Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Gegeben

Mir geht es gut Inform. Amer.

Richtig?

I'm good

Beispiele/ Definitionen mit Quellen
    Halloooooo...

ich hab mal eine simple dumme Frage ;)
    Auf Frage "How are you?" - Kann man da auch antworten "I'm good, how are you?" oder muss es zwingend "I'm fine" sein?? Ich meine schon öfter "I'm good" gehört zu haben - und das nicht im Sinne von "Ich bin der Oberchecker" ;)))

Danke schonmal!!!
    Kommentar
    Freue mich auf zahlreiche Antworten!!!!
    VerfasserDenise23 Okt. 07, 14:46
    Kommentar
    Grammatisch gesehen ist I'm good falsch, es müßte I'm well heißen.
    Was nicht ausschließt, daß Du es gehört hast.Und dann ist die Frage, was Du damit erreichen möchtest, eine Floskel abzuwandeln?
    #1VerfasserCJ unplugged23 Okt. 07, 14:49
    Kommentar
    I'm good wird meiner Meinung nach in den USA öfter gebraucht, in UK nicht so meiner Meinung nach, kann mich aber irren.
    #2VerfasserBrüller23 Okt. 07, 14:50
    Kommentar
    Bruller is right - in this context the reply in BE would be "I'm fine" , "I'm good" is AE
    #3VerfasserTOM23 Okt. 07, 15:05
    Kommentar
    I can confirm what TOM said.
    #4VerfasserHelmi (U.S.) (236620) 23 Okt. 07, 15:11
    Kommentar
    I still answer "I'm fine, thank you," but noticed that many of my American colleagues used either "I'm good" or "Doing good." Have lived in Germany for ages, so am not always up-to-date on which expressions have fallen by the wayside :-)

OT - Hi, Helmi! If you have any of the heat wave left over, could you please send it across the ocean :-)
    #5VerfasserCarly-AE (237428) 23 Okt. 07, 15:20
    Kommentar
    Hm, vielleicht kann ich ja meinen Irrtum hinter diesem Fund aus MW verstecken?

usage An old notion that it is wrong to say “I feel good” in reference to health still occasionally appears in print. The origins of this notion are obscure, but they seem to combine someone's idea that good should be reserved to describe virtue and uncertainty about whether an adverb or an adjective should follow feel. Today nearly everyone agrees that both good and well can be predicate adjectives after feel. Both are used to express good health, but good may connote good spirits in addition to good health.
    http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Di...
    #6VerfasserCJ de (236383) 23 Okt. 07, 15:34
    Kommentar
    OT> Hi Carly
    Yeah, this year we have fäntästic fall foliage with temperatures in the mid seventies. But I have the distinct feeling it will go downhill pretty soon.
    #7VerfasserHelmi (U.S.) (236620) 23 Okt. 07, 15:35
    Kommentar
    wieso sollte I'm good grammatikalisch nicht richtig sein??
    Egal in welcher Sprache to be, ser/estar, sein,esse benötigt kein Adverb sondern steht mit einem sogenannten Prädikatsnomen.
    Habe zwar schon well gelesen aber wenn es danach ginge dürfte man auch nicht he's good at sagen...

Es heißt ja auch:He's slow und nicht he is slowly....
    #8Verfasserleberkäs92 (358370) 23 Okt. 07, 15:36
    Kommentar
    OT - Helmi, only a scant 6°C here, and I'm freezing :-)

I do say, I don't feel too good, doing good, ect. and never considered that it was incorrect. Just haven't used it in reply to "How are you?" :-)
    #9VerfasserCarly-AE (237428) 23 Okt. 07, 15:41
    Vorschläge

-

-

-

Kommentar
    Danke euch allen!!!!!!!!!
    #10VerfasserDenise23 Okt. 07, 15:44
    Vorschläge

mir gehts gut

-

I'm good

Kommentar
    @ leberkäs92
    grammatikalisch gesehen ist das allerdings falsch. He's good at (..) ist nicht das selbe wie he's doing well at (..)

nur heisst das noch lange nicht, dass etwas falsch ist. auf die frage how are you kann man definitiv mit 'i'm good' antworten.

wo der ausdruck 'i'm good' allerdings richtig und auch im BE gebräuchlich ist, ist z.b. auf die frage, ob man noch etwas zucker in den kaffee (oder dazulande ins gefärbte wasser) haben möchte.
    #11VerfasserSage N. Fer Get23 Okt. 07, 15:45
    Kommentar
    depends on who's asking
    #12Verfasserkermies_mommie (380864) 23 Okt. 07, 15:59
    Kommentar
    @leberkäs92: It is not correct to answer "How are you" with "I'm good", as "I'm good" means "Ich bin gut", not "Mir geht es gut". Grammatically speaking, there's nothing wrong with "I am good" - it just doesn't make sense in this context.
    #13VerfasserTriangle23 Okt. 07, 16:14
    Kommentar
    @ Trianle.....I hate to disagree....I'm good is frequently being used as an answer to How are you....among friends and such....

AND..although being used...IT IS grammatically incorrect in my opinion! If it isn't, why would you say it's not correct to answer this way...?
    Denise's option "I'm good, how are you?" is common practice in the US although it would be correct to say I'm doing good/fine, how are you.

