Falscher Eintrag

to maffick [Brit.] - vor Freude johlen

4 Antworten   
Korrektur

to maffick

[Brit.] [veraltet] -

vor Freude johlen

Beispiele/ Definitionen mit Quellen
http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/e...
Definitions verb
(intransitive) (British, archaic) to celebrate extravagantly and publicly

maf·fick
intr.v.maf·ficked, maf·fick·ing, maf·ficks
Chiefly British
To rejoice or celebrate with boisterous public demonstrations.

[After Mafeking, South Africa, town with a British garrison besieged for 217 days during the Boer War whose relief (May 17, 1900) was celebrated in London.]

The rejoicing in British cities on news of the rescue produced "maffick," a word that was popular for a while, especially in journalistic writing, but is now relatively uncommon.

Sorry, no search result for maffick.
Kommentar
It would be good to check the OED on this word. It is certainly rare and should have some kind of tag, either archaic or rare.

Supposedly it comes from the name of the city Mafeking and refers to a historical event in 1900. it is odd, then, that Collins shows usage in 1749, falling to 0 in 1810 and popping up to 1 in 1922, then occasionally appearing between then and 1965.
VerfasserAmy-MiMi (236989) 23 Mai 16, 03:37
Kommentar
Agreed. The 1749 instance is likely due to an OCR error. It may be related to the fact that the "long s", ſ', then still in use in English typefaces, looks quite similar to the letter f.
#1VerfasserNorbert Juffa (236158) 23 Mai 16, 06:54
Kommentar
I had certainly never heard of it, so I support adding a marking. Norbert's explanation for the spurious 1749 instance sounds plausible to me.

Just out of curiosity, I checked the (print) OED. It doesn't have an entry for 'maffick' at all, but under 'mastic' (a gum or resin, or its tree, timber, etc.), there are quite a few examples of the spelling 'mastick' in the 16th and 17th centuries--none exactly from 1749, but the word and the spelling were evidently not at all uncommon in the period. If Collins gives an actual citation and not just a date, you could see if any of those senses fit.

The OED also has an entry for 'Massic,' an obsolete term for 'an ancient wine produced in Campania, Italy,' but no instances of a -ck variant spelling, so that may be less likely.

Webster's unabridged (print) gives one citation from Nancy Mitford: 'caused a mafficking such as has rarely been seen.' (And the next entry, for your Monday entertainment, is a dialect English word 'maffle' meaning to mumble, stammer, or bewilder. Who knew.)
#2Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 23 Mai 16, 08:15
Vorschläge

to maffick (archaic, South Africa: rare)

-

Kontext/ Beispiele
maffick
Pronunciation: /ˈmafɪk/
verb
[no object] To celebrate uproariously, rejoice extravagantly, especially on an occasion of national celebration (originally the relief of the British garrison besieged in Mafeking (now Mafikeng), South Africa, in May 1900). In later use usually with pejorative connotations.

maffick /ˈmæfɪk/v. intrans.Rare exc. hist.
Origin: Back-formation fr. Mafeking (now Mafikeng), a town besieged by Boer soldiers during the Anglo-Boer War.
To celebrate in a boisterous and jubilant manner.
First used in Brit. Eng. of the celebration of the relief of Mafikeng in London in 1900.
1900Pall Mall Gaz. (U.K.) 21 May 2We trust Cape Town..will ‘maffick’ today, if we may coin a word, as we at home did on Friday and Saturday.
1901W.S. SutherlandS. Afr. Sketches 34Of course we ‘Mafficked’ with the best of them when the news came. In a small way, we considered ourselves comrades with our good friends in Mafeking — brother-besieged, so to speak.
1904‘Saki’ in76 Short Stories (1956) Mother, may I go and maffick, Tear around and hinder traffic?
1963S. CloeteRags of Glory 307The [Mafeking] siege of seven months was over, and all England was in an uproar. London had gone mad and the verb ‘to maffick’ was born.
1977J. Podbrey inQuarry ’77 115This was my night for stopping traffic,..This was my time to roar and maffick.
1980S. Afr. Panorama Dec. 23The Tswanas were mafficking (celebrating uproariously), as had the British 80 years previously in London when they first heard of the Relief of Mafeking.
1991S. Clarke‘Vanity Fair’ in S. Afr. 190Mafeking was finally relieved on 17 May 1900 by a combined force...Rejoicing continued for two days, and a new word describing frenzied jubilation — to ‘maffick’ — was added to the English language.
Hence maffickn., a boisterous celebration; maffickern., one who celebrates in a boisterous manner; maffickingvbl n., riotous celebration.
1902Westminster Gaz. (U.K.) 4 June 7The Peace ‘maffick’ has not yet been completely worked off.
1902Daily Chron. (U.K.) 9 July 6We have no wish to advocate the hysteria of which the name is ‘mafficking.’
1910Blackwood’s Mag. (U.K.) July 9The ‘Mafficker’ may hereafter come within sight of the enemy.
1957D. Grinnell-MilneBaden-Powell at Mafeking 218The verb ‘to maffick’, the noun ‘mafficking’ were presently coined and thrust hastily into the dictionary to reprehend hooliganism and to denounce the ‘noisy rejoicing of the mob’.
1986Cape Times 22 Jan. 8There is..no mention here of ‘mafficking’ — a word widely used up to and during World War II to describe riotous rejoicings like those that followed the relief of Mafeking in 1900.
1991G. Zwirn inSettlerVol.65No.2, 10A linguistic curiosity from the time of the Boer War is mafficking...London newspapers seized upon the gerund suggested by ‘Mafeking’ and, by changing the spelling, produced mafficking. Then, as now, the meaning is extravagant or excessive jubilation.
Kommentar
supported.

I did find an entry in the online OED and although it doesn't mention it's archaic I would say so.

It does seem to be still in current use in South Africa - although rare - so perhaps that could be mentioned.

#3Verfasserjamqueen (1129860) 23 Mai 16, 11:09
Kontext/ Beispiele
A Dictionary of South African English on Historical Principles (Oxford University Press 1996):
maffick /'mæfık/ v. intrans. Rare exc. hist. [Backformation fr. Mafeking (now Mafikeng ), a town besieged by Boer soldiers during the Anglo-Boer War.] To celebrate in a boisterous an jubilant manner.
First use in Brit. Eng. of the celebration of the relief of Mafikeng in London in 1900.
1900 Pall Mall Gaz. 21 May 2 We trust Cape Town .. will 'maffick' today, if we may coin a word, as we at home did on Friday and Saturday. [...]
Kommentar
I support the tagging suggested by jamqueen.
#4VerfasserNorbert Juffa (236158) 23 Mai 16, 16:29
i Nur registrierte Benutzer können in diesem Forum posten

LEO benutzt Cookies, um das schnellste Webseiten-Erlebnis mit den meisten Funktionen zu ermöglichen. Es werden teilweise auch Cookies von Diensten Dritter gesetzt. Weiterführende Informationen erhalten Sie in den Hinweisen zu den Nutzungsbedingungen / Datenschutz (Cookies) von LEO.