HarperCollins Publishers 1997, 2000, 2004, 2006, 2007

German belief [bɪˈliːf] n → Glaube m;
    (opinion) → Überzeugung f;
    -it's beyond belief → es ist unglaublich or nicht zu glauben;
    -in the belief that → im Glauben, dass
    Collins German Dictionary & Grammar 5th Edition 2007© HarperCollins Publishers 1997, 1999, 2004, 2006, 2007

Italian belief [bɪˈliːf] n (= opinion) → opinione f; convinzione f (= trust, faith); fede f (= acceptance as true); credenza;
    -in the belief that → nella convinzione che;
    -it's beyond belief → è incredibile
    Collins Italian Dictionary & Italian in Action 3rd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2000, 2005, 2006

See also: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/vikings/runes.html
    Viking warriors harnessed the arcane powers of the runes even in war. Runic inscriptions on swords entreated the gods either to protect the sword's owner or bring pain and misery to his enemy. The berserkers, whose reckless behavior on the battlefield gave rise to the word 'beserk,' may owe their reputation in part to the runes. These warriors customarily carved the runic symbol for Tyr, the god of war, onto their shields. They would then charge fearlessly into battle, in the belief that nothing could overcome the power of the runes.
    #4Verfasser Robert -- US (328606) 21 Mai 08, 05:59

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt