• Special characters

• Lautschrift

leo-ende
Advertisement
Source Language Term

Die zentrale Figur dieser Traumzeit ist die Regenbogenschlange, denn sie stellt die Verschmelzung von Geist und Materie dar.

3 replies   
Correct?

The main character/figure ? of this Dreamtime is a ?, because shte illustrate the fusing of spirit and matter.

Examples/ definitions with source references
Die zentrale Figur dieser Traumzeit ist die Regenbogenschlange, denn sie stellt die Verschmelzung von Geist und Materie dar.

The main character/figure ? of this Dreamtime is a ?, because shte illustrate the fusing of spirit and matter.
Comment
?
AuthorMilki21 Apr 09, 19:39
Suggestions

-

The main character of this Dreamtime is the Rainbow Snake because it represents the fusing of spirit and matter.

#1AuthorWerner (236488) 21 Apr 09, 20:57
Comment
@ Milki: Die Verwendung der Formulierung 'dieser Traumzeit' bedeutet m.E., daß sie (diese) im vorangegangenen Satz erwähnt wurde . . .

Aus dem Zusammenhang gerissen, läßt dein Satz die Interpretation zu, es gäbe mehrere Traumzeiten . . .

Bei der Übersetzung sähe ich daher eher: '... of the Dreamtime ...' . . .

#2AuthorDaddy . . . (533448) 21 Apr 09, 21:28
Suggestions

?

-

rainbow serpent

Context/ examples
The central figure of the Dreamtime is the Rainbow Serpent, because it illustrates the fusion of spirit and matter.

Comment
Definitely "Serpent" not "snake"- it's just the expression.

I'd prefer "...the Rainbow Serpent, (who/ which) illustrates"... but this depends on your context I guess.

"Illustrates" or "represents"?

I'm not sure whether to pick "he" or "she" or "it"- grammatically, it's normally "it", but you'd have to look in to whether Australian Aboriginals considered the Rainbow Serpent a sentient and/ or gendered being. Not sure about this.

"Main character" seems a bit like in a play I think- you would do better to take "central figure" directly, it's good in the context.

Good luck!

#3Authorö07 Jun 09, 17:30
i Only registered users are allowed to post in this forum

LEO uses cookies in order to facilitate the fastest possible website experience with the most functions. In some cases cookies from third parties are also used. For further information about this subject please refer to the information under  Leo’s Terms of use / Data protection (Cookies)