"English Stilton is a blue-veined cheese
"Liam McGivern, landlord of the Bell Inn, which is behind the move, said the rules meant they could not call it Stilton but could produce packaging saying “blue-veined cheese
made in Stilton”."http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/89792...
"We are in Stilton, the village that gave its name to the white or blue-veined cheese
you probably ate by the truckle-load over Christmas."http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/89902...
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003
(Cookery) a blue-veined cheese
with a strong flavour, made from ewe's and goat's milk: matured in caves
[named after Roquefort, village in S France]"http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Roquefort
1. A generic term for any cheese containing visible blue-green molds that contribute a characteristic tart, sharp flavor and aroma; also known as a blue-veined cheese
2. A group of Roquefort-style cheeses made in the United States and Canada from cow's or goat's milk rather than ewe's milk and injected with molds that form blue-green veins; also known as blue mold cheese
or blue-veined cheese
The French word for blue that is used in reference to the Blue-veined cheese
varieties. Blue molds are typically Penicillium roqueforti or Penicillium glaucum. Famous varieties include Bleu, Gorgonzola and Stilton.®Blue-veined
A characteristic of cheese varieties that develop blue or green streaks of harmless, flavor-producing mold throughout the interior. Generally, veining gives cheese an assertive and piquant flavor.http://www.learninghowtocook.com/site/images/...
Descriptors used on packaging should reflect the legal description of Stilton Cheese found in the PDO and CTM regulations.
The following provides guidelines and describe the key characteristics of the different types of Stilton Cheese.
• Standard Blue Stilton – an open textured, blue-veined cheese
with a creamy flavour and tangy finish
• Creamy Blue Stilton and Mature Blue Stilton – an open textured, blue-veined cheese
with a creamy flavour and texture and a mellow finish.
• Vintage Stilton – an open textured, blue-veined cheese
with a dry mouth feel and a strong complex taste and a creamy finish."http://www.stiltoncheese.com/userfiles/file/S...