It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

  • Forum home

    Wrong entry in LEO?

    to springe - in einer Schlinge fangen

    Wrong entry

    to springe - in einer Schlinge fangen

    AFAIK, there is no such English word as springe (with an e).

    Even if we assume that the e is an error, the word spring has no sense in which it means to catch/capture/snare, etc.

    ("to snare" is already in LEO, as "MIT einer Schlinge fangen).

    I think the entry "to springe" should simply be deleted.
    AuthorBob (GB)15 Apr 04, 14:48
    Sieht m-w-com aber anders:

    Main Entry: springe
    Pronunciation: 'sprinj
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English sprenge, springe; akin to Old English
    springan to spring
    1 : a noose fastened to an elastic body to catch small game
    2 : SNARE, TRAP

    #1Authorad15 Apr 04, 15:35
    BTW: In German there is a little diference between "mit" or "in" einer Schlinge fangen.
    #2Authorad15 Apr 04, 15:36
    springe: a noose or snare for catching small game (Concise Oxford Dictionary)
    #3AuthorByrdy15 Apr 04, 15:56
    That's an awfully obscure word, I've never heard it before. I think the entry should have a comment to that effect after it, as most english speakers wouldn't have the faintest idea what you were talking about if you started using the word springe!

    How on earth did a word like that come to be in Leo anyway?
    #4Authorjen<gb>15 Apr 04, 16:54



    die Schlinge

    I stand (partly) corrected - should check my own COD before typing!

    So the situation is that the English word "springe" has a NOUN form, meaning noose, snare or trap, but the existing VERB entry "to springe" is not legitimate and should be replaced by a noun entry.

    Everyone agreed?
    #5AuthorBob (GB)15 Apr 04, 16:58
    Über den Gebrauch des Wortes kann ich nichts sagen, aber ich habe auch die Verbform in mehreren Wörterbüchern gefunden:

    springe, v.1
    [f. springe n.]
    1. trans. To catch in a springe or snare. Also refl. Freq. fig.
    2. intr. To set snares.

    –v.t. catch in a springe.
    –v.i. set a springe or springes.

    springe noun a sprung snare that is used for trapping small wild animals and birds. verb (springed, springeing) 1 to set this kind of snare. 2 to catch something using this kind of snare.
    ETYMOLOGY: 13c: related to spring.

    noun 1. a snare for catching small game.
    --verb (springed; springing)
    --verb (t) 2. to catch in a springe.
    --verb (i) 3. to set springes. [Middle English sprengen, akin to obsolete sprenge, verb, cause to spring, Old English sprengean]
    [The Macquarie Dictionary]

    #6AuthorDoris (LEO-Team)14 Jul 04, 16:15
    wobei mir gerade auffällt, daß "Schlinge" eigentlich überhaupt nicht dem Wort "springe" entspricht. Das ist doch eher eine Falle, die zuschnappt, oder?
    #7AuthorDoris (LEO-Team)14 Jul 04, 16:18
    n. A noose or snare for catching small game.

    Webster's Third:
    ¹springe - (n) 1: a noose fastened to an elastic body and drawn close with a sudden spring to catch a bird or other animal; 2: SNARE, TRAP <the herd mind was always laying ~s to catch the unwary -- V.L. Parrington>
    ²springe - (vt) to catch in a springe: ENSNARE; (vi) to set a springe

    Schlinge - loop [...] noose [...] sling [...] (= Falle) snare


    My guess is that those English speakers who know the noun know it from Shakespeare, which would be why it still appears in dictionaries, and should, including this one. I'd say it's relatively archaic, still used occasionally only for conscious (IMO pretentious) literary effect. Didn't know it was pronounced /sprinj/ either, learn something new every day, duh...

    Like all the native speakers so far, I'd never heard of the verb at all. I'd either mark it rare or leave it out, unless someone can find a modern use. My web search turned up only this quote:
    (poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning, 1864)

    Since 'springe' does mean 'noose/snare,' both of which involve a loop of rope (apparently held under tension and suddenly 'sprung' to pull tight), I'm not sure I understand what would be wrong about 'Schlinge.' What am I missing?
    #8Authorhm -- us15 Jul 04, 01:18
    @hm -- us: thanks for your reply. I don't think you're missing anything. I didn't check the definitions for the noun "springe" carefully enough and only read the Chambers entry, which says:
    a sprung snare
    which gave me the impression that it must be something different that just a Schlinge, but I figure even if it is a Schlinge, it can still work with a spring (but what do I know....I'm not a trapper....)

    Btw -- I'd like to contact you, could I ask you to send me a mail (
    #9AuthorDoris15 Jul 04, 07:07
  automatisch zu   umgewandelt