1: a usually private school preparing students primarily for college
2 British : a private elementary school preparing students primarily for British public schools
pre'paratory school (also 'prep school) noun
1 (in Britain) a private school for children between the ages of 7 and 13—compare public school
2 (in the US) a school, usually a private one, that prepares students for college
* preparatory school noun [C]
FORMAL FOR prep school
* prep school noun [C]
in Britain, a private school (= a school paid for by parents not the government), for children, especially boys, between the ages of 7 and 13
, who will then usually go to public school, and in the US, a private school for children over the age of 11, which prepares them to go to college
preparatory school noun 1 in the UK: a private school for children aged between seven and thirteen, usually preparing them for public school. 2 in the US: a private secondary school, preparing pupils for college. Often shortened to prep school.
FWIW, Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preparatory_school
Preparatory school or prep school may refer to:
* University-preparatory school, a school in North America that is a private secondary school, typically charging high fees, designed to prepare students aged 14-18 for higher education at a university or college.
* Preparatory school (UK), a school in the UK that is a private school designed to prepare pupils under 13 for entry into the fee-required public schools that are the equivalent of the college/university prep schools in North America.
* Gymnasium (school), the European equivalent of a North American University-preparatory school.
* Classe préparatoire aux grandes écoleshttp://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grundschule
Der Begriff Grundschule umfasst die in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland ab Ende der 1960er Jahre aus den unteren Klassen der Volksschulen hervorgegangenen Schulen, die von Kindern der Klassen 1 bis 4 (nur in Berlin und Brandenburg Klassen 1 bis 6) besucht werden. Diese umfasst die Altersstufen von etwa sechs bis zehn Jahren bzw. zwölf Jahren