Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

New entry for LEO

hate crime - rassistisches Verbrechen, Verbrechen gegen Angehoerige einer Randgruppe

New entry

hate crime - rassistisches Verbrechen, Verbrechen gegen Angehoerige einer Randgruppe

Sources
    Newspaper
    Authorberndjot13 Feb 04, 22:13
    Comment
    Is "hate crime" really restricted to the "rassistische" aspect? I am not so sure about it. See also the entry in the archive:   related discussion:hate crime
    #1AuthorNite Mite13 Feb 04, 22:26
    Comment
    Als "hate crime" werden Verbrechen bezeichnet, die als Motiv Hass gegen eine Bevoelkerungsgruppe haben. Dieser Hass hat zwar oft rassistische Hintergruende, aber Rassismus ist keine Voraussetzung fuer "hate crimes".
    #2AuthorAGB13 Feb 04, 22:31
    Suggestions

hate crime

-

Hass-motiviertes Verbrechen (?)

Comment
    For all it's worth, I agree with Nite Mite and AGB. While it is by no means uncommon that hate crimes involve racist sentiments, not all implicate race. On the other hand, it seems to me that berndjot's suggestion recognized this distinction at least somewhat by suggesting the German translations of "rassistisches Verbrechen" AND "Verbrechen gegen Angehoerige einer Randgruppe."

However, I am quite sure that victims of hate crime do not necessarily have to be members of a "Randgruppe." In the other discussion, cited by Nite Mite, Mark suggested that "hate crime" might be translated as "politisch motivierte Kriminalitaet," at least as a general category. That same discussion also quoted the FBI as describing "hate crime" as crime being "motivated in whole or in part by a bias against the victim's perceived race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability" (and that's the definition I am familiar with). At least technically, then, the victim may not be a member of a marginal group, but actually could be a member of a majority.
    #3AuthorOliver <de/us>13 Feb 04, 22:58

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt