• Sonderzeichen
  • Lautschrift
Neuer Eintrag

to throw someone a curveball [Redewendung] - jmd. hängen lassen

15 Antworten   
Beispiele/ Definitionen mit Quellen
"Normally they just talk about that week's events at the Goethe Institut, but every once in a while they throw me a curveball." schrieb ein Freund aus San Francisco. Seine eigene Erklärung hierzu: "Literally, it refers to a type of ball throw in baseball that curves away and surprises the person who is trying to swing at it. Figuratively, it means when you’re expecting someone to do something, but they surprise you and do something else. Usually, it’s a bad thing."
Verfasserprofessortiki (897961) 10 Jan 18, 11:15
Kontext/ Beispiele
throw someone a curveball
informal Unexpectedly present someone with a challenge or disruption.
‘just when you think things are working out, life throws you a curveball’

"hängen lassen" trifft es nicht.
#1Verfassereastworld (238866) 10 Jan 18, 11:32
Vermutlich dürfte "auf dem falschen Fuß erwischen" einigermaßen passen.
#2VerfasserB.L.Z. Bubb (601295) 10 Jan 18, 11:50
Na kommt schon, es gibt bestimmt irgendwas in der Richtung aus dem Fußball. Bananenflanke ins Gesicht oder so was. Profis?
#3Verfasserlas. (377311) 10 Jan 18, 16:14
Support eastworld: auch laut Merriam-Webster sind diese curveballs "difficult and unexpected problems". Beispiel: "Life threw him a few curveballs, but he never gave up".

Also im Sinne von unerwarteten Herausforderungen, die man jetzt so gar nicht brauchen kann. Ist Fußball eigentlich komplex genug, um da einen entsprechenden Begriff zu stellen? *grins-duck-und-weg*
#4VerfasserPinscheline (1070141) 10 Jan 18, 16:51
Kontext/ Beispiele
Das heißt glaube ich Effet-schuss (ist aber wohl zu technisch). Wenn der Baseball komplex genug dafür ist, dann wäre der Fußball das wohl auch. Wie heißt den der gedrehte Ball im Volksmund? (Bin nicht vom Fach, aber es gibt sicherlich einen Namen dafür, so was wie Bananenflanke, angeschnittener Ball). Und hier wäre es dann ein Schuss und kein Wurf natürlich.

P.S. Ich bin aber auch grundsätzlich dafür, dass in Büchern die ganzen Baseball-Seiten ins Fußball übersetzt werden (gerne vorauschauend auch im englischen Original schon), damit das verständlicher wird.
#5Verfasserlas. (377311) 10 Jan 18, 17:14

to throw someone a curveball

jemanden auf dem falschen Fuß erwischen

Die Bananenflanke ist zwar mit dem curveball vergleichbar, aber der curveball ist eine feste Redewendung, die im Alltag nicht gerade selten ist. Von daher halte ich das "auf dem falschen Fuß erwischen" für eine halbwegs passende Übersetzung.
#6VerfasserIna R. (425467) 10 Jan 18, 20:19
Ginge hier evtl. auch "jemanden ins Leere laufen lassen" ?
#7Verfasserno me bré (700807) 10 Jan 18, 22:01

to throw so. a curve ball (auch:) curveball

[fig.] -

Kontext/ Beispiele
So far I think the best suggestion is Bubb's and Ina's, though it might be clearer to add something like 'versuchen':

versuchen, jmdn. auf dem falschen Fuß zu erwischen

We might also consider something along the lines of

jmdm. ein Bein stellen

Or could you say something like

jmdm. / für jmdn. ein Problem darstellen ?

In any case, the entry should include the original spelling 'curve ball' as well as the more recent one-word spelling.
#8Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 10 Jan 18, 23:49
Kontext/ Beispiele
Cambridge Dict.:
throw (sb) a curve (ball)
(mainly us and australian english informal) -
to surprise someone with something that is difficult or unpleasant to deal with:
Mother Nature threw us a curve ball last winter with record-breaking amounts of snow.

to throw so. a curve [ugs.] - jmdm. aus dem Konzept bringen [fig.]
to throw so. a curve [ugs.] - jmdm. überraschen
to throw so. a curve [ugs.] - jmdm. überrumpeln
to throw so. a curve [ugs.] - jmdm. verwirren
Siehe Wörterbuch: throw curve

Siehe auch: throw a curve - verwirren - #2
One dictionary, though not an AE one, lists this idiom as basically the same as 'throw so. a curve.'

I'm not sure I completely agree, but on the other hand it's probably at least in the, er, ballpark.

If we were considering that as a variant, we might also want to consider 'throw / knock so. for a curve / for a loop' ...

... as I seem to have suggested myself in the discussion on 'throw a curve - verwirren,' which may have been the basis for those existing entries, and which includes examples and dictionary citations.

#9Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 11 Jan 18, 00:03
Kontext/ Beispiele
• Right before we leave, H. throws us a curve ball by reassigning all the major positions in the group to different people. I'm the new platoon leader. ... We're completely unprepared for our new jobs.
• I call it the three buckets, putting your money. Number one bucket, simple savings account. You're not going to get a great yield, but you know it's safe if life throws you a curve ball.
• Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe threw another curve ball on Wednesday with his announcement of a huge 28 trillion yen -- $265 billion -- fiscal package.
• we need to be paying attention to how much more we need to better be prepared for the full spectrum of threats out there. It's not just smallpox. It's not just anthrax. It could be Mother Nature that throws us the next curve ball.
• The North's insistence on splitting the US-South Korea alliance endures because the North has nothing else to focus on, nothing that appeals as much to the national psyche of victimization. The time has therefore come to throw Pyongyang a curve ball ...
• The judge decided prosecutors would be allowed to present some medical evidence ... , even though the appeals court set strict limits. ... That was a curve ball. I felt like we were right back where we were ...
• you have a situation where North Korea really throws you a curve ball, and we're talking about proliferation of weapons of mass destruction. A country which would probably sell anything to anybody who had hard cash ...
• what is keeping us -- as a nation, as a religious community, or even as individuals -- from stepping up to the plate in the face of this enormous environmental curve ball?
• The trick to parenting, I figured, was knowing what was to come. This was going to be a snap! It wasn't long before my son Jordan, obviously sensing our security with parenting, threw us a curve ball.

• Two comets, however, threw a curveball at scientists who had counted out comets as the source of Earth's water.
• Curveball for U.S.-China summit: The U.S. missile strike against Syria late Thursday is overshadowing Chinese President Xi Jinping's first summit meeting with Trump
• Having absorbed the content of many classes and homilies, I thought I had Jesus all figured out. But my friend had thrown me an unexpected curveball. I realized that not everyone knew him as I did.
• K. was delighted with the work of the track club's staff, the race's 3,400 volunteers and Atlanta's police and fire departments. Together, they handled the curveball of the rain and a lightning strike less than a half-mile from the start area at around 8:20 a.m. that necessitated roughly 25,000 participants taking shelter ... for about 40 minutes before their starts.
• Mr. Redzepi's penchant for tossing curveball ingredients to his crew does not seem to faze him. "If he says, 'Do something with onion,' onions are so sweet," he said.
• President Franois Hollande's France has turned out to be one of the closest allies of the United States under President Obama ... It's a good thing because otherwise, the Obama White House might have been less magnanimous in dealing with the jarring social curveball that Mr. Hollande let loose as Washington prepared for his arrival. Shortly before this week's state visit ... Hollande announced that his relationship with companion and unofficial French first lady Valrie Trierweiler was over. Hollande had been photographed arriving via scooter for overnight visits at the apartment of a French actress.
• Next month, a breakup throws a curveball into Y.'s diet routine.
• A key challenge for Apple was that soon after meeting Siri, a person may experience a powerful urge to trip up this virtual know-it-all: to ask it the meaning of life, whether it believes in God, or whether it knows R2D2. Apple chose to handle this phenomenon in an inventive way: by making sure Siri gets the joke and plays along. Thus it has a clever answer for just about any curveball thrown at it and even varies its responses, a trick that makes it seem eerily human at times.
• The questioning was civil but pointed at first. Then Ramos threw a curveball. The veteran broadcaster wanted to know whether Romney felt that he was a Mexican American, since his father was bom in Mexico. The question put Romney, whose great-grandfather had fled the United States to avoid arrest for practicing polygamy, in a supremely awkward position. If he said yes, conservatives might think him even more suspect. But if he said no, he would lose one of the few opportunities he had to connect with a vitally important audience.
• "... being diagnosed with diabetes can ruin your psyche." ... getting the diagnosis "was a curveball that you're not expecting," Will said. "It forced me to watch what I eat and how exercise affects blood sugar."
• The Arab awakening is the biggest curveball thrown at Obama to date. The president has managed the turmoil and tensions relatively well ...
• If you're a fan of fictional courtroom dramas, you might think that every criminal trial ends with a bombshell -- maybe it's a surprise witness, a curveball question, an 11th-hour confession. Well, that kind of thing almost never happens in a real trial. It did in our next story, one last, unexpected twist in a case full of surprises ...
• Still, I believe rain doesn't ruin our travels - it enhances them. For one thing, it throws a curveball into our plans, compelling us to improvise. And when we travel, improvising almost always is a positive thing because it forces us out of our boxes. I wouldn't have found my favorite ceramic coffeepot if a nasty squall hadn't forced me to take refuge in a dusty secondhand curio shop in Amsterdam.
• As I continued to observe, each target I selected lay somewhere in the 26mm eyepieces field of view. Even when I tried to throw it a curveball, such as selecting Vega (Alpha a Lyrae) when the star was at the zenith (the overhead point), the AutoStar performed well.
• At first glance, this pattern throws a figurative curveball at the "healthy herds" predation mechanism: How can a predator enhance disease?

Here are some more recent examples from the contemporary AE text corpus.

The vast majority were for the literal baseball sense, but I didn't copy them, though that sense should probably also be represented in the dictionary if anyone wants to write about baseball in German.
#10Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 11 Jan 18, 01:36
Und ist "auf dem falschen Fuss erwischen" nicht eine Fussball- oder wenigstens Sport-Metapher (Tennis? Wenn der Ball auf das Standbein gespielt wird, braucht man laenger, um ihn anzunehmen.)
#11Verfassersursulapitschi (677359) 11 Jan 18, 13:45
"auf dem falschen Fuss erwischen" - "to catch someone on the back foot" - I always thought this originally came from boxing (and other forms of unarmed combat)
#12VerfasserSP (UK) (792698) 11 Jan 18, 16:56
Kontext/ Beispiele
jemanden aus dem Konzept bringen (jemanden in einer Tätigkeit, beim Reden o.Ä. aus dem Konzept geraten lassen: er, das bringt mich aus dem Konzept; lass dich dadurch, von ihr nicht aus dem Konzept bringen)

anders als erwartet sein, unerwartet kommen, etwas Unerwartetes tun und deshalb in Erstaunen versetzen
ihre Absage, die Entscheidung hat mich überrascht
er überraschte mich mit einer Frage
es überrascht nicht, dass so wenig Leute kamen
jemanden, der völlig unvorbereitet ist, mit etwas überraschen, sodass er sich nicht wehren oder nicht ausweichen kann
den Gegner überrumpeln
lass dich von dem Vertreter bloß nicht überrumpeln
er hat sie mit seiner Frage, seiner Einladung überrumpelt
unsicher machen; aus der Fassung bringen; durcheinanderbringen
die Frage, das Ereignis hat ihn verwirrt
seine Gegenwart verwirrt sie
die schrecklichen Erlebnisse haben seinen Geist, ihm die Sinne verwirrt (gehoben; haben ihn verstört, in einen verwirrten Geisteszustand gebracht)
?? to throw so. a curve [ugs.] - jmdm. aus dem Konzept bringen [fig.]
?? to throw so. a curve [ugs.] - jmdm. überraschen
?? to throw so. a curve [ugs.] - jmdm. überrumpeln 
?? to throw so. a curve [ugs.] - jmdm. verwirren 

to throw so. a curve [ugs.] - jmdn. aus dem Konzept bringen [fig.]
to throw so. a curve [ugs.] - jmdn. überraschen
to throw so. a curve [ugs.] - jmdn. überrumpeln 
to throw so. a curve [ugs.] - jmdn. verwirren 

#9 hm -- us: ... as I seem to have suggested myself in the discussion on 'throw a curve - verwirren,' which may have been the basis for those existing entries, and which includes examples and dictionary citations.

Falls diese Ausdrücke nicht regional ebenfalls mit Dativobjekt konstruiert werden können, hoffe ich, dass sie dieses Mal - wie von hm -- us damals vorgeschlagen - mit Akkusativobjekt aufgenommen und die bisherigen Einträge gelöscht werden.
#13VerfasserLoerguen (1094916) 12 Jan 18, 00:38
Thanks -- I think that was just a typo inadvertently introduced on my part. It has become somewhat harder to copy LEO entries, as even when you select something on screen, the copy function often doesn't copy the entire selection, so I have to reconstruct the entries manually.

I wasn't actually suggesting merely copying the existing entries. I wish that German speakers could consider options such as those in #8, and see if they match well enough with the contextual examples.
#14Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 12 Jan 18, 01:33
Nun denn hm-us, lass es mich versuchen :-)

1. versuchen, jmd. auf dem falschen Fuß zu erwischen
Versuchen ist hier MMN zu viel. Jmd. auf dem falschen Fuß erwischen impliziert schon, dass ein Anderer da versucht hat, den jmd. zu täuschen. Der normale Satz beinhaltet auch dieses unvorbereitet erwischt zu werden, dass eben nicht das passiert, was man erwartet hat. (Vielleicht kommt der Spruch sogar eh aus dem Sport.) Also kein "versuchen" nötig.

2. Jemandem ein Bein stellen
Wenn man auf dem falschen  Fuß erwischt wird, dann kann man die Situation noch retten. Auch muss derjenige, der einen so erwischt hat, nicht unbedingt böse Absicht gezeigt haben. Wenn einer dem anderen jedoch ein Bein stellt, dann ist der Fall des anderen unausweichlich und der eine hat dies in der vollen Absicht getan, dem anderen zu schaden. Also, nein, keine gute Übersetzung.

3. für jmd. ein Problem darstellen
Natürlich ist der curveball bzw. die Situation, auf dem falschen Fuß erwischt zu werden in gewisser Hinsicht ein Problem, dass es zu lösen gilt. Aber der obige Ausspruch deckt nicht den Faktor des Unerwarteten ab.

Ich hoffe, das konnte dir helfen!

Üüüübrigens: zum Thema ähnliche Sportmetapher: Gibt es nicht den Ausdruck "aus der falschen Ecke kommen"? Und bezieht sich das nicht auf einen unerwarteten Kick beim Fußball? Ich könnte aber natürlich gerade völlig neben mir stehen... :-)
#15VerfasserPinscheline (1070141) 12 Jan 18, 14:36
i Nur registrierte Benutzer können in diesem Forum posten
LEO benutzt Cookies, um das schnellste Webseiten-Erlebnis mit den meisten Funktionen zu ermöglichen. Es werden teilweise auch Cookies von Diensten Dritter gesetzt. Weiterführende Informationen erhalten Sie in den Hinweisen zu den Nutzungsbedingungen / Datenschutz (Cookies) von LEO.