We could think of nothing to say.

-

Uns fiel nichts ein.

Beispiele/ Definitionen mit Quellen
delete
Kommentar
AHD:

think nothing of

To give little consideration to; regard as routine or usual: thought nothing of a 50-mile trip every day.

----------

think nothing of doing something
if you think nothing of doing something that other people find difficult, you do it very easily. He's so fit. He'd think nothing of running ten miles before breakfast.
See also: nothing, think

Cambridge International Dictionary of Idioms © Cambridge University Press 1998

think nothing of something/doing something
to do something unusual or dangerous without worrying about it. Howell thinks nothing of taking off to London or Paris to look for rare and wonderful antiques. Randy thought nothing of hanging from a steel beam 400 feet above ground during his career as an iron worker.
See also: nothing, think

Cambridge Dictionary of American Idioms © Cambridge University Press 2003

----------
Der "to think nothing of it"-Eintrag ist klar falsch, die Redewendung "We could think of nothing to say." existiert nicht (==> 245 google-hits, die meisten davon zweifelhafte Wörterbucheinträge).

Für "to think nothing of sth." fällt mir leider keine deutsche Entsprechung ein, "etwas mit links machen" trifft es nicht.
VerfasserThomasJ08 Mär 06, 19:44
Kommentar

Die Angabe "nichts davon halten" bezieht sich vermutlich auch auf "to think _little_ of something".

-----------------------------

~21000 Hits für "think of nothing to say" ;)

-----------------------------

"Think nothing of it!" kenne ich auch als "Nicht so schlimm. Kann passieren." oder auch "Keine Ursache, gern geschehen."
#1Verfassermeomy08 Mär 06, 20:52
Kommentar
Yes, I would say this is a "false friend".

Remember the old music-hall style joke:

"He thinks nothing of going for a ten-mile run before breakfast."

"I don't think much of it myself!"
#2VerfasserMike E.08 Mär 06, 22:33
Kommentar
to think nothing of sth. - sich nichts dabei denken, etwas macht jmd. nichts aus

etwas in der Art?
#3Verfasserschubine08 Mär 06, 23:53
Korrekturen

to think nothing of doing sth.

-

nichts dabei finden, etw. zu tun

Think nothing of it!

-

Keine Ursache!

Vorschläge

to think little of sth./so.

-

wenig von etw./jmdm. halten

not to think much of sth./so.

-

nicht viel von etw./jmdm. halten

Kommentar
Pons-Collins:
think of - ...
to think little /or/ not to think much of sb/sth - wenig /or/ nicht viel von jdm/etw halten
nothing - ...
he thinks nothing of doing that - er findet nichts dabei(, das zu tun);
think nothing of it - keine Ursache!
halten - ...
etw von jdm/etw halten - to think sth of sb/sth;
nicht viel von jdm/etw halten - not to think much of sb/sth;
nicht viel vom Beten/Sparen halten - not to be a great one for praying/saving (inf);
ich halte nichts davon, das zu tun - I'm not in favour of (doing) that

Oxford-Duden:
think of - ...
think little/nothing of sb./sth. - (consider contemptible) wenig/nichts von jmdm./etw. halten;
think little/nothing of doing sth. - (consider insignificant) wenig/nichts dabei finden, etw. zu tun; ...
not think much of sb./sth. - nicht viel von jmdm./etw. halten
halten - ...
viel/nichts/wenig von jmdm./etw. halten - think a lot/nothing/not think much of sb./sth.

NOAD:
nothing - ...
think nothing of it - do not apologize or feel bound to show gratitude (used as a polite response).
think - ...
• (think of) - have a particular opinion of: 'I think of him as a friend' | 'She did not think highly of modern art.' ...
think nothing (/or/ little) of - consider (an activity others regard as odd, wrong, or difficult) as straightforward or normal.

Random House unabridged:
nothing - ...
think nothing of - to treat casually; regard as insignificant: 'He thinks nothing of lying to conceal his incompetence.'

Webster's 3rd unabridged:
think - ...
(vi) ... 3: ... b: to have an opinion — usu. used with 'of' and an adverb or an adverbial phrase that indicates the kind of opinion <thought well of him ...> <thinks a great deal of his physician ...> <thinks nothing of his brother>

OED:
think - ... 11. a. (intr.) To have a (good, bad, or other) opinion with regard to a person or thing; to value or esteem something (highly or otherwise). Const. with adv. (much, little, well, ill, etc.), or adverbial accusative (in fig. phrases, as to think the world of, small beer of, etc. ...) ...
b. think nothing of - (a) to have a very low opinion of, set no value upon, esteem as worthless; (b) to make light of, make no difficulty or scruple about (cf. make nothing of ...); so to think no more of ... than;
think nothing of it - (imp.) phr. deprecating proffered thanks or apology.
[no examples of 11.b.(a), except possibly one from 1640]

I too agree that in the vast majority of cases the existing entry is a false friend. It does seems at least to have existed at some time in the past, since Webster's 3rd and the OED both mention it, though the former gives only one example, the latter only a definition with no examples. But unless someone can cite modern examples, I'd say Oxford-Duden is wrong to include it as if it were in common modern use, and LEO would be too.

And I definitely think all the more common senses of 'think nothing of' should be added, if they're not already in there.

The question remains, is there a more idiomatic way to translate D>E 'nichts von etw./jmdm. halten'? What do we think of Pons's 'not be in favor of' -- is it negative enough?