#14Verfasserkermies_mommie (380864) 23 Okt. 07, 16:26
    Kommentar
    @ Triangle: und mit der Logik heisst dann 'I'm fine' "Ich bin fein"? auch keine passende Antwort auf die Frage, wie es geht...
    #15Verfassernanu23 Okt. 07, 16:29
    Kommentar
    In Montreal war zu meiner Zeit "I'm good" die absolut korrekte Antwort vor allem auf besorgte Fragen ("Is something wrong with you?" "Nono, I'm good, thanks!")
    #16VerfasserBirgila/DE (172576) 23 Okt. 07, 17:04
    Kommentar
    Hat denn niemand den Beitrag in #6 gelesen? Da steht doch eindeutig, und aus zuverlaessiger Quelle (Merriam Webster), dass sowohl 'well' als auch 'good' korrekterweise benutzt werden koennen, um gesundheitliches Wohlbefinden auszudruecken. Die folgende Diskussion #8 - 16 ist damit doch komplett unnoetig, oder?
    #17Verfassergo_Habs_go (379735) 23 Okt. 07, 17:23
    Kommentar
    Habsilein, was in einem Lexikon steht und was Leute wirklich sagen, sind oft genug zwei ganz verschiedene Dinge. :-)
    #18VerfasserBirgila/DE (172576) 25 Okt. 07, 15:21
    Kommentar
    Tabarnac esti! I'm afraid you're right, Birgila - especially in Montreal ;-)
    #19Verfassergo_Habs_go (379735) 25 Okt. 07, 17:23
    Kommentar
    On a similar note, what drives me crazy is when people say "my bad" when they make a mistake. Whatever happened to simply saying "my mistake"? I have the feeling that "I'm good" is like the "my bad" phenomenon, one fool started it and the rest are using it now, too!
    #20Verfassermiamibremen (279037) 25 Okt. 07, 18:14
    Kommentar
    Notice that Webster's usage note is about "feeling good", not "being good". There's a difference.
    Sometimes I answer, I'm doing well, thanks.
    Personally, I don't like "I'm good" as an answer, either, although I agree it is often used. It sounds to me like: Ich bin ein guter Mensch. Or I feel like asking the person, You're good at what?
    My 2 cents.
    #21Verfasserwpr (236109) 25 Okt. 07, 18:22
    Kommentar
    Yes, I noticed this as well, wpr. At first, I thought it was irrelevant as the main statement "Today nearly everyone agrees that both good and well can be predicate adjectives after feel" would equally apply to "being good/well"... however, the more I think about it the more I tend to agree with you: the difference is that "to be" is not a sensory verb like "feel" and therefore requires an adverb ("well") and not a predicate adjective ("good")
    #22Verfassergo_Habs_go (379735) 25 Okt. 07, 18:45
    Kommentar
    My friend in the US once said: "No, thanks, I'm good" in the restaurant when the waitress asked him whether he wanted another coke...
    #23VerfasserMila25 Okt. 07, 19:09
    Kommentar
    As a native AE speaker who recently spent time in the US, I can confirm that "I'm good" is a very frequent answer to "How're you?"
    And its use as part of a polite rejection of an offer of food/drink, as Mila describes, is quite widespread.
    @miamibremen:
    "My bad" bugs me, too. Here's another one: When and how did "Is that OK with you?" become "Are you OK with that?" Sheesh!
    #24Verfasseremc25 Okt. 07, 19:34
    Vorschläge

Kommentar
    @Go Habs Go,

I am afraid I have to disagree with you. The point behind saying "I speak well" but "I smell good" is not simply an arbitrary one where sensory verbs go with adjectives, and all other verbs go with adverbs. It has to do with what word is modifying what.

Adverbs modify verbs or other adverbs. So they tell you how the verb is done. In the example "I speak well", the well refers to the act of speaking, which is done well.

If you are talking about sensory things, e.g. "I smell good", then "good" is obviously not modifying the act of smelling--you do not mean "I am a good smeller". You want instead a word to describe you the subject, how you smell. So you use an adjective, which in this case modifies the thing itself, not the action being done.

This is why it is correct to say "I am good", because YOU are the thing that is good, not your act of being. Translated into Tarzan, me=good, not am=good.

I am sure that there is probably a long history behind saying "I am well" to refer to one's health instead of state of mind or whatever. But my suspicion is also that a lot of people say "I am well" because they think it is grammatically wrong to say "I am good", when it isn't.

For some reason, English grammar is really hard to learn correctly while you acquire it, and this has led to a lot of people being really confused about correct grammar, and trying to change their speech for the better (admirable), but who are often poorly informed (not so good).

Things like "Her and I went to the store", "she gave a present to you and I", etc.
    #25VerfasserCourtney25 Okt. 07, 20:00
    Vorschläge

I'm good.

Amer. -

Nein, danke.

Kommentar
    Mila (Beitrag 23) wrote: "My friend in the US once said: "No, thanks, I'm good" in the restaurant when the waitress asked him whether he wanted another coke..."

"I'm good" in this instance is a current idiomatic expression in AE that is perfectly acceptable meaning "No, thank you." It's a (polite) rejection of an offer (of food, drink, etc.).
    #26VerfasserOutlaw01 Nov. 07, 17:51

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt