Correct?

sich rächen

Examples/ definitions with source references
when she rubbed somedone up the wrong way she did it in spades
Comment
gg. d. Strich bürsten?
Authorgyps30 Jul 07, 13:44
Comment
Ich kenne nur "to rub someone the wrong way" - heißt jemanden zu nerven.

Wenn sie jemanden genervt hat, hat sie es gänzlich getan.
#1AuthorTodd (275243) 30 Jul 07, 13:48
Comment
Ich kenne es hingegen nur als "to rub someone up the wrong way", ansonsten bin ich mit Todd einig.
#2AuthorSteve (BE) (337761) 30 Jul 07, 13:57
Comment
kann das ein AE/BE Unterschied sein?
#3AuthorTodd (275243) 30 Jul 07, 15:29
Comment
If you stroke a cat against the direction of the fur, the cat gets annoyed straight away. "To rub someone up the wrong way" comes from this idea and means to annoy someone. As far as I know, there is no difference between AE/BE usage
#4Authoralice30 Jul 07, 15:51
Comment
To confuse things very slightly, I also know the saying only without "up" - to rub s.o. the wrong way. According to this link there is no AE/BE difference:
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/rub+(some...
#5AuthorFury (BE) (236275) 30 Jul 07, 16:12
Comment
I'm with Todd and Fury on this one: only ever heard "rub someone the wrong way".
#6Authorbike_helmut (CAN)30 Jul 07, 17:01
Suggestions

to rub s.o. the wrong way

-

jmd. reizen, jmd. nerven, jmd. irritieren, sich nicht ausstehen können

Context/ examples
Merriam-Webster Online has an entry for "(to) rub up":
1 : to revive or refresh knowledge of : recall
2 : to improve the keenness of (a mental faculty)

while under "rub" as a transitive verb we find:

:2: annoy, irritate
— rub elbows or rub shoulders: to associate closely : mingle
— rub one's nose in: to bring forcefully or repeatedly to one's attention
— RUB THE WRONG WAY: to arouse the antagonism or displeasure of : irritate
Comment
What Todd, Fury and bike_helmut said. I've never before heard/read the version with "up", only without it.
#7AuthorChristina22 Oct 07, 04:43
Comment
I take it you're going from English to German.

How the hell did you come to choose 'sich rächen', which means "avenge oneself"? This is a big error. Apparently, your mother tongue is a third language, neither Deutsch nor English.
#8Authorhurmata (364229) 22 Oct 07, 04:55
Comment
Hat es in dem Song die gleiche Bedeutung?
ca. nach 2/3 (Lily Allen part)
#9AuthorNickelias (668288) 10 Oct 17, 19:13
Comment
Am besten stellst du den Songtext hier ein statt eines Links zum Lied - oder wenigstens die genaue Zeitangabe. "nach ca. 2/3" ist mir zumindest zu vage.

Aber es gibt eigentlich nur diese Bedeutung. Warum glaubst du, dass es nicht passt?
#10AuthorGibson (418762) 10 Oct 17, 19:55
Comment
Link zum Songtext ... hier nur die entsprechende Textstelle :

... (I love you, I think it must be love, I love you)
Why do you rub me up the wrong way?
Why do you say the things that you say?
Sometimes I wonder how we ever came to be
But without you I'm incomplete ...
#11Authorno me bré (700807) 10 Oct 17, 21:34
Comment
Dann, wie schon vermutet:

Hat es in dem Song die gleiche Bedeutung? - Ja.
#12AuthorGibson (418762) 10 Oct 17, 22:38
Comment
RE lyrics in #11
For AE, search hits agree with me by five or six to one that it's better with "rub me the wrong way" for the figurative use, absent strong need for poetic license. Otherwise, I stop to think about what sort of physical rubbing might be involved.
#13AuthorJurist (US) (804041) 10 Oct 17, 22:41
Comment
I only know it with 'up'.

Oxforddictionaries online gives only 'rub someone the wrong way' -- but then has 'up' in 4 of its 11 examples. They are so sloppy, they don't even notice when they're being inconsistent.

