• Special characters

• Lautschrift

leo-ende
Advertisement
Wrong entry

Please see that the quality is equal. - Bitte stellen Sie sicher, dass die Qualität stimmt.

11 replies   
Correction

remove

-

remove

Examples/ definitions with source references
Collins Dictionary of the English Language:

Main entry: equal, adj.
1. (often foll. by to or with) identical in size, quantity, degree, intensity, etc.; the same (as).
2. having identical privileges, rights, status, etc.: all men are equal before the law
3. having uniform effect or application: equal opportunities
4. evenly balanced or proportioned: the game was equal between the teams
5. (usually foll. by to) having the necessary or adequate strength, ability, means, etc. (for): to be equal to one's work.
6. another word for equivalent (sense 3a.)
7. Archaic tranquil; placid

Google
I searched for the phrase "see that the quality is equal" on Google and found a number of hits for dubious German-English glossaries, but nothing else. For the sake of thoroughness, I also searched for "see to it that the quality is equal" and "make sure that the quality is equal" - nothing. There is one relevant hit for "see that the quality is right" (http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/html_sessions/... ), which would be an acceptable (though not the best) way to express the idea.
Comment
Sources
Examples/ definitions with source references
Comment
I was looking for a snappy translation of "Die Qualität stimmt" and found this questionable entry. As far as I'm aware, the German expression means something like "the quality is right" (similar to "der Preis stimmt" - "the price is right"). I think the whole entry should be removed.

1. The word "equal" is completely wrong here - see dictionary entry above. Equal to what? If you want to say that the quality is uniform/consistent, then either of those two words would be better than "equal" - but in any case, that is not what the German sentence means.

2. "See that" is a sloppy way of saying "make sure that" - the correct expression is "see to it that". Though of course I am aware that people do use "see that" in this way, so maybe I am being to pernickety on that one.

3. What is the sentence doing in a dictionary anyway? Is it really necessary? And if it is left in, shouldn't it be categorised as an example (with a different English translation, of course) rather than an actual dictionary entry?
Authordulcinea (238640) 10 Nov 06, 11:52
Suggestions

Comment
supported.
I, too, find the English way off the mark, and can't imagine it being correct in any sense imaginable. (sort of like: "equal goes it loose" if you ask me)
#1Authorodondon irl10 Nov 06, 11:54
Suggestions

Comment
Wie kommt denn ein so krummer Satz in LEO???
#2AuthorBirgila/DE11 Nov 06, 09:25
Suggestions

Comment
Sollte es vielleicht heißen:

Please see/make sure that the quality is/remains the same. -
Bitte stellen Sie sicher, dass die Qualität gleich bleibt.

#3AuthorTathergang11 Nov 06, 21:56
Comment
Just wanted to nudge this one up, as the entry is still in LEO. Perhaps a couple more people could support the deletion? Surely there isn't anyone out there who thinks that this sentence is correct...
#4Authordulcinea (238640) 02 Jan 07, 21:51
Comment
Wie auch immer der Hintergrund - diese Übersetzung ist falsch!
#5Authorkrazy_mom (D) (238333) 04 Jan 07, 11:39
Comment
Supported. A particularly unfortunate example of the "6-gear menu, become a beefsteak" class of translation.
#6Authorchristina04 Jan 07, 13:47
Comment
Supported!
#7AuthorCarly-AE (237428) 04 Jan 07, 19:00
Comment
Unterstützt.
#8AuthorUlrich05 (236177) 04 Jan 07, 19:56
Comment
Supported.
#9AuthorJochen Allig (275051) 04 Jan 07, 20:29
Comment
supported.
#10Authorkarlauer (277204) 04 Jan 07, 22:38
Comment
Yes, please delete!
#11Authoronelabel05 Jan 07, 12:27
i Only registered users are allowed to post in this forum

LEO uses cookies in order to facilitate the fastest possible website experience with the most functions. In some cases cookies from third parties are also used. For further information about this subject please refer to the information under  Leo’s Terms of use / Data protection (Cookies)