- A sleeveless over-garment similar to the waistcoat though often baring a zip front, a sporty addition to the wardrobe, popular also in leather and fur.http://www.catwalking.com/editorial/GLOSS/glo...
Sample pictures under: http://www.catwalking.com/editorial/GLOSS/glo...gi·let
[ ee láy ] (plural gi·lets)
1. vest-type bodice: a bodice to a dress or a ballet dancer's costume that is shaped like a vest
2. waist- or hip-length jacket: a light sleeveless jacket, similar to a waistcoat but often longer, and sometimes made of padded or quilted material
[Late 19th century. < French] http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_561509250/g...gilet
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a waist- or hip-length garment, usually sleeveless, fastening up the front; sometimes made from a quilted fabric, and designed to be worn over a blouse, shirt, etc.
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a bodice resembling a waistcoat in a woman's dress
3. (Performing Arts / Ballet) such a bodice as part of a ballet dancer's costume
[French, literally: waistcoat]http://www.thefreedictionary.com/giletgilet
noun (plural gilets pronunc. same)
a light sleeveless padded jacket.
late 19th century: French, 'waistcoat', from Spanish jileco, from Turkish yelekhttp://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/...