Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Falscher Eintrag

randy - geil, scharf

Kommentar
    This word is not used in American English, but I have heard it used by the Irish and the British.
    VerfasserBenjamin Rivera23 Jun. 04, 13:32
    Kommentar
    Suggest adding [Br.] to entry
    #1VerfasserGZ23 Jun. 04, 14:12
    Kommentar
    Hmmm ... sure? Checked the following dictionaries, and none of them states that 'randy' is British:

Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, 10th Edition
    Encarta® World English Dictionary, North American Edition
    Cambridge International Dictionary of English
    The Wordsmyth English Dictionary-Thesaurus
    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language

There's an alternative meaning (rude, ill-mannered) in Scottisch only, but that's not the one we're talking about here.
    #2VerfasserUho <de>23 Jun. 04, 14:31
    Kommentar
    Die Übersetzungs stimmt zwar prinzipiell, ich glaube aber, randy wird nur in der Originalbedeutung der beiden Begriffe verwendet.

Niemand wird "This is a randy show/film/whatever" im sinn von "This is a cool/fine/great show" verwenden, oder sehe ich das falsch?

Vielleicht sollte man das irgendwie anmerken.
    #3VerfasserCJ de23 Jun. 04, 14:36
    Kommentar
    Anmerken würde ich das nicht, dafür gibt's viiiiel zu viele andere Fälle, wo es überhaupt nicht eindeutig ist, welche Bedeutung gemeint ist. Aber das "geil" müsste dann ja eigentlich eh mit [vulg.] wie die anderen "geil"s bemerkt werden.
    #4VerfasserDavid23 Jun. 04, 18:27
    Kommentar
    The English word "randy" is used to describe people ... e.g., he was really randy that night.
    #5VerfasserNancy23 Jun. 04, 22:10
    Kommentar
    Nancy, AFAIR you are American, aren't you?
    I would be interested to hear whether you know 'randy' from the States or not.
    #6VerfasserUho <de>23 Jun. 04, 22:21
    Kommentar
    Unknown in the States, except for minimal crossover by those familiar with British films or humor, or having spent time there (my case). Has the same level of familiarity in AE as wanker or poofter, that is to say, none.

If it had, you wouldn't have 'Randy' as a first name in AE. Exact same situation for 'Fanny', by the way.
    #7VerfasserPeter <us>24 Jun. 04, 09:27
    Korrekturen

randy

-

horny

Kommentar
    So at Philips there was a brand name 'HORNYPHONE', in short HORNY,
    and the not English speakers had there problems with the above meaning.
    #8Verfasserav.joe24 Jun. 04, 09:34
    Kommentar
    @Peter:
    > If it had, you wouldn't have 'Randy' as a first name in AE. Exact same situation for 'Fanny', by the way.

This analogy strikes me as a little wobbly -- what about Dick? Or can that be classed in the same category?
    #9VerfasserDoris (LEO-Team)24 Jun. 04, 10:05
    Kommentar
    http://www.slangcity.com/b_b_name.htm

Das könnte interessant sein...es steht übrigens auch "Randy" drinnen! ;-)
    #10VerfasserCarmen24 Jun. 04, 12:15
    Kommentar
    Webster's 3rd:
    randy - 2: LUSTFUL; LECHEROUS

NOAD:
    randy - 1 (informal) sexually aroused or excited

I would have said the same as Nancy. It doesn't seem BE to me at all, and none of my dictionaries mark it as such. I prefer the Webster's definition above, though, more a general trait than a temporary condition.

I also don't buy the parallel with 'fanny,' not least because Fanny used to be a popular name in BE as well. Austen, Dickens, Hardy...
    #11Verfasserhm -- us25 Jun. 04, 01:47
    Kommentar
    Doris: good point, I hadn't thought of it. You're right: names *can* coincide with words with unfortunate meanings, and in most circumstances they get away with it.

But you're quite right, my conclusion about the first name 'Randy' being evidence that the 'geil' meaning of randy is unknown in AE is invalid. (I think the statement that it is unknown in AE is still true.)

hm--the parallel is valid now, not in Austen's time. Just try calling a girl that in the UK and see how long you survive...
    #12VerfasserPeter <us>25 Jun. 04, 05:13
    Kommentar
    i know this thread is ancient, but i just dug it up and couldn't help but think of that US show called "TJ Hooker". huh? as far as i know hooker is an american term and didn't just pop up within the last 20 years... I guess there'lll always be things that we won't be able to explain. and don't even get me started on kids' names.
    #13Verfasserinapina (464960) 10 Mai 16, 23:33
    Vorschläge

randy (people)

-

geil, scharf (sl.)

