-

überschreiben

to clobber

-

erledigen, fertigmachen

Comment
AuthorPB21 Apr 06, 05:18
Comment
Falsches Forum. Und für Neuvorschläge bräuchte man zuverlässigere Quellen als ein anderes Online-Wörterbuch.

clobber
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): clob·bered; clob·ber·ing /-b(&-)ri[ng]/
Etymology: origin unknown
1 : to pound mercilessly; also : to hit with force : SMASH
2 : to defeat overwhelmingly
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/clobber
#1Authorholger21 Apr 06, 05:39
Comment
We have had this discussion before, but Doris may have deleted the thread because of unpleasantness.

The basic meaning of "überschreiben" is well known in programmers' slang (Hackish) and is confirmed by the authoritative Jargon File (online version at
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/C/clobber.html ):
<<clobber: vt.
To overwrite, usually unintentionally: "I walked off the end of the array and clobbered the stack." Compare mung, scribble, trash, and smash the stack.>>

However "überschreiben" is a different register (Stilebene) and is not a perfect fit since it does not convey the sense of "erwischen", "kaputtmachen". OTOH it is better than "verprügeln" in a programming context.

#2AuthorMike E.22 Apr 06, 00:04
Corrections

clobber

[comp.] -

kaputtmachen

Comment
Perhaps "kaputtmachen" (comp. sl.) would be adequate.

"Überklatschen" might get the flavour better than "überschreiben".
Googling for "Systemdateien überklatscht" and "clobbered * system files" provides some confirmation.
#3AuthorMike E.22 Apr 06, 00:23
Suggestions

clobber (to death)

-

(zu Tode) prügeln

clobber

-

auf jemand eindreschen; verdreschen

Comment
For the literal meaning, the phrase "clobber to death" (= "zu Tode prügeln" )should, perhaps, also be included. I'm not sure what evidence would be accepted, but Googling for "clobbered to death" should confirm the meaning.

Perhaps "verdreschen" and "auf jemand eindreschen" should also be included.
The OED has the example <<'Poor loser!' they kept yelling as they clobbered me.>>
and the definition <<To hit; to thrash or 'beat up' . . .>>
#4AuthorMike E.22 Apr 06, 00:39
Comment
The Oxford Dictionary of English:
"clobber (2)
"verb [with obj.], informal, hit (someone) hard: if he does that I'll clobber him!
"- treat or deal with harshly: the recession clobbered other parts of the business.
"- defeat heavily: [with obj. and complement] the Braves clobbered tghe Cubs 23-10.
"ORIGIN Second World War (apparently air force slang): of unknown origin"

Collins gives the following translations for the physical aspect of clobbering: "to get clobbered, eins übergebraten kriegen (sl); to clobber sb one, jdm ein paar vor den Latz knallen (sl)."

And I agree with Mike that to clobber sb to death = jdn zu Tode prügeln, even if I have nothing to substantiate it. But it's not always possible to provide evidence of common phrases apart from one's experience of one's own language...

Now I like my Oxford Dictionary of English's third definition for clobber, not that it has anything to do with the above:

"verb [with obj.] add enamelled decoration to (porcelain)
"Origin late 19th cent.: of unknown origin"

#5AuthorJane (GB)29 Apr 06, 12:22
i Only registered users are allowed to post in this forum

LEO uses cookies in order to facilitate the fastest possible website experience with the most functions. In some cases cookies from third parties are also used. For further information about this subject please refer to the information under  Leo’s Terms of use / Data protection (Cookies)