stray customer - Gelegenheitskunde, Gelegenheitskundin

Falscher Eintrag

stray customer - Gelegenheitskunde, Gelegenheitskundin

Korrekturen

casual customer

-

Gelegenheitskunde, Gelegenheitskundin

Kommentar
    Google hits are relatively sparse for both, but with "stray customers" one hits on several websites/articles concerned with bringing back stray customers to the fold (how dows one call them in German? Verlorene Kunden?).

Native Speakers: Which one is more widely used for customers who just happen to amble by and buy something on a whim?
    VerfasserCJ de30 Sep. 03, 13:37
    Korrekturen

stray customer

-

Zufallskunde, -kundin

Kommentar
    Im Gegensatz zum Gelegenheitskunden, der 'gelegentlich' kauft, kommt der 'Zufallskunde' nur zufällig vorbei (kauft sonst woanders ein, z.B.)
    #1Verfassermanu30 Sep. 03, 14:35
    Kommentar
    @CJ:
    IANA business or marketing insider, so I can't vouch for industry jargon. But purely from the POV of the average person, I totally agree that "stray" is _not_ the right word, for exactly the reason you cited: It gives the impression that the customer has slipped his/her leash. (-;

No single one-on-one match occurs to me. But for the Kunde/-in part, you might also consider shopper or buyer. To me, the word customer itself connotes somewhat _less_ casualness. Along a spectrum of intentionality, customer might be more toward client or patron, someone who gives a name, makes a reservation, etc.; whereas a shopper just walks in off the street. (Restaurants being one exception; there you'd have to go with diner or something.)

For Gelegenheits-, casual seems reasonable, or perhaps occasional. For a more spur-of-the-moment decision, perhaps more toward your original "whim" and Manu's Zufalls-, what about walk-in, or impulse?

Casual shopper, impulse buyer, walk-in customer... Maybe a web search on various combinations of those will turn up something that fits your context.

#2Verfasserhm -- us01 Okt. 03, 06:21
    Vorschläge

infrequent customer

-

Gelegenheitskunde

stray customer

-

verirrter Kunde

Kommentar
    According to handelswissen.de: Gelegenheitskunde

"ist, im Gegensatz zum Stammkunden, ein Kunde, der nur selten, also gelegentlich, in einem Geschäft einkauft; noch seltener kauft ein Laufkunde (beispielsweise ein Tourist). "

To fit this description I prefer "occasional customer", or perhaps "infrequent customer". Perhaps "casual customer" is a "Laufkunde", according to the above, even just buying once. But I don't think there's one fixed word or phrase that we always use in BE.

The first thing I thought of when I read "stray customer" was one who had got a bit lost wandering through a department store, and just happened to walk into a section where there was something he liked. I agree that it doesn't sound right for "Gelegenheitskunde". It's odd, as it appears like that all over the place, in various online dictionaries.

Can a Gelegenheitskunde be an "impulse buyer", too? Leo translates that as "spontaner Käufer". "Gelegenheitskauf" is a bargain, right?

#3VerfasserArchfarchnad -gb-01 Okt. 03, 08:38
    Vorschläge

casual customers

-

Laufkundschaft

casual customer

-

Laufkunde

Kommentar
    #4VerfasserAlexander Dreyer01 Okt. 03, 09:14
    Kommentar
    Von meinen im Einzelhandel beschäftigten Bekannten höre ich nur die Begriffe Stammkundschaft und Laufkundschaft. Stammkunden kommen regelmässig, alle anderen sind Laufkundschaft. Gelegenheitskunden und Zufallskunden sind mir zwar denkbar, als Begrife bisher aber nicht bekannt.
    #5VerfasserPolo (de.ch)01 Okt. 03, 17:03

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Tastatur

• Sonderzeichen

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt