[finan.] --- der Groschen groat
--- der Groschen penny
--- der GroschenDictionary: Groschen
noun (plural same)
* (until the introduction of the euro in 2002) a monetary unit in Austria, equal to one hundredth of a schilling.
* historical a small German silver coin.
* informal (until the introduction of the euro in 2002) a German ten-pfennig piecehttp://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/...
[ grṓsh'n ] (plural gro·schen)
1. subunit of former Austrian currency: a subunit of the former Austrian currency
2. former coin worth 10 pfennigs: a former German coin worth 10 pfennigs ( informal )
3. old German coin: a former small German silver coin
[Early 17th century. Via German< medieval Latin (denarius) grossus "thick (penny)"]http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictio...gro•schen
Pronunciation: (grō'shun), [key]
1. a zinc or aluminum coin of Austria, the 100th part of a schilling.
2. a German 10-pfennig piece made of nickel.
3. any of the silver coins of various German regions first introduced in the 13th century.http://dictionary.infoplease.com/groschen