10 replies   
Correction

skive off / to skive off work

[Brit.] [coll.] -

sich verdrücken / krank feiern

Examples/ definitions with source references
Dictionary: skive

skive listed in the OALD as “British English, Informal”
http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/d...

Here is the listing from the CALD:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary...
skive verb (also skive off) UK informal WORKPLACE

Definition: to do something else when you should be working:
We realized that we could skive without the management noticing.
He was always skiving off and going to the cinema.

Also listed are derivations, like skiver and skiving.

For an example of poor lexicography, compare merriam-webster.com, which give example sentences that clearly illustrate a definition other than the one listed.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ski...

Definition of SKIVE: to cut off (as leather or rubber) in thin layers or pieces : pare
Examples of SKIVE
He works for his mother and feels he can skive off whenever he feels like it.
She skived off school twice last month.

The entry in AHD only gives the meaning of paring: http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictiona...

TRANSITIVE VERB: skived, skiv·ing, skives
To cut thin layers off (leather or rubber, for example); pare.

Comment
Below are some discussions in LEO that support the BE tag.

See related discussion: Was heißt Schule schwänzen? , where AE speakers suggest other options; skive off is given as a BE alternative in #5.

Here’s another thread, where skive comes up as a BE option and not AE: related discussion: schwänzen

And here, wpr (AE) says he’s never heard of skiver: related discussion: Drückeberger
AuthorAmy-MiMi (236989) 15 Aug 13, 17:24
Comment
So what are Fred and George's "Skiving Snackboxes" called in the US version of the Harry Potter series? ;o))
#1AuthorDragon (238202) 15 Aug 13, 17:38
Comment
1) krankfeiern = to stay away from work
2) sich verdrücken = to leave somewhere early without permission

sind zwei verschiedene Begriffe und müssen daher auch getrennt diskutiert und eingetragen werden.

#2AuthorRodos (930149) 15 Aug 13, 18:24
Comment
A LEO-search on "skive" currently returns the following: Dictionary: skive

My wrong entry has to do with the fact that items #3 and #6 are not currently tagged as BE and I (and the OALD, CALD and AHD) assert that they should be.
#3AuthorAmy-MiMi (236989) 15 Aug 13, 18:32
Comment
When we are asking Doris to change the existing entry by adding a tag, it would be expedient to include any other necessary change in the process. So, let's check the meanings, too.

Does "to skive off" have the meaning of leaving early without permission (sich (vorzeitig) verdrücken, sich abseilen)? For instance: He went to the lecture, but skived off.

#4AuthorRodos (930149) 15 Aug 13, 18:49
Comment
So, let's check the meanings, too.

Yes, let's. That's why I linked to and cited definitions in the OP.

From the OALD definition linked above:

to avoid work or school by staying away or leaving early
SYNONYM bunk off
‘Where's Tom?’ ‘Skiving as usual.’
skive off She always skives off early on Fridays.

From the CALD entry included in the OP:

Definition: To do something else when you should be working.
Example: He was always skiving off and going to the cinema.

Please feel free to cite additional sources if you think there is something else incorrect about the LEO entry besides the missing BE tags.
#5AuthorAmy-MiMi (236989) 15 Aug 13, 19:05
Comment
From #5 it appears that the LEO entry "to skive off [coll.] - sich verdrücken / sich abseilen" is wrong and should read:

to skive off early [coll.] - sich verdrücken/abseilen
#6AuthorRodos (930149) 15 Aug 13, 19:18
Context/ examples
relevant link showing that "skive off" is BE:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mble/html/NF2712585?...
Comment
Substantive contributions supporting or contradicting the OP, preferably by native speakers of BE or AE, would be welcome.

@Rodos: Your profile indicates that you aren't a native speaker of BE. I'm not either, which is why I provided information that supports my proposed correction. I am a native speaker of English, however, and disagree that #5 shows that the entry should be "skive off early". The adverb "early" may be included, but it's not a mandatory part of the idiom, as is shown by example sentences in the dictionary entries. Additional internet searching supports this conclusion.

I assume you are trying to be helpful here, but the LEO team would prefer that comments in this part of the forum are substantive and supported by evidence. If you have something like that to contribute, please do.
#7AuthorAmy-MiMi (236989) 15 Aug 13, 19:52
Comment
Ob es dir passt oder nicht, Ami-MiMi, die LEO-Foren sind für alle offen, ob deutsche oder englische oder sonstige Muttersprachler und JEDER kann konstruktive Beiträge in JEDER Sprache liefern. Zum Beispiel auch Amerikaner wie du zum britischen Englisch. Die Diskutanten sollten nur Sprachkompetenz und Sprachgefühl haben. Viele Muttersprachler haben das nicht, d.h. das Merkmal "native speaker" an sich ist kein Qualitätsgarant!

Soweit es das eigentliche Thema betrifft, gehe ich davon aus, dass du die beiden Bedeutungen #2 sauber untescheiden kannst. Wenn dem so ist, dann lautet dein Argument in #7, dass ein Satz wie "He went to the lecture, but skived off." im britischen Englisch dasselbe bedeutet und genauso gängig und idiomatisch ist wie "He went to the lecture, but skived off early."

Können das britische Muttersprachler bestätigen?

#8AuthorRodos (930149) 15 Aug 13, 22:26
Comment
I support the view that skive / skive off is BE, as the references given above suggest, and should be tagged as such.

Can skive off mean to skip out early? Yes, it can, as shown in the following example:

When I was a kid we used to skive off school on Wednesdays instead of doing sports. We always got caught of course, presumably because the teachers used to do the same when they were fourteen!
http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml

Here "skive off school on Wednesdays" does not mean that the students didn't go to school at all on Wednesdays, but simply that they left early, i.e., before sports started in the afternoon.
#9AuthorSD3 (451227) 15 Aug 13, 23:39
Comment
I suppose, if you omitted the complement "instead of doing sports", the example #9 would be interpreted as skiving the whole day. So, it would appear that you need "early" for the verb to explicitly mean "sich verdrücken", which doesn't have complements at all in German.

we skived off school - wir haben Schule geschwänzt
we skived off work - wir haben krankgefeiert
we skived off early - wir haben uns verdrückt (Schule oder Arbeit)

BTW: The marking [sl.] should be changed to [coll.] in the entry "to skive Brit."
Dictionary: skive
#10AuthorRodos (930149) 16 Aug 13, 00:30
i Only registered users are allowed to post in this forum

LEO uses cookies in order to facilitate the fastest possible website experience with the most functions. In some cases cookies from third parties are also used. For further information about this subject please refer to the information under  Leo’s Terms of use / Data protection (Cookies)