Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

Translation correct?

euro adoption - Euro-Einführung

Source Language Term

euro adoption noun pol.

Correct?

Euro-Einführung

Examples/ definitions with source references
    Valdis Dombrovskis stood up against international pressure to devalue Latvia's currency, in order to stay on schedule with euro adoption in 2014.

Comment
    Einführung des Euro
    Authorwmw (386353) 31 Dec 13, 19:45
    Comment
    Ja, geht hier beides ...
    #1Authorno me bré (700807) 31 Dec 13, 19:46
    Comment
    Was the source text written by a native speaker of English (i.e., do you have a source that you can indicate)? The comma before "in order" is wrong in this case, and "euro adoption in 2014" is rather telegraphic, which isn't the case for the rest of the sentence. (I would have expected "the adoption of the euro in 2014" if "adoption" must be used....) It may just be bad writing, though. For "Einführung," I would tend to use "introduction" -- as this sentence could be written as "... on schedule with the introduction of the euro in 2014." Is there a German word that would more closely "imitate" the use of "adoption" here?
    There may be a difference between "adopting" the euro and "introducing" the euro. It could be said that the original euro-zone countries "adopted" the euro as a basis for their currency for a few years before the actual euro coins and bills were introduced.
    #2Authorhbberlin (420040) 02 Jan 14, 11:34
    Comment
    Is there a German word that would more closely "imitate" the use of "adoption" here?
    Das wäre "Übernahme", und vielleicht kommt es da auch her.
    #3Authorigm (387309) 02 Jan 14, 15:08
    Context/ examples
    Diese Seite enthält eine allgemeine Beschreibung des Prozesses zur Übernahme des Euro.
    Comment
    -
    #4Authorwmw (386353) 02 Jan 14, 15:49
    Comment
    Here is the link to wmw's original (paraphrased) quote:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25332243
    The driving force behind Latvia's desire to join the eurozone was Valdis Dombrovskis.
    Taking over as prime minister at the height of the crisis in 2009, he stood up against international pressure to devalue Latvia's currency, in order to stay on schedule with euro adoption in 2014.

I agree, the comma indicates bad writing or bad editing.

I notice that the BBC author used "devalue" rather than "debase":
    related discussion: Währungsabwertung - currency debasement
    #5AuthorAgalinis (714472) 02 Jan 14, 18:09
    Context/ examples
    ...euro adoption in 2014.
    Comment
    = Einführung, Übernahmen, ...?
    #6Authorwmw (386353) 02 Jan 14, 18:15

•  
  •  
  •  
  •