@Mike: *g*
#4Verfasserhm -- us09 Mär 06, 08:49
Kommentar
"a more idiomatic way to translate D>E 'nichts von etw./jmdm. halten'? What do we think of Pons's 'not be in favor of' -- is it negative enough"

etwas:
- not my/her/his cup of tea / idea of fun
- not think that something is a good idea

jemand:
very strong, very negative: think s/o is useless/worthless. Usually tempered by "nicht besonders viel", e.g. "von ihr halte ich nicht besonders viel", "I think she is pretty useless".

So vielleicht?
#5Verfassertanja109 Mär 06, 09:00
Kommentar
concerning the 'further suggestions', ThomasJ wrote:
"die Redewendung "We could think of nothing to say." existiert nicht (==> 245 google-hits, die meisten davon zweifelhafte Wörterbucheinträge). "

I agree that it is going a bit far to consider 'We could think of nothing to say' a Redewendung, and therefore the existence of the phrase as Redewendung is dubious.

but - there is nothing wrong with the phrase as is - it is perfectly correct, and, imo, normal English.

btw - if the google search had been "could think of nothing to say", the count of 16,800, with, imo, good and correct examples of English, might have made ThomasJ think twice before suggesting what he did. :o)
#6Verfasserodondon irl09 Mär 06, 09:14
Kommentar
odondon, you're right of course, there's nothing wrong with the phrase. I've evidently become too critical of LEO's Redewendungen since I've seen too many bad ones. Still, wouldn't "I couldn't think of anything to say" be a better match for the relatively colloquial German "Mir fiel nichts ein"?
#7VerfasserThomasJ09 Mär 06, 16:34
Vorschläge

to think nothing of sth./so.

-

von etwas/jmd. nichts halten

to think nothing of sth.

-

gegen etw. nichts haben

to think nothing of sth.

-

sich bei etw. nichts denken

to think nothing of sth.

-

etw. ganz normal finden

Kommentar
Die gegenwärtig einzige Übersetzung von "to think nothing of it" ("nichts davon halten") ist zwar nicht grundsätzlich falsch, aber doch meistens. Sie sollte dringend ergänzt werden. Dieser Thread ist dreieinhalb Jahre alt und beweist, dass die LEO-Redaktion leider etwas unterbesetzt zu sein scheint.

(Ich wiederhole in diesem Zusammenhang meinen Vorschlag, auf Forumsverweise, die mehr Suchwörter berücksichtigen als der beste Vorschlag aus dem Wörterbuch, gleich zu Beginn der Ergebnisliste hinzuweisen. Das würde das Problem der Nichtimplementierung von Forumsvorschlägen etwas lindern.)
#8VerfasserNikolas (253620) 31 Okt 09, 17:13
Vorschläge

to think nothing of sth.

-

sich bei etw. nichts denken

to think nothing of sth.

-

etw. ganz normal finden

Kommentar
>>I definitely think all the more common senses of 'think nothing of' should be added, if they're not already in there.

Unsurprisingly, I still agree with myself. I can't support Nikolas's first two suggestions, but the last two look okay.

Surely we've already provided enough background and comment; if something more is needed, maybe someone could say what.
#9Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 02 Nov 09, 21:02
Vorschläge

to think nothing of /doing sth./

-

nichts dabei finden /etw. zu tun/

to think nothing of it

-

nichts dabei finden

Think nothing of it!

-

Keine Ursache!

Kontext/ Beispiele
OALD:
* idiom think nothing 'of it (formal) used as a polite response when sb has said sorry to you or thanked you
* idiom think 'nothing of sth / of doing sth to consider an activity to be normal and not particularly unusual or difficult: She thinks nothing of walking thirty miles a day.

CALD:
think nothing of sth
to consider that an activity is easy and not unusual
When I was younger, I thought nothing of cycling 50 miles in a day.

Chambers:
* think nothing of something -- 1 to regard it as normal or straightforward.
* think nothing of it -- it doesn't matter; there is no need for thanks.
Kommentar
IMHO these are perfect matches.

Sich nichts bei etw. denken, in contrast, means to be oblivious to others' concerns in doing sth. and, therefore, doesn't fit here.

Edit: Strange, LEO dropped my references...
#10Verfasseroreg (353563) 20 Nov 09, 12:57
Vorschläge

to think nothing of /doing sth./

-

nichts dabei finden /etw. zu tun/

Kommentar
Noch immer ist der Leo-Eintrag missverständlich. Ich bin gerade auf der Suche nach "nichts von etwas halten" darauf gestoßen und war erstaunt, dass die teilweise ins Jahr 2006 zurück reichenden Vorschläge noch nicht aufgegriffen wurden. Daher sei dies hier als kleine Erinnerung gedacht... ;-)
#11Verfasserfwk (575551) 24 Jan 13, 00:04
Kommentar
Welcher LEO-Eintrag ist missverständlich? Die Korrekturen wurden übernommen.
#12VerfasserDoris (LEO-Team) (33) 24 Jan 13, 10:59
i Nur registrierte Benutzer können in diesem Forum posten

LEO benutzt Cookies, um das schnellste Webseiten-Erlebnis mit den meisten Funktionen zu ermöglichen. Es werden teilweise auch Cookies von Diensten Dritter gesetzt. Weiterführende Informationen erhalten Sie in den Hinweisen zu den Nutzungsbedingungen / Datenschutz (Cookies) von LEO.