Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Gegeben

whatever

Richtig?

was auch immer

Beispiele/ Definitionen mit Quellen
    whatever made you want to change your mind
    Kommentar
    der ganze satz (von bob dylan) lautet:
    "whatever made you want to change your mind?"
    heißt das nun eher:
    "was auch immer dich deine meinung ändern ließ?"
    (wozu dann das fragezeichen?)
    oder
    "was könnte dich nur deine meinung ändern lassen?"
    oder
    etwas ganz anderes?
    danke für die hilfe!
    Verfasserlidzbark15 Jul. 08, 13:33
    Kommentar
    das ist ungläubig verstärkend:
    Was um Himmels willen hat Dich dazu veranlaßt, Deine Meinung zu ändern?
    #1Verfasserpenguin (236245) 15 Jul. 08, 13:37
    Kommentar
    I am sorry, that doesn`t make sense.

Try this option:

Whatever you do, you do to change my mind.
    #2Verfasserprompter15 Jul. 08, 13:42
    Kommentar
    I agree with Penguin.
    What was it that made you change your mind?
    #3VerfasserExpat15 Jul. 08, 13:56
    Kommentar
    no, prompter, your proposal is grammaticaly correct, but relates to a different meaning.

...whatever made you want to change your mind... is really awkward but has some sense.

#4VerfasserMary Ann15 Jul. 08, 14:04
    Kommentar
    prompter = Mary Ann = Troll
    #5Verfasserpenguin (236245) 15 Jul. 08, 14:05
    Kommentar
    for me this means "whatever caused that you changed your mind"
    #6VerfasserMary Ann15 Jul. 08, 14:07
    Kommentar
    All right, Mary.

And what about the tenses used by you?

Don`t you mind for example:

"whatever caused that you have changed your mind"

Present Perfect seems somewhat more appropriate in this context, doesn`t it?
    #7Verfasserprompter15 Jul. 08, 14:20
    Kommentar
    I am not sure, prompter, yet the both actions can be considered as taking place at the same time.
    #8VerfasserMary Ann15 Jul. 08, 14:28
    Kommentar
    That doesn`t matter, for the results of the second persist so far.
    #9Verfasserprompter15 Jul. 08, 14:30
    Kommentar
    penguin hit the nail on the head :)
    #10VerfasserRES-can (330291) 15 Jul. 08, 14:31
    Kommentar
    how do you know this??
    #11VerfasserMary Ann15 Jul. 08, 14:31
    Kommentar
    read the initial clause again, Mary.
    #12Verfasserprompter15 Jul. 08, 14:32
    Kommentar
    You mean "whatever made you want to change your mind"??
    #13VerfasserMary Ann15 Jul. 08, 14:34
    Kommentar
    yes, exactly. So what do you propose at last?
    #14Verfasserprompter15 Jul. 08, 14:35
    Kommentar
    I am quite confused...
    #15VerfasserMary Ann15 Jul. 08, 14:36
    Kommentar
    just pull yourself together and think up something.
    #16Verfasserprompter15 Jul. 08, 14:37
    Kommentar
    Let somebody else take the floor.

I am fed up with this discussion.
    #17VerfasserMary Ann15 Jul. 08, 14:42
    Kommentar
    @Mary Ann/prompter: deine Teilnahme an den LEO-Foren ist nicht mehr erwünscht. Deine Beiträge sind falsch und/oder absichtlich irreführend und darüberhinaus unterhältst du dich noch mit dir selbst. Wenn ich weitere Beiträge von dir sehen sollte, werde ich die entsprechende Kontaktperson in deiner Firma informieren.
    #18VerfasserDoris (LEO-Team) (33) 15 Jul. 08, 14:43
    Vorschläge

whatever

-

was um himmels willen

Kommentar
    danke penguin!
    #19Verfasserlidzbark15 Jul. 08, 15:40
    Kommentar
    Dear Doris

1)I would like to ask you what mistakes have appeared in my above statements (I don`t mean Mary Ann) in the grammatical, as well as lexical context. If I get this information I will be able to correct similar ones in the future (that will be a good lesson for me, by the way).

2)I wonder which entity has given you the authorization to settle who may or may not take part in this forum, if he neither abuses one`s religious liberties,nor refers to any political or racial issues, nor uses words commonly considered as vulgar or insulting.

I hope to receive the reply soon, and then I will have the opportunity to revise my views or consider possible imperfections of my knowledge.

This time, please, answer me in English.

Best regards

prompter

#20Verfasserprompter15 Jul. 08, 19:11
    Vorschläge

What made you change your mind?

-

Was auch immer dich deine Meinung ändern ließ? Was könnte dich nur deine Meinung ändern lassen?

Kontext/ Beispiele
    What made you change your mind? What caused you to change your mind?

Kommentar
    If I may throw in a suggestion from the point of view of someone who is English...

I would say, 'What made you change your mind?' if I was being relatively neutral in tone. However, I might say, 'Whatever made you change your mind!' if I was very surprised by the fact that the person changed their mind.

Regarding previous posts, I would say that you could say, 'What caused you to change your mind?' or 'Whatever caused you to change your mind!' in the same way as my other suggestion above, although I personally find that a bit more formal. However, you cannot say 'What/whatever caused THAT..' as written in a couple of the posts above. In this particular case, I think you have to follow the verb with the noun/pronoun - e.g 'What caused him/her/Sally to do..'

I hope that helps clear things up a bit...
    #21VerfasserT (UK)15 Jul. 08, 21:06
    Kommentar
    T(UK)-However, you cannot say 'What/whatever caused THAT..' as written in a couple of the posts above. In this particular case, I think you have to follow the verb with the noun/pronoun - e.g 'What caused him/her/Sally to do..'-

1] And it came to pass that king Lamoni CAUSED THAT his servants should stand forth and testify to all the things which they had seen concerning the matter.

2] And when they had all testified to the things which they had seen, and he had learned of the faithfulness of Ammon in preserving his flocks, and also of his great power in contending against those who sought to slay him, he was astonished exceedingly, and said: Surely, this is more than a man. Behold, is not this the Great Spirit who doth send such great punishments upon this people, because of their murders?
    [

3] And they answered the king, and said: Whether he be the Great Spirit or a man,. etc.

Read more literature, T(UK).
    #22VerfasserGebiet16 Jul. 08, 08:22
    Vorschläge

Whatever made you want to change your mind?

-

Was um Himmels willen hat dich dazu veranlaßt, deine Meinung zu ändern?

Kommentar
    In the context of the original question, penguin gave the single best translation: “Was um Himmels willen hat Dich dazu veranlaßt, Deine Meinung zu ändern?” This has a closer translation to the exclamatory English question of “What on earth made you want to change your mind?!” Furthermore, “What/Whatever made you want to change your mind?” and “What was it that made you change your mind?” are perfectly acceptable in English.

“Whatever you do, you do to change my mind.” has an entirely different meaning, and should not be used here.

The sentence “Whatever caused that you changed your mind?” is much better written and spoken as: “What/Whatever caused you to change your mind?”

T (UK) is correct. The use of “caused that” in this particular context is archaic and not often spoken in English today. I believe the passage cited by Gebiet was written around 1830.

Ich hoffe, dass ich alles klar mache.
    #23VerfasserEisenmann_Matt30 Jul. 08, 04:32
    Kommentar
    re #22
    Although I grant you that the Bible is a great story, I would no more cite it for proper/common English usage than I would cite (my favorite writer) Shakespeare.
    e.g.
    The shop assistance politely inquired as to who was next, and they answered the shopkeeper, and said: Whether he be the postman or the man,. etc.

OR
    A customer who wants to pay calls out
    Shopkeeper, shopkeeper where art thou?

Understandable? Yes, but you'd get some strange looks
    #24Verfassermags22 (423223) 30 Jul. 08, 05:03
    Kommentar
    ooops sorry that was LDS, I spake too soon : )
    #25Verfassermags22 (423223) 30 Jul. 08, 05:11
    Kommentar
    #mags22

Thy opinion is plausible.

I fully agree with thee.
    #26VerfasserDie Eichkatze30 Jul. 08, 08:58

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt