•  
  • Falscher Eintrag

shop ugs. - die Uni

Beispiele/ Definitionen mit Quellen
    Kommentar

Zur Vermeidung von Missverständnissen u. Unklarkeiten schlage ich vor, dem Eintrag beidseits Kursiverläuterungen hinzuzufügen (analog zu den anderen "Uni"-Einträgen):

shop [ugs.] --- die Uni

Siehe Wörterbuch: uni

shop [ugs.] - university --- die Uni -  kurz für "Universität"

Verfasserlingua franca (48253) 30 Mär. 20, 12:40
    Kommentar

While we're at it, I strongly suspect that that should be marked BE or similar--I've never encountered it in AE. What do other NAESs say?

#1Verfasserhbberlin (420040) 30 Mär. 20, 14:54
    Kommentar

I've never heard it. So who does use "shop" in this way?

#2VerfasserHecuba - UK (250280) 30 Mär. 20, 15:12
    Kommentar

#2: Well that's an interesting predicament! ;-) Perhaps "and NBESs" should be added to #1.

#3Verfasserhbberlin (420040)  30 Mär. 20, 17:24
    Kontext/ Beispiele

14. As the Shop it is Melbourne undergraduates' s[lang]. for the University: since ca. 1910.

https://books.google.de/books?id=IAjyQdFwh4UC...

Eric Partridge, A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English

Kommentar

Einen leisen Zweifel trug ich auch mit mir herum...

Partridge vezeichnet einen solchen Gebrauch (in Großschreibung mit Artikel!: the Shop) als "Melbourne undergraduates' slang".

#4Verfasserlingua franca (48253)  30 Mär. 20, 17:29
    Kommentar

Laut Oxford ist die Bedeutung viel allgemeiner, und Schule und Uni sind nur zwei exemplarische Fälle:

2.2 the shop informal The place where one works.

‘she pointed to the classroom ceiling—‘I live here, over the shop.’’

https://www.lexico.com/definition/shop

#5VerfasserRominara (1294573) 30 Mär. 20, 18:56
    Kontext/ Beispiele

Geschäft, das

2a) ...(landschaftlich) morgen gehe ich nicht ins Geschäft (zum Arbeiten in die Firma, ins Büro)

https://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Geschaeft

Kommentar

re #5: Das ist für mich eine andere Bedeutung. Eine solche Verwendung gibt es (landschaftl.) ja auch im Dt. für 'Geschäft'.

#6Verfasserlingua franca (48253) 30 Mär. 20, 19:20
    Kommentar

Sehe ich ähnlich; das ist eine ganz allgemeine Bedeutung, z.B. auch in 'talk shop'. Das hat aber mit dem LEO-Eintrag nichts zu tun.

Vielleicht ist es die spezifische Bezeichnung der Uni Melbourne (so wie 'tube' die U-Bahn in London ist, aber kein alternativer Ausdruck für U-Bahnen allgemein)?

#7VerfasserGibson (418762) 30 Mär. 20, 22:36
    Kommentar

Bisher spricht nichts für das Behalten des Eintrags, oder?

#8VerfasserMattes (236368) 31 Mär. 20, 11:19
    Kontext/ Beispiele

(a) Australian slang. The University of Melbourne. Now historical.

Cf. earlier use with reference to other colleges or universities in quots. 1833   and 1847 at sense A. 6a.

1876   Daily Tel. (Melbourne) 24 Apr.  These medicos are jolly fellows in their way, but it is notorious that they are the hardest drinkers, the greatest smokers, and the rowdiest men in the shop.

1889   Centennial Mag. 2 iii. 218  It related how ‘a medical student came up to the Shop’ as a freshman, and ‘thought through exams. he would speedily pop’.

1918   G. Wall Lett. of Airman 15  I would be quite glad to get the Shop exam results.

1964   G. Johnston My Brother Jack 260  The years at the Shop gave me nothing except a worthless B.A. and the privilege of being thrown into the University lake.

2006   J. Thompson Patrician & Bloke v. 128  At ‘the Shop’, as the university [of Melbourne] was known, he was a member of the Students' Union Board of Management.

(b) Army slang. The Royal Military Academy, Woolwich. Now historical.

[RMA Woolwich was commonly known as ‘The Shop’ because its first building was a converted workshop of the Woolwich Arsenal.]

1887   Illustr. Naval & Mil. Mag. 1 Feb. 104/1  A military educational establishment situated at the top of Woolwich Common, familiarly known as ‘The Shop’.

1899   R. Kipling Stalky & Co. 199  They're goin' up for Sandhurst, or the Shop, in less than a year.

1978   G. M. Fraser Flashman at Charge 110  We treated each other decently, and weren't one jot more incompetent than this Sandhurst-and-Shop crowd.

2002   Times (Nexis) 23 Jan.  Lanyon was almost certainly the last senior under-officer at the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich, when ‘The Shop’ closed on the outbreak of war.

Kommentar

Entry is meaningless to me, too (BE). Looks like it is specific to the University of Melbourne, see OED above.

#9Verfasserpapousek (343122)  31 Mär. 20, 11:38
    Kommentar

#9 The Cf. earlier use with reference to other colleges or universities in quots. 1833   and 1847 at sense A. 6a.

these are the quotes linked to in #9

1833   Launceston Advertiser 5 Dec. 3  The people, greatly to their credit, have set up two noble shops [sc. the Sydney College].

1847   W. M. Thackeray Vanity Fair (1848) xxxiv. 303  Senior Wrangler, indeed; that's at the other shop [sc. Cambridge University].

#10Verfasserpapousek (343122) 31 Mär. 20, 11:41
    Kommentar

Es gibt auch noch einen Eintrag mit einem umgangssprachlichen Wort für Schule:

shop [ugs.]die Penne Pl.: die Pennen

Gibt es dafür Belege?

#11VerfasserMattes (236368) 31 Mär. 20, 17:00
    Kontext/ Beispiele

d. North American. 

(a) A school classroom or laboratory equipped for teaching skills used in a workshop (e.g. carpentry, printing, etc.). In full school shop.

(b) A school subject teaching the use of tools and machinery; = shop class n. at Compounds 3.

Kommentar

these were the closest entries I could find in the OED, Mattes. I would vote for that to be deleted, too.

#12Verfasserpapousek (343122) 31 Mär. 20, 17:34
    Kommentar

re #11, sollte da nicht auch die deutschsprachige Seite zumindest ein [ugs.] erhalten ?

#13Verfasserno me bré (700807) 31 Mär. 20, 17:56

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Tastatur

• Sonderzeichen

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt