• Special characters

• Lautschrift

leo-ende
Advertisement
Wrong entry

You should have a bit more respect for his right hook. - Du solltest etwas mehr auf seinen rechten Haken achten.

4 replies   
Corrections

You should pay more attention to his right hook.

-

Du solltest etwas mehr auf seinen rechten Haken achten.

You should pay a bit more attention to his right hook.

-

Correction

You should keep your eye more on his right hook

-

Comment
This is a reference to boxing terminology and the proposed translation is much too proper, not to mention outright high-brow, for the boxing milieu, besides which "to have respect for" simply does not fit into this context! I find 95% of your entries correct and quite useful, so I just had to write in to comment on this glaring mistake in transation.

Regards,
Alix Sehr-Stewart
Freelance Translator/Interpreter, Vienna
Authoralix sehr-stewart14 Jul 04, 10:24
Comment
Der komplette Eintrag sollte einfach rausgeschmissen werden. Schliesslich ist der ganze Satz keine stehende Redewendeung / kein Idiom.
#1Authororeg14 Jul 04, 20:10
Comment
GENAU.Haut drauf und schluss damit!
#2AuthorBox-troll14 Jul 04, 20:20
Comment
Man kann ihn m.E. stehen lassen, aber nur unter der Kategorie "Beispiele" -- zwischen den normalen Wendungen ist das tatsächlich Quark.
#3AuthorUho <de>14 Jul 04, 22:53
Comment
Agree with Uho, but also with oreg that it's not a high priority to keep at all.

@alix: Interesting. I don't actually see anything wrong with the idea of having respect for an opponent's dangerous move in boxing; in fact, I would have assumed it originated from E>D rather than vice versa. And in fact, lo and behold, it seems to have come straight from Pons-Collins (beware annoying pop-ups & cookies):

http://www.wordreference.com/de/translation.a...
#4Authorhm -- us15 Jul 04, 01:35
i Only registered users are allowed to post in this forum

LEO uses cookies in order to facilitate the fastest possible website experience with the most functions. In some cases cookies from third parties are also used. For further information about this subject please refer to the information under  Leo’s Terms of use / Data protection (Cookies)