• noun 1 a railway carriage with seats convertible into sleeping berths. 2 a berth in such a carriage.
— ORIGIN French, ‘small couch’.
Compact Oxford English Dictionaryhttp://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/couchett...
cou·chette audio (k-sht) KEY
1. A compartment on a European passenger train equipped with four to six berths for sleeping.
2. A sleeping berth in one of these compartments.
American Heritage Dictionary of the English Languagehttp://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictiona...
Pronunciation: (kOO-shet'), [key]
1. a sleeping berth in a passenger compartment that can be collapsed to form a benchlike seat for daytime use.
2. a compartment containing such berths.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease. http://dictionary.infoplease.com/couchette