Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Betreff

commodity

Quellen
    Do you ever feel that people (your fans, the press) think they know you but they are missing something?
    Sam’s answer: I don’t believe that people really realise what a British commodity I am.
    Kommentar
    Mir wird nicht ganz klar, was "commodity" in diesem Fall bedeutet.

Thanks a lot in advance!!!
    Verfasserétoile filante (540038) 14 Apr. 10, 18:08
    Ergebnisse aus dem Wörterbuch
    commodity [KOMM.]die Ware  Pl.: die Waren
    commodity [KOMM.]der Artikel  Pl.: die Artikel
    commodity [KOMM.]der Gebrauchsgegenstand  Pl.: die Gebrauchsgegenstände
    commodity [KOMM.]der Rohstoff  Pl.: die Rohstoffe   - Grundstoff
    commodity [KOMM.]das Gut  Pl.: die Güter
    commodity-exporting  Adj. [KOMM.]rohstoffexportierend
    under a single commodity code unter einem einheitlichen Warencode
    Kommentar
    Er beschreibt sich hier einfach als "Ware".
    #1VerfasserPhillipp14 Apr. 10, 18:11
    Quellen
    wie wär's mit:
    ein typisch britisches Erzeugnis
    #2Verfasser rebel rouser (680706) 14 Apr. 10, 18:15
    Kommentar
    Thanks a lot, Phillipp!

Is there any difference between "commodity" and "product" or can they be used as synomnyms?
    #3Verfasserétoile filante (540038) 14 Apr. 10, 18:16
    Kommentar
    Well, no, they aren't synonyms at all: "British product" simply refers to something and where it was produced; "British commodity" refers to something that is traded/dealt with on the market and says that it is a British instance of that.
    #4VerfasserPhillipp14 Apr. 10, 18:23
    Kommentar
    Danke nochmal Phillip!

Danke auch an rebel rouser! "Ein typisch britisches Erzeugnis" klingt echt gut.
    #5Verfasserétoile filante (540038) 14 Apr. 10, 18:26
    Kommentar
    Erzeugnis wäre dann aber ein Produkt und das ist nach Phillipps Erklärung nicht das gleiche wie eine Ware.
    #6VerfasserZora [de] (593998) 14 Apr. 10, 18:28
    Quellen
    A "commodity" is a product that is just like every other product of the same class, either because it is naturally so, or because it is standardized in some way, and so all of it trades for the same price per unit. For example, natural gas (Methan) is traded as a commodity, at a certain price per bushel. Winter wheat in the USA is a commodity, traded at a certain price per BTU. A Rolls Royce is not a commodity -- it is different from a Ford, and they have different prices. In this quotation, the speaker is using "commodity" to mean that he is just like every other Brit. I like "typisch britisches Erzeugnis."
    #7VerfasserRobNYNY14 Apr. 10, 18:56
    Quellen
    Da fällt mir der Song von Elton John ein: 'I was made in England'
    #8Verfasser rebel rouser (680706) 14 Apr. 10, 19:36
    Kommentar
    @#7: That's one way of defining "commodity", although it overlooks the fact that one talks of "luxury commodities", for example. Still, even in your definition, the fact that a commodity is a product seen under the aspect of its being tied in to the trade nexus does come across: " ... all of it trades for ... ", " ... is traded as a ... ", but (inexplicably) you leave that out of account in your interpretation.

In this quotation, the speaker is using "commodity" to mean that he is just like every other Brit.

I don't see it that way. That's part of what he is saying, yes. But he's saying something over and above that: he's considering himself as an article on the market--something dealt with, traded, bought and sold.

The meaning as I see it is given in M-W at II.2:

"commodity II. 2: One that is subject to ready exchange or exploitation within a market: 'stars as individuals and as commodities of the film industry'--Film Quarterly."

*edit*

The relevant definition in OED would be 6b:

"commodity 6b: fig. and transf. Anything that one ‘trades’ or ‘deals’ in."
    #9VerfasserPhillipp14 Apr. 10, 21:10

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt