time [mus.] - Tempo

3 replies   
Corrections

tempo

-

Tempo

Comment
I'd use TEMPO too. (rather)

Thing is you would never say "the 2005 remix is 1.5 times the time of the original version, released in 1999" but "... 1.5 times the _tempo_ ... ".

(in German "laeuft in anderthalbfachem Tempo des Originals")

Please also refer to musical terms as "tempo".
(it's on you how to do this best :))

-cf
Authorcf28 Jun 05, 11:48
Comment
Allgemein steht tempo=das Tempo schon drin.
Main Entry: tem·po
Pronunciation: 'tem-(")pO
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural tem·pi /-(")pE/; or tempos
Etymology: Italian, literally, time, from Latin tempus
1 : the rate of speed of a musical piece or passage indicated by one of a series of directions (as largo, presto, or allegro) and often by an exact metronome marking
2 : rate of motion or activity : PACE

Der Eintrag MW Eintrag für time führt auf:
a : rate of speed : TEMPO b : the grouping of the beats of music : RHYTHM

Allerdings führt der Eintrag time [mus]=das Tempo dazu, daß es so wirkt, als sei es die einzig legitime übersetzung für die musikalsche Verwendung.

Die zusammengesetzten Einträge
to keep time die Zeit anzeigen
to keep time with rowing beim Rudern im Takt bleiben

scheinen mir etwas fragwürdig. Stimmt to keep time= die Zeit anzeigen überhaupt?
Wäre to keep time=im Takt bleiben ohne den Verweis aufs Rudern nicht viel sinnvoller? vgl MW keep 1 : to take notice of by appropriate conduct : FULFILL: as a : to be faithful to <keep a promise> b : to act fittingly in relation to <keep the Sabbath> c : to conform to in habits or conduct <keep late hours> d : to stay in accord with (a beat) <keep time>
#1AuthorCJ de28 Jun 05, 12:02
Corrections

time

[mus.] -

das Tempo

Suggestions

to keep time

[mus.] -

das Tempo halten

to keep in time

[mus.] -

den Takt halten

Comment
The existing entry is correct.

@CJ: >> Allerdings führt der Eintrag time [mus]=das Tempo dazu, daß es so wirkt, als sei es die einzig legitime übersetzung für die musikalsche Verwendung.<<
Quite often, "time" *is* the only correct translation, e.g., "to keep time". So this should not be a problem.

>>Stimmt to keep time= die Zeit anzeigen überhaupt?<<
Right: I think it should be "die Zeit nehmen." See LEO for "timekeeper," which BTW has a redundant plural entry.

>>Wäre to keep time=im Takt bleiben ohne den Verweis aufs Rudern nicht viel sinnvoller?<<
You're absolutely right to drop the rowing. However, I'm wondering about the following distinction:
"to keep time = das Tempo halten," means to *set* a reference, i.e., that's what a drummer or conductor or a click track does.
<->
"to keep in time = den Takt halten," means to acurately follow a *given* reference, i.e., that's what the other musicians do.
Casual use probably doesn't make this distinction but I think it would be precise and correct...
#2Authororeg28 Jun 05, 13:38
Suggestions

to keep time

-

den Takt vorgeben

Comment
Hm, bei bartleby findet sich
keep time 1. To indicate the correct time. 2. Music To maintain the tempo or rhythm.
Nr 1 würde meinen ersten Einwand aufheben.

PONS COLLINS unterscheidet auch to keep time (beat time) den Takt angeben/vorgeben und to keep in time = im Takt bleiben
#3AuthorCJ de28 Jun 05, 14:12
i Only registered users are allowed to post in this forum

LEO uses cookies in order to facilitate the fastest possible website experience with the most functions. In some cases cookies from third parties are also used. For further information about this subject please refer to the information under  Leo’s Terms of use / Data protection (Cookies)