Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Gegeben

teaching thesis

Richtig?

Habilitation

Beispiele/ Definitionen mit Quellen
    In my Doctoral thesis of 1934 and for my university teaching thesis (1944), both at the Technical College in Berlin, I investigated the properties of electron lenses with short focal lengths.
    http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/la...
    Kommentar
    Would I be right in thinking that this is the (sometimes apparently elusive) English term for the "Habilitation" that Germans have a habit of assuming exists worldwide?
    VerfasserTrilingual (405125) 28 Jan. 08, 14:30
    Kommentar
    Ja, damit ist wohl die Habilitation bzw. die Habilitatiosschrift gemeint. Ob das eine gebräuchliche oder verständliche Übersetztung ist, weiß ich nicht.
    #1VerfasserRE1 (236905) 28 Jan. 08, 14:41
    Vorschläge

Habilitation

Bildung geh. -

Ja

geh.

Kontext/ Beispiele
    The University of Freiburg uses the term, "postdoctoral lecture qualification", as is suggested by the LEO dictonary: http://portal.uni-freiburg.de/faw/facilities/...
    Kommentar
    I subscribe to your view. However, I'm not perfectly sure whether the term, "postdoctoral lecture qualification", as given by the LEO dictionary as a translation for the German expression, "Habilitation", is correct.

Here's a brief desciption for those not familiar with this matter:
    In the German-speaking countries, the word Habilitation describes a postdoctoral curriculum similar to, but far more extensive, than a PhD curriculum. The procedure must be completed at many, but not all, German, Austrian and Swiss universities to qualify for full professorship. It usually takes around eight years and comprises (1) several first authorships in peer-reviewed journals (at least six to eight, depending on the university's regulations, plus a similar number of co-authorships); (2) a thesis (which in some cases is presented cumulatively as volume of the applicant's publications within an identical area of research); (3) a colloquium (i.e., a scholarly presentation in front of the so-called Habilitation Committee); and (4) an inaugurative lecture that is open to the public, whereupon the applicant receives a document officially acknowledging successful Habilitation. In addition, a number of formal requirements have to be met. "Habilitated" individuals may apply for professorship vacancies.
    #2VerfasserRobert28 Okt. 08, 21:45
    Vorschläge

Habilitation

-

Post-Doctorate

Kommentar
    I don't know if this applies to the humanities as well, but certainly what you are refering is known as a "post-doc" (for short) in the sciences.
    #3VerfasserDirac21 Jul. 10, 23:38
    Kommentar
    Nope. A postdoctoral fellowship is something completely different.
    #4VerfasserWachtelkönig (396690) 22 Jul. 10, 02:01
    Kommentar
    Agree. For those unfamiliar, a Habilitation comes after the PhD and certifies the holder as capable of representing the breadth of his or her field of study and being able to lecture at a German university in that field. There's no equivalent in the US.

I agree with post-doctoral lecture qualification.
    #5VerfasserLonelobo (595126) 22 Jul. 10, 03:11
    Kommentar
    I strongly disagree with "post-doctoral lecture qualification" because it could well be understood in the way that someone did some teaching training, while in fact a habilitation is based on additional post-doctoral research results that go far beyond the standard that would be expected for a PhD thesis.

IMHO the only option is to call it "habilitation". In a CV I would always add the following wikipedia link in brackets: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habilitation
    Everything else would be misleading.
    #6VerfasserLondoner(GER)22 Jul. 10, 04:13
    Kommentar
    my experience at Berkeley is that "habilation" is generally understood as what it is. There is no apparent need to translate it for an academic audience. Clearly, for a more general audience an explanation might be helpful.
    #7VerfasserBaer22 Jul. 10, 08:06
    Kommentar
    Sorry for typo in the previous post. My screen is the size of a postage stamp...
    #8VerfasserBaer22 Jul. 10, 08:10
    Kommentar
    Wikipedia knows "habilitation", and so does the AHDE. I wouldn't worry about using it "as is".
    #9VerfasserCarullus (670120) 22 Jul. 10, 09:38

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt