•  
  • Falscher Eintrag

trade - das Handwerk

Kommentar
    I wonder whether "trade" is a correct translation for "Handwerk"?
    VerfasserPatrick27 Jul. 05, 09:08
    Kommentar
    @Patrick - it depends on what context you use it in.

Trade in the sense of the German 'Handel' is one possibility; but so is trade in the sense of Handwerk, as in the example:

"what trade did you learn?" " Plumber"

this is, imo, perfectly normal BE idiom
    #1Verfasserodondon irl27 Jul. 05, 09:14
    Kommentar
    @odondon girl: Your hint is very much appreciated. If I understand right, "trade" in your example would be synonymous to "profession". Isn't that another level in the thesaurus? (Sorry for trying to grab the depth of meaning). Thank's and cheers,
    #2VerfasserPatrick27 Jul. 05, 09:27
    Kommentar
    trade - Handwerk passt in odondons Beispiel perfekt (kleiner Hinweis am Rande, ob Boy oder Girl - der Mensch kommt aus Irland, daher "irl" (-: ). Für mich klingt es ein wenig altertümlich, deswgen passt "Handwerk" auch besser als "Beruf".
    #3VerfasserMattes27 Jul. 05, 09:54
    Kommentar
    @Patrick -

a profession is something practised by a professional, and in traditional language usage, there are only a limited number of 'professions' where one can use the term freely - lawyers, accountants, and the like.
    nowadays one's profession is not usually the term used to describe a practitioner of a traditional trade.

the term 'trade' for Handwerk is also a traditional term, now slowly dying since people talk of their 'jobs' or 'what I've been trained to do' or 'what I learned'

to be considered a tradesman one had to have completed an apprenticeship, and the trades in which apprenticeships were/are offered in BE are much more limited than those offered as Lehrstellen in German.
    bakers, butchers, carpenters, stonemasons, electricians, toolmakers and the like are all traditional 'trades' - Einzelhandelsfachverkäufer in Bäckereiwesen is not a trade in the British sense.

the words trade and profession are not synonymous even today.
    #4Verfasserodondon irl27 Jul. 05, 10:25
    Kommentar
    Klingt es im Englischen tatsächlich "altertümlich"? Leo führt auch "by trade"/"von Beruf" auf, ohne derartige Kennzeichnung.

(Ohne die Herren Simon & Garfunkel würde ich diesen Ausdruck möglicherweise gar nicht kennen (in the clearing stands a boxer, and a fighter by his trade))
    #5VerfasserMitch27 Jul. 05, 10:28
    Kommentar
    @Mitch - for my tastes 'trade' used today would sound a wee bit old-fashioned.
    #6Verfasserodondon irl27 Jul. 05, 10:33
    Korrekturen

trade (obs.)

-

Handwerk

Kommentar
    Summarizing...
    #7Verfassertra:duc27 Jul. 05, 14:20
    Kommentar
    @all: Thank's for the interesting comments. Much appreciated. Cheers,
    #8VerfasserPatrick28 Jul. 05, 08:28
    Kommentar
    I think the entry is fine and, incidentally, disagree that "trade" in the sense of "to learn a trade" sounds old-fashioned. There may however be regional differences involved here.

cf the discussion on the term "tradespeople" - related discussion
    #9Verfasserrob_oz28 Jul. 05, 08:51
    Kommentar
    @rob-oz - which is why I said I consider the term just a "wee" bit old-fashioned. in BE and in Ireland you will still hear the term in normal idiom, but its use is dying out.

I've never heard tradesman used, btw, for the retail trade, only ever for the traditional 'Handwerker'
    #10Verfasserodondon irl28 Jul. 05, 08:57
    Kommentar
    @ odondon irl - yes, sorry, you're quite right. I think it was the subsequent suggestion of flagging "trade" used in this sense as [obs.] that threw me off. But I do also agree that, while still used, it does perhaps sound ever so slightly outmoded.

Interesting BTW to hear the Irish take on "tradespeople" - I note that the entry with which that related discussion was concerned has since been fixed up.
    #11Verfasserrob_oz28 Jul. 05, 09:28

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Tastatur

• Sonderzeichen

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt