semi (Brit.) [coll.] - die Doppelhaushälfte
semi - halb-
semi-trailer [abbr.: STLR] [autom.] - der Auflieger (Sattelanhänger)
semi-trailer - der Sattelanhänger (Eisenbahn)
semi-trailer - der Sattelauflieger (Eisenbahn)
road semi-trailer - der Sattelanhänger (Eisenbahn)
road semi-trailer [tech.] - der Sattelanhänger
road semi-trailer - der Sattelauflieger (Eisenbahn)
road semi-trailer [tech.] - der Sattelauflieger
eighteen-wheeler (also: 18-wheeler) [Amer.] [coll.] - der Sattelschlepper [i-link broken]
tractor-trailer [autom.] - der Lastzug, das Sattelkraftfahrzeug, der Sattelschlepper, der Sattelzug
tractor-trailer rig [autom.] - der Sattelzug related discussion: chains required for all semisrelated discussion: to drive a semi on a nickels's worth of gasrelated discussion: semi-trailer coupling - die Aufliegerkupplungrelated discussion: Sattelauflieger u. Lastwagen - semi truck and...
(there may be many others, but the forum search will only go back as far as March 2007 because there is no way to specify exactly 'semi' and no more, so you can't avoid pulling up things like Seminararbeit and semi-liquid and so on -- another item on my long-term wish list)
A semi-trailer truck
(colloquially known as a transfer truck, 18-wheeler, semi, Diesel, Mack truck
[although this is actually just one brand of truck maker], or big rig
in the U.S., and transport
in Canada; as a semi
in Australia or New Zealand; and as an articulated lorry (artic)
in the UK and Ireland) is an articulated truck or lorry consisting of a towing engine (tractor
in the U.S., prime mover
in Australia, and truck
in the UK, Canada and New Zealand), and a semi-trailer
(plus possible additional trailers) that carries the freight. In the UK, the term juggernaut
is sometimes used for articulated lorries.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-trailer_truck
• Even worse is heading between Saskatoon and Yorkton at 120, and being passed by a semi going 130. Absolutely terrifying.
• I was driving in a near white out in Utah, when I was passed by a semi going at least 70 MPH. I know he was a local driver
• It feels rock-solid on the highway, even when you're being passed by a semi.
• I'd sure hate to be paying for the fuel in both those tanks on one of those big semis.
• The 2002 models have daytime running lamps which offer good safety on the roads, especially on the interstates next to those big semis.
• The solar car had just descended a hill and was traveling at 45-50 mph when a huge semi came speeding by and passed the car.
• A huge semi-trailer truck like this one is crossing Wisconsin and Minnesota over the next two days
• A young man has quite the story to tell after his wheelchair got lodged in the grille of a semi truck, which pushed the chair and the man
• I was in a horrible motorcycle accident where I was run over by a semi truck (yes, you read it right…run over)
• The State Patrol says two vehicles, including a semi truck, slammed into a Buick LeSabre heading in the wrong direction on westbound 494
• A Darien man ran a red light on Route 47 before his semi-trailer slammed into a sedan and killed two people last month
• The semi-trailer slammed into the three-carriage Melbourne-bound passenger train at the crossing about six kilometres north of Kerang
• The accident happened just before 5pm when a 15-tonne HGV Business Post lorry with a semi-trailer skidded on some oil and overturned
• It looked like a semi-trailer skidded and crashed into the median