Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

  • Falscher Eintrag

    squared paper - kariertes Papier


    graph paper


    kariertes Papier


      related discussion:kariert

    web hits (cont'd):
    quad paper - 63,600 (83 .uk)


    It's hard to prove a negative, but so far the consensus among native speakers, both AE and BE (well, one BE *g*), favors 'graph paper' as the first choice.

    'Squared paper' may not be exactly wrong, but it seems clearly misleading as the only translation of 'kariertes Papier.' I had never heard of it, but I'm wondering if it might be more BE and/or AusE, NZE, CanE, etc. It's listed in Pons-Collins and Oxford-Duden, but so far, no real person here has claimed it. If enough people vouch for it we can certainly keep it, but it may need a regional marking at the least.

    We should also rank the other options from the previous thread, but I suggest we continue the discussion here. Thanks in advance for any comments.

    'Quad paper' was offered as another alternative after I had made a preliminary list, but it doesn't seem very common, as an image search brings up comparatively few examples of this kind of paper. I would be interested to know how many English speakers had heard this term; I hadn't, but then I haven't used graph paper for decades, so it may just be me.
    Verfasserhm -- us21 Sep. 06, 05:18

    plaid (adj.)



    plaid - Plaid (nt);
    plaid skirt - karierter Rock

    plaid - 1: Plaid, das /od./ der. 2: (adj.) [bunt] kariert;
    plaid blanket - Plaid, das /od./ der.

    Siehe Wörterbuch: plaid


    Since New Entry is closed, I'm just taking this opportunity to mention a related word that seems to be missing. If we could get a vote or two for it now while it's on our minds, it would save time and effort later and fill a rather obvious gap. The adjective 'plaid' is considerably more common in English than the noun, so listing only nouns as translations is misleading.
    #1Verfasserhm -- us21 Sep. 06, 05:29
    I haven't used graph paper for 20 years, but it was definitely called "graph paper" at my school in southern England in the 1980s.

    "Squared paper" is usually found in notebooks, as an alternative to "lined" or "ruled" options (see the well-known Moleskine range, for example)

    "Graph paper" is coloured (pale blue, pale green) - "squared paper" isn't.

    Based on my personal GB experience - support (1/2)
    #2VerfasserLK21 Sep. 06, 07:23
    " "Squared paper" is usually found in notebooks, as an alternative to "lined" or "ruled" options (see the well-known Moleskine range, for example)

    "Graph paper" is coloured (pale blue, pale green) - "squared paper" isn't. "

    Dann würde für mich aber eher "squared paper" dem deutschen "karierten Papier" entsprechen, denn ich kenne unter "kariertem Papier" farbloses kariertes Papier im Gegensatz zu liniertem Papier, vor allem in Schulheften und Notizblöcken.
    #3VerfasserJalapeno21 Sep. 06, 07:52
    agree with LK (even down to the school in southern England 20 years ago!!) except my graph paper (I've just looked) is yellow. But also see the problem raised by Jalapeno as I cannot find any coloured kariertes Papier from German in my drawer - yes I got my graph paper in the UK
    #4VerfasserLis GB21 Sep. 06, 07:55
    stimme Jalapeno zu - ich hätte jetzt auch unter "graph paper" eher "Millimeterpapier" (Kästchen haben 1 mm Kantenlänge, mit einem etwas dickeren Strich alle 5 oder 10 mm) verstanden und das Schulheft bzw. den Notizblock als "squared paper" beschrieben.
    #5Verfasserpenguin21 Sep. 06, 08:06

    graph paper



    Wenn ich von farbigem karierten Papier lese, dann denke ich an Millimeterpapier. Das passt auch zu dem englischen Namen, da wir dieses gerne im Ingenieursstudium verwendeten um Graphen einer Messreihe aufzuzeichnen.
    #6VerfasserKarin H.21 Sep. 06, 08:09
    I also have a block of millimetre paper which does have the small 1mm squares and is also coloured, but my graph paper has approx. 5mm squares so maybe we should ignore the colour factor as a (BE?) oddity? (nobody around who works in the paper business?)
    #7VerfasserLis GB21 Sep. 06, 08:13
    I support both your points, hm--us, and am surprised the pairing "plaid=kariert" isn't yet in LEO. Also, I have heard of "quad paper" (from my illustrious college career in the late '90s) but would rather support the entry "graph paper" since "quad paper" is not widely known.
    #8Verfasserhermarphromoose21 Sep. 06, 10:09
    Perhaps it is worth noting that there is a cultural difference in the use of graph/squared paper.

    It is common to see a German take notes on a pad (Notizblock) of paper with vertical as well as horizontal lines, even when the notes contain nothing but text (no diagrams, graphs, etc.). I conclude that, for at least some Germans, general-purpose note-taking paper has both vertical and horizontal lines.

    On the other hand, Americans take notes on pads of horizontally-lined paper, called usually called "note pads". "Graph paper" (with horizontal and vertical lines) is only used when a graph or diagram is being drawn.

    Perhaps, then, the "cultural" equivalents are:

    Note pad (horizontal lines only) plays the same role (note-taking) as Notizblock (horizontal and vertical lines)

    Graph paper (horizontal and vertical) plays the same role (graph-making) as Millimeterpapier (horizontal and vertical).

    From the US perspective (not sure about the UK) the German Notizblock and Millimeterpapier are both what we would describe as "graph paper"--even though they are used in different ways.

    #9VerfasserGeorgeA (US)21 Sep. 06, 15:22
    Wow, thanks for all the comments. So apparently squared paper is one kind of graph paper in the UK, namely, with bigger squares and on white paper and often in pads; and that does seem to match kariertes Papier point for point. Okay, so far, so good.

    Back to the context of the original question, though: If someone just says 'I need to buy some ________ for geometry class to draw figures on,' would BE speakers only ever say squared paper, or could you (as was suggested in the other thread) also say graph paper as a more general term? If the latter, it still might be helpful to add 'graph paper' as another option in LEO.

    And is the term 'squared paper' used in the US at all, or can it be marked BE? My geometry-class days are somewhat more than 20 years back, so I could just be imagining this, but I *think* we had plain white paper with a fairly wide (probably 1/4 inch) grid, and we just called it graph paper. (And as GeorgeA says, AFAIK it didn't come in smaller notepad-size blocks, only 8 1/2 x 11" tablets or looseleaf.) I remember seeing the pale green kind of graph paper with a very thin grid in stores, but I never had to buy it because I didn't take things like drafting or engineering.

    Even though we called it graph paper in conversation, maybe 'quad paper' is actually the technical AE term that corresponds to 'squared paper' in BE? A little more evidence might help.

    Funny how stationery and office supplies just differ across the pond. Not only sizes like A4 and so on, but we've also had trouble in the past coming up with translations for things that are really common in one place and virtually unknown in another. Like manila envelopes, or some special sort of two-ring ringbinder whose exact name I forget. Maybe this is just one more for that category.
    #10Verfasserhm -- us21 Sep. 06, 19:13
    Definitiv nicht loeschen:

    Freund Google bring 50.000 Treffer fuer "squared paper" und wenn ich mir die ersten 20-30 anschauen, dann waere die korrekte Uebersetzung **stets** "kariertes Papier".


    Nichts dagegen, "graph paper"-"kariertes Papier" eventuell ebenfalls aufzunehmen (graph paper"-Millimeterpapier und drei andere Uebersetzungen sind bereits im LEO). alls aufzunehmen. Aber "squared paper" scheint durchaus im Gebrauch zu sein, also bitte nicht loeschen.

    Bzgl. BE/AE ... keine Ahnung. Google scheint anzudeuten, dass "graph paper" in den US gebraeuchlicher ist, aber....

    198 for "squared paper" site:edu
    164,000 for "graph paper" site:edu

    375 from ac.uk for "squared paper"
    2,820 from ac.uk for "graph paper"
    #11VerfasserHein -de-22 Sep. 06, 00:00
    My husband and colleagues (engineers) call it graph paper. (AE)

    8th Graders: Supply Lists 2006 (7th grade & 8th grade)
    Peninsula School District Gig Harbor, WA
    ¼” graph (quad) paper

    http://www.peninsula.wednet.edu/education/Act... lists/KPMSSupplyLists.htm#7th_Graders

    Hall and Stevens "A school Arithmetic", printed in 1919, has a chapter on graphing on "squared paper". Some more notes on graph paper can be found here."squared+paper"+gov.&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=64

    I don't know how reliable this information is. (link)

    The increased use of graphs and graph paper around the turn of the century is supported by a Preface to the "New Edition" of Algebra for Beginners by Hall and Knight. The book, which was reprinted yearly between the original edition and 1904 had no graphs appearing anywhere. When the "New Edition" appeared in 1906 it had an appendix on "Easy Graphs", and the cover had been changed to include the subhead, "Including Easy Graphs".
    The preface includes a strong statement that "the squared paper" should be of good quality and accurately ruled to inches and tenths of an inch.
    The term "graph paper" seems not to have caught on quickly. I have a Hall (the same H S Hall as before) and Stevens: A school Arithmetic, printed in 1919 that has a chapter on graphing on "squared paper".

    It may be that the term "squared paper" hung on much longer in England than in the US. I have a 1961 copy of Public School Arithmetic ("Thirty-sixth impression, First published in 1910) by Baker and Bourne published in London that still uses the term "squared paper" but uses graphs extensively.


    graph paper: Definition:
    squared paper: paper on which a series of usually equally or logarithmically spaced vertical and horizontal intersecting lines has been imprinted to facilitate the drawing of graphs and diagrams

    It must be more common in BE e.g.-- pin a large piece of 'squared paper' onto a board and draw in the house first.
    Let the lines of the "squared paper" act as a grid and use them to help you draw your patterns and shapes.
    © The Royal Horticultural Society 2006"squared+paper"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=39


    #12Verfasserme122 Sep. 06, 01:53

    7th Graders:
    ¼” graph (quad) paper
    Peninsula School District
    #13Verfasserme122 Sep. 06, 02:17

    squared paper

    Brit. -

    kariertes Papier


    graph paper


    kariertes Papier

    quad paper

    Amer. -

    kariertes Papier

    Thank you, me1, that's very helpful, and it does strongly suggest that 'squared paper' was formerly used in the US but is no longer.

    The above suggestions reflect the tentative consensus the discussion seems to be leading toward. So far, I believe, no AE speakers have recognized 'squared paper' at all, and no BE speakers have recognized 'quad paper' or have rejected 'graph paper' as the broader term of the two, the superset term that can be used for both. But it might still be good to get a few more comments on those points. I do notice that far more people seem moved to comment here in Wrong Entry than a day earlier when we were trying to get comments in the other thread. (-;

    And any AusE, CanE, NZE, IndE, SAfrE, etc. speakers who have an opinion on this one -- speak now or forever hold your peace. (-:

    #14Verfasserhm -- us22 Sep. 06, 06:26
    Here's a bit of IRLE input:

    squared paper = paper with squares, as differentiated to paper with lines(=lined paper) - this is never to be mixed up with

    graph paper = paper with 1mm squares, generally the print is a colour other than black, generally the printing is framed, i.e. it doesn't go to the edge of the paper, which has a border, and therefore is = Millimeterpapier

    quad paper - never heard this expression before, but it appears logical, and, imo, would indicate the most general means of describing squared/graph/technical drawing paper with squares
    #15Verfasserodondon irl22 Sep. 06, 09:53
    Agree 100% with odondon's IRLE perspective.
    #16VerfasserLK22 Sep. 06, 10:15

    graph paper - white paper with divisions. I seem to remember there were various scales, eg. 1mm or 2mm squares, thicker lines every half or full centimetre. The lines were either light blue or pink/red and didn't go all the way to the edge of the sheet.

    squared paper - I don't recall having heard this term, but would be able to deduce what was meant if it was used as a contrast to lined paper. In my old office we used to get company notepads where the paper was divided into squares, so I guess there must be a term for it.

    quad paper - never heard of it.
    #17Verfassersw03026 Sep. 06, 17:11

    quad paper


    kariertes Papier

    Beispiele/ Definitionen mit Quellen
    Mein Gefühl

    Als unbedarfter Uebersetzer würde ich aus Squared-, graph- und quad paper, quad paper wählen, weil ich bei kariertem Papier ein Blatt mit Quadraten sehe.
    #18VerfasserTütti12 Nov. 06, 12:51

    Auch wenn es jetzt vielleicht schon ein bisschen spaet ist: Ich bin jetzt seid 3 Monaten auf einer Canadischen High School und hier ist sowohl Millimeterpapier als auch normales kariertes Papier "graph paper". "Squared paper" sagt hier niemand. Obwohl es hier, wie schon erwaehnt sowieso kaum kariertes Papier zum darauf schreiben gibt. Hier wird ja sogar in Mathe auf liniertem Papier geschrieben. (gewoehnungsbeduerftig)
    #19VerfasserÄlex17 Nov. 06, 06:37
  automatisch zu   umgewandelt