My New Oxford Dictionary of English (1998) has rub someone (or Brit. rub someone up) the wrong way
#14AuthorHecuba - UK (250280) 11 Oct 17, 00:25
Context/ examples
https://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/lesson... 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ru... (Merriam-Webster indicates that this phrase, including UP, is BE informal)

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/rub-someone-... (without UP and no distinction between AE/BE

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/... (Oxford lists both but notes that phrase with UP is British expression) as Hecuba #14 explained in that post.
Comment
der erste Link ist keine offizielle Quelle....

auch, "...when she rubbed somedone up the wrong way she did it in spades..."

FWIW, "do something in spades" bedeutet "etwas in höchstem Maße tun."
#15AuthorMein Fritz (862420) 11 Oct 17, 04:08
Comment
"in höchstem Maße tun" mag vong 1 Bedeutung (sic!) her richtig sein, ist aber m.E. viel zu gehoben für diese doch eher flapsige Ausdrucksweise.

Ein "ungeheuer" reicht doch voll aus. Oder noch [ugs.] "ohne Ende".
#16AuthorB.L.Z. Bubb (601295) 11 Oct 17, 09:47
Comment
#15 Oxford lists both [i.e with and without 'up']

That's odd. It seems that oxforddictionaries does list both if you look up 'rub someone the wrong way', but not if you get to it, as I did (#14), via 'rub':

Phrases
rub someone the wrong way
Irritate or repel someone (as by stroking a cat against the lie of its fur)
‘he had a cold manner that rubbed people the wrong way’

Not very helpful.
#17AuthorHecuba - UK (250280) 11 Oct 17, 10:55
Context/ examples
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/en...
rub sb up the wrong way uk 
us rub sb the wrong way​ to annoy someone without intending to:
Comment
as usual, the Cambridge makes a stronger distinction between AE and BE.

A possible translation - depending on context and register - ärgern, irritieren, auf die Nerven gehen etc.
#18Authorjamqueen (1129860) 11 Oct 17, 13:22
Comment
@ #17 Hecuba,

If one clicks on the Oxford link in #15, "rub someone the wrong way," underneath is a note to the effect that the British expression is "rub someone up the wrong way."

That's all that was meant by the comment. Again, you had found Oxford entries in a different manner and made comments about sample sentences using both expressions, ie with and without the word UP.

@#16, to do something "in spades" means to do something to the max, or to the extreme, abundantly, or extravagantly.

Vielleicht gibts eine bessere Übersetzung. Auch LEO sagt "in spades" <==> in höchstem Maße. Dictionary: in spades 

Man kann sich auch vorstellen, dass "ohne Ende" und "in höchstem Maße," je nach Kontext, ähnlich sind.
#19AuthorMein Fritz (862420) 11 Oct 17, 17:30
Comment
Ich hab doch auch nicht gesagt, dass "in höchstem Maße" falsch sei. Ich habe gesagt, dass mir das von der Sprachebene her nicht zusagt.

#20AuthorB.L.Z. Bubb (601295) 11 Oct 17, 17:39
Comment
#19 Dear Mein Fritz, I wasn't criticising anything you said. On the contrary, I was criticising oxforddictionaries, because when you looked for the expression via one route and I looked for it by a different route (but both on oxforddictionaries), we got different information.

That's why in #17 I quoted what I had found under 'rub' -- with no reference to 'up'. And that's why I said I considered oxforddictionaries 'not very helpful', because it is potentially misleading. I think that a supposedly respectable dictionary site should be more reliable and consistent.
#21AuthorHecuba - UK (250280) 11 Oct 17, 18:30
Comment
agree with # 21. Sometimes the Oxford is misleading..

in spades - über alle Maßen, übermäßig, nicht zu wenig (ugs.)
#22Authorjamqueen (1129860) 11 Oct 17, 23:55
Comment
Was in der deutschen Übersetzung nicht so rüberkommt, ist das Element von "without intending to".

Ich fände deshalb etwas wie "mit dem kann ich gar nicht" nicht schlecht ,auch wenn da natürlich die Betonung nicht auf dem Verhalten des anderen liegt. Oder vielleicht hat jemand eine bessere Idee?
#23AuthorGibson (418762) 12 Oct 17, 13:43
i Only registered users are allowed to post in this forum

LEO uses cookies in order to facilitate the fastest possible website experience with the most functions. In some cases cookies from third parties are also used. For further information about this subject please refer to the information under  Leo’s Terms of use / Data protection (Cookies)