sich streiten (mit)

5 replies   
Correct?

to fight, quarrel argue (with)

Examples/ definitions with source references
Ich streite mich oft mit meinen Eltern.

I often fight with my parents.
Comment
Ist "fight" ein geläufiges Wort für "streiten"? Mein Englischlehrer hat mir das Wort im Test angestrichen als Ausdrucksfehler, aber kann man das wirklich nicht verwenden?
AuthorChatot28 Sep 09, 13:58
Comment
"fight" wird meistens als kämpfen verstanden; mit Eltern passt "argue" viel besser, ausser ihr prügelt euch wirklich gegenseitig. :-)
#1AuthorHansdampf28 Sep 09, 14:15
Comment
"fight" passt auf jeden Fall und muss nicht eine echte Schlägerei bezeichnen, sondern einfach dass man sich streitet, ohne etwas außer Worten zu verwenden.

z.B. I had a fight with my parents this weekend about the car.

My best friend and I constantly fight, but we always make up.

#2AuthorBirnham28 Sep 09, 23:33
Comment
"fight" ist richtig.
#3AuthorMilli29 Sep 09, 01:12
Comment
Agree with # 2 and # 3, because spouses occasionally get into a fight, and that is meant verbally. :-))
#4AuthorHelmi (U.S.) (236620) 29 Sep 09, 01:39
Suggestions

sich streiten (mit)

-

to argue (with)

Context/ examples
Ich streite mich oft mit meinen Eltern

I often argue with my parents. [Brit.]
Comment
I know that this is an old thread, but it struck me that it was seriously lacking on one point.

The use of the word "fight" meaning to have a [strong] purely verbal dispute with someone is, to my mind, an instance of purely American English.

In British English "fight" normally connotes physical violence!

We British normally use "argue" in this kind of context.
#5AuthorJoe W12 Dec 10, 18:35
i Only registered users are allowed to post in this forum

LEO uses cookies in order to facilitate the fastest possible website experience with the most functions. In some cases cookies from third parties are also used. For further information about this subject please refer to the information under  Leo’s Terms of use / Data protection (Cookies)