• Special characters

• Lautschrift

leo-ende
Advertisement
New entry

To err on the side of caution - etw. nur zögernd tun ???!

10 replies   
Sources
Comment
I'm very surprised this isn't in leo, I use it all the time!
AuthorJenny06 Mar 06, 21:07
Comment
Sorry that the entry is not in LEO. However, -- as I recently appear to be repeating quite frequently -- this is a forum where users can suggest new word pairs for the dictionary only if they are sure of both sides. If you are not sure that the translation for a word or phrase you are suggesting is correct and if you cannot provide at least one relevant source for each side (the one you quote unfortunately has nothing to do with your suggested phrase), then please go back to the drawing board. I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, it's just that I cannot possibly do all the research work for you.
#1AuthorDoris (LEO-Team)06 Mar 06, 21:27
Suggestions

to err on the side of caution

-

übervorsichtig sein

Examples/ definitions with source references
aus PONS: "Kompaktwörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch"

Comment
aus PONS: "Kompaktwörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch"
#2AuthorPaule01 Nov 06, 17:42
Suggestions

Sources
http://forum.leo.org/archiv/2006_01/02/200601...

(von google, funktioniert aber nicht, da altes Forum). Da gibt es doch irgendwas mit "ForumEntryByDate" oder so?
Comment
Das Thema ist nicht neu, aber die Forum-Suche liefert nichts dazu. Der Konsensus beim letzten mal war (aus der Erinnerung):
"Übervorsichtigkeit" trifft den Punkt nicht. Der Ausdruck bedeutet: man sieht ein, dass ein Fehler unvermeidlich sein kann. Nur, wenn man schon einen Fehler macht, dann soll er so geschehen, dass das kleinere Übel eintritt.
#3AuthorHarald S (236719) 01 Nov 06, 20:15
Suggestions

Comment
Der Faden "Erring on the conservative side"
related discussion: Erring on the conservative side

hilft sicher auch etwas weiter.

Die Methode, einen Thread mittels Datum zu finden, klappt hier leider nicht:

http://dict.leo.org/forum/selectThreadByDate.php?lp=ende&date=20060102222350
(wobei die Zahlen hinter "date=" z.B. aus einer Google-Suche mit Fundstelle im alten Forum stammen)
liefert 0 Fundstellen, auch wenn ich die Uhrzeit hinten abschneide. Der Faden ist wohl nicht mit umgezogen :-(
#4AuthorHarald S (236719) 01 Nov 06, 20:42
Suggestions

to err on the side of caution

-

im Zweifelsfall lieber zu vorsichtig sein

Examples/ definitions with source references
Pons-Collins:
it is better to err on the side of caution - man sollte im Zweifelsfall lieber zu vorsichtig sein

Oxford-Duden:
let's err on the right /or/ safe side and ... - um sicherzugehen, wollen wir

NOAD:
err on the right side - act so that the least harmful of possible mistakes or errors is likely to occur.
err on the side of - display more rather than less of (a specified quality) in one's actions: 'it is better to err on the side of caution.'
Comment

You can still read the 'false positives' thread (Harald's first dead link above) in the Google cache, but I agree that it seems to be missing from the archive, since a search for that name brings up a different thread.

[OT: And by the way, the search results page when there's only one hit still shows a false URL with all that garbage including &PHPSESSID=, which I thought was exactly what was causing Poppidirk and Ulrich05 so many amusing problems yesterday or whenever. You can get the real URL, the direct link to the thread, by using the arrows to go back one thread and then forward again, or vice versa, but it's tedious.]

Comment
I agree that 'err on the side of caution' should definitely be in LEO.

I also agree that 'übervorsichtig' is much better than 'nur zögernd,' which is just wrong, but I still think we should be able to come up with a couple of better options. I like Pons-Collins's idea of 'im Zweifelsfall' myself.

The English expression is IMO for all practical purposes synonymous with 'play it safe,' 'stay/err on the safe side,' etc.; it might help to compare some of those, which are probably already in LEO.

I don't suppose you could say something like 'eher mehr als weniger vorsichtig sein,' as the NOAD definition suggests? That way you could adapt it for other nouns, like, for example, err on the side of politeness - eher mehr als weniger höflich? But maybe 'im Zweifelsfall lieber zu höflich' would be better, actually, duh ...
#5Authorhm -- us (236141) 01 Nov 06, 22:25
Suggestions

Comment
that 'übervorsichtig' is much better than 'nur zögernd,' which is just wrong Dem stimme ich voellig zu.

Ich finde "uebervorsichtig sein" ein wenig fragwuerdig, da es anklingen laesst, dass man vorsichtiger ist als man eigentlich sein muesste. Diese negative Unterstellung fehlt mir bei "to err o.t.o.c.".

Wie waere es mit auf Nummer Sicher gehen oder einfach nur sichergehen? LEO bietet das Wortpaar auf Nummer Sicher gehen - to play it safe an und ich denke, dass playing it safe und erring on the site of caution eigentlich ziemlich synonym sind.
#6AuthorHein -de- (236231) 02 Nov 06, 00:45
Suggestions

err on the side of caution

-

auf Nummer sicher gehen

Comment
I like Hein's suggestion "auf Nummer sicher gehen", even if it may not fit every time.

Not so sure about "sichergehen". To me that is more like "sich einer Sache vergewissern" ("sichergehen, dass").
#7AuthorMikeE (236602) 02 Nov 06, 07:39
Suggestions

Comment
@Hein de: I disagree - the word "err" in the phrase expresses exactly the idea "dass man vorsichtiger ist als man eigentlich sein muesste." I think "Übervorsichtig" is probably closer than "auf Nummer sicher gehen", though either would do in a pinch.
#8Authorjoel (236290) 02 Nov 06, 09:59
Suggestions

Comment
IMHO, hat to err on the side of caution nicht dieselbe negavtive Konnotation wie übervorsichtig sein.
"Its better to err on the side of caution"
wäre als
"es ist besser übervorsichtig zu sein" nicht wirklich gut übersetzt.

"Es ist besser, sicherzugehen" trifft es viel besser.
#9AuthorCJ de (236383) 02 Nov 06, 11:20
Suggestions

Comment
- to err on the side of caution
- besser Vorsicht als Nachsicht

Ich denke dieses deutsche Idiom kommt dem Englischen am nächsten.
#10AuthorDominik23 Nov 06, 20:59
i Only registered users are allowed to post in this forum

LEO uses cookies in order to facilitate the fastest possible website experience with the most functions. In some cases cookies from third parties are also used. For further information about this subject please refer to the information under  Leo’s Terms of use / Data protection (Cookies)