Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

English missing

nicht jeden Quatsch mitmachen

Subject

nicht jeden Quatsch mitmachen

Sources
    Bei der Diskussion, ob eine neue Version eines Software-Pakets in unserem Unternehmen eingeführt werden soll, äußerte jemand "Wir müssen nicht jeden Quatsch mitmachen, wir können auch mal eine Version überspringen." In ähnlichem Zusammenhang auch "Wir müssen nicht jeden Sch*** mitmachen."
    Comment
    Wie zitiere ich ihn gegenüber englischsprachigen Gesprächspartnern? "crap" oder "bullshit" fällt mir für "Quatsch" ein, aber wie bringe ich das in den Satzzusammenhang? Denn das "Quatsch" bezieht sich nicht auf die Qualität der neuen Programmversion (die hat er nicht getestet), sondern mehr auf den Wunsch, Upgrades schnell zu installieren.
    Author Ute-S (de) (603860) 21 Mar 10, 12:27
    Comment
    "Crap" and "bullshit" are pretty string words in the Englisch-speaking business world.
    Also, they are non-countable in and of themselves, which makes it difficult to use them in this context.
    The first thing that occurs to me for "mitmachen" with a negative connotation is "to go alnog with" -- for example, "We don't have to go along with every stupid upgrade that's released!"

I don't know if that helps much, but maybe it will get the ball rolling and help generate actual good ideas!
    #1AuthorBethy21 Mar 10, 12:52
    SuggestionWe needn't join a queue for the latest gadgets.
    #2Author Reinhard W. (237443) 21 Mar 10, 13:02
    Comment
    I like this from #1:
    We don't have to go along with every stupid upgrade!
    #3AuthorSteve UK21 Mar 10, 13:16
    Comment
    Thanks, Steve!
    Sorry about the typos, but I can't seem to edit my first entry. (Pretty strong words, not string! And "English-speaking," and "along.")
    Also, I wonder if other native speakers would agree: It's hard to come up with an all-purpose translation for "Wir müssen nicht jeden Quatsch mitmachen".
    #4AuthorBethy21 Mar 10, 13:34
    Comment
    "Wie zitiere ich ihn gegenüber englischsprachigen Gesprächspartnern?"

I would not quote the person at all, and avoid losing my English-speaking business partners. Words such as crap, bullshit, and stupid are just too crude to be used in normal civilized conversation.

Just say "We could skip the occasional minor upgrade".
    #5Authordoubledutch21 Mar 10, 15:44
    Comment
    I assumed a quote was necessary; for example, in a transcription of a meeting. If not, then the suggestion from doubledutch makes sense. Except that if you are not quoting, then you are likely using reported speeh speech; for example:

He suggested we could skip the occasional minor upgrade.

PS: I did use the term "upgrade" in my first post, for the German "Upgrade," but aren't we actually talking about updates?
    #6AuthorBethy21 Mar 10, 15:57
    Comment
    Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Of course I will not use this quote when speaking to the manufacturer of the program in question. It is more intended to IT people who think like me, that installing the new version makes sense because of its huge improvements. To complain about how ignorant this person is. So I think I will use Bethy's suggestion, which is polite, but by using "stupid" clearly shows his deprecative attitude. And no, we are not talking about a "minor update" ...

Regarding "upgrade" and "update": As I understand it, an upgrade is from one major version to the next (e.g. from Microsoft Office 2007 to version 2010). And usually you have to pay for it. While an update fixes bugs in a program (e.g. Service Pack 1), which is normally offered for free.
    #7Author Ute-S (de) (603860) 21 Mar 10, 20:33
    Comment
    I am not an expert, but I thought an upgrade was "to a better edition" (like "Pro" instead of "Basic") while update was "to a newer version." But I think you're right, "upgrade" is used today to denote a major new release. Actually, though, if it's just about fixing problems, it should be a service pack or a patch, although updates can also contain those as well.

OT
    By the way, every MS Word since Office 97 has been a downgrade! (In my opinion.) And don't get me started on Vista...
    #8AuthorBethy22 Mar 10, 01:42

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt