AHD5 (paperback, 2012):
anesthesia /also/ anaesthesia - Total or partial loss of physical sensation caused by disease or an anesthetic.
anesthetic /also/ anaesthetic - (adj.) Causing anesthesia. (n.) An agent or substance that induces anesthesia.
anesthesia /also/ anaesthesia -
1. Total or partial loss of sensation, especially tactile sensibility, induced by disease, injury, acupuncture, or an anesthetic, such as chloroform or nitrous oxide.
2. Local or general insensibility to pain with or without the loss of consciousness, induced by an anesthetic.
3. Medication that induces partial or total loss of sensation and may be topical, local, regional, or general, depending on the method of administration and area of the body affected.https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html...
anesthetic /also/ anaesthetic -
1. Relating to or resembling anesthesia.
2. Causing anesthesia.
1. An agent that causes loss of sensation with or without the loss of consciousness.
2. Something likened to this in effect: For some people watching television is an anesthetic for the mind.https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html...