Kommentar
    agree with # 5.
    #14Verfasserjamqueen (1129860) 11 Mai 16, 10:31
    Kommentar
    Dazu ein aktuelles Beispiel:

In dem Roman, den ich gerade übersetze (geschrieben von einer britischen Autorin), verbringt eine Engländerin mit ihrer neunjährigen Tochter die Weihnachtsferien in New York bei ihrem Bruder. Der Lebensgefährte des Bruders hat einen Hund namens "Randy". Das findet meine engl. Hauptfigur ganz schrecklich und hält anfänglich lieber ihrer Tochter bei der Nennung des Namens die Ohren zu ...

Der Bruder (natürlich auch Engländer, lebt aber schon seit vielen Jahren in New York) findet das hingegen gar nicht schlimm und macht sich über ihr Entsetzen lustig.

Der Roman ist brandneu, also muss es - wenn ich der Autorin glauben darf - doch noch einen gewissen BE-AE-Verständnisunterschied bei "randy" geben.

(Dass ich entsprechend Schwierigkeiten habe, das in der deutschen Übersetzung irgendwie rüberzubringen, muss ich wohl nicht erwähnen ... )

#15VerfasserFragezeichen (240970) 11 Mai 16, 15:24
    Kommentar
    "randy" (in the sense of "horny") is also known in AE. FWIW, some years ago I had a girlfriend who was from New York and whose name was Randie (short for Miranda, I believe). She was very aware of the double entendre - and proud of it, referring to herself as "randy Randie" on several occasions. :-)

So, no, I don't think there's much of an AE-BE difference. And yes, I can see the problems "translating" that name. :-)
    #16Verfasserdude (253248) 11 Mai 16, 15:33
    Kommentar

I agree with @dude. By now, in 2019, randy –with almost the same meaning* as geil and scharf– has become quite wide-spread in the US and Canada, although it still has a British ring to it. I would say that horny remains typically American and randy remains typically British. In meaning and usage, randy and horny are completely synonymous.

*However, note that, unlike German geil, English horny and randy can only used in reference to humans –or animals– which are currently or are generally thought of as easily becoming, 'turned on', i.e. in a heightened state of sexual arousal.

So, both terms refer to a living creature's state of arousal, not to something seeming arousing to the observer. Therefore, neither horny nor randy can be said of situations, films, photographs, etc.

Furthermore, whereas by extension modern German geil can be said of activities, situations, photography, music or other things that are stimulating or exciting a non-sexual sense, horny or randy cannot used in this way.

As far as I can think, the closest sex-related English terms that can be used in this extended sense would be hot or sexy.

I concur with @dude that Randy –often as a nickname for Randolph– is a commonly-heard first name in the U.S. and so I think that people rarely immediately obsess on some idea of 'horny' when they hear it.

Those who go by the nickname Andy or Andie, do, however, inevitably get chided with the 'Randy-Andy' moniker, but affectionately so.

On the other hand, the introduction of a person with the family name 'Horny' or 'Horney' might elicit some hard-to-suppress titters and the inevitable asides. There was such a girl with whom I went to high school. And of course, horny is what teenagers are 24-7.

#17Verfassereclectus (1173200) 23 Jan. 19, 16:34
    Kommentar

Re #17: I would say that 'horny' remains typically American

I don't doubt that it's (still) widely used in the US. However, it seems to me that it has also become widely established in the UK in the last few years - at any rate among young people. Indeed, my impression in the UK is that "randy" is being supplanted by "horny".

#18VerfasserKinkyAfro (587241) 23 Jan. 19, 19:49
    Kommentar

#15 Fragezeichen, it sounds as if your "Hauptfigur" is not only ridiculously prim but also both ignorant and pretty stupid!

But that episode certainly highlights the BE/AE difference.

(I've no idea whether "randy" is giving way to "horny", #18.)

#19VerfasserHecuba - UK (250280) 23 Jan. 19, 20:54
    Kommentar

#19 Hecuba: Ach, so eng sehe ich das nicht. Dabei handelte es sich eben um die Hauptfigur in einem Belletristik-Roman, die sich aber im weiteren Geschehen gar nicht so prüde und auch nicht dumm benahm, aber ihre Tochter offensichtlich ein wenig überbehüten wollte. ;-)

Ich denke bei "randy" übrigens immer sofort an "Randy Andy", also den Spitznamen des Sohns der Queen, weshalb es für mich (als DMS) sehr britisch klingt.

#20VerfasserFragezeichen (240970) 23 Jan. 19, 21:10
    Kommentar

Good point about (prince) 'Randy Andy', #19...

Also, it feels to me as an A.E. speaker that randy is slightly softer-sounding than horny...

... I mean, horny is actually graphic when you think about it;-) ... despite the fact that it can equally refer to women.. uh.. ok.. I'll stop there.

#21Verfassereclectus (1173200) 23 Jan. 19, 23:05

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt