a shot across the bows - ein Schuss vor den Bug

8 replies   
Correction

a warning shot across the bow

-

ein (Warn-) Schuss vor den Bug

Examples/ definitions with source references
Idiom Definitions for 'Shot across the bow'

A shot across the bow is a warning to tell someone to stop doing something or face very serious consequences.

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/...
Comment
+(fig.)
Authorw30 Jan 10, 16:51
Comment
a shot across the bows is exactly what you need, dear w.
actually, I'd favor a full broadside, but that's just me.
#1Authorflueless30 Jan 10, 21:38
Comment
@ flueless

bow or bows ?
#2Authorw30 Jan 10, 22:09
Context/ examples
Comment
Bow, in the singular, as far as I know.

To me a shot across the bow is a warning shot, so combining the two would be redundant. But more people are likely to recognize the latter expression than the former.

My impression from the most recent thread was that this expression might have a wider range in German than in English. But what might really help is several more examples in both languages. w?
#3Authorhm -- us (236141) 31 Jan 10, 08:59
Comment
The saying "einen Schuss vor den Bug bekommen" can be used both in nautical terms as a warning shot and figuratively, as the last serious request to stop an action.
#4Authorw31 Jan 10, 10:45
Context/ examples
a shot across the bows one thus directed so as to warn a ship off rather than damage it (often ).
[Chambers Dictionary & Thesaurus]

a (warning) shot across the
bows a statement or gesture
intended to frighten someone
into changing their course of
action: supporters are firing a
warning shot across the
President's bows.
[New Oxford Dictionary of English]

fire a (warning) shot across sb's bow(s)
slightly formal
to do something in order to warn someone that you will take strong action if they do not change their behaviour
Airline staff have fired a warning shot across the company's bows by threatening to strike if higher pay increases are not offered.
http://www.dictionary.cambridge.org/define.as...
Comment
Ich finde mindestens zwei Belege für bows.
Das CALD führt across so's bow allerdings als Variante.
#5AuthorDoris (LEO-Team) (33) 04 Feb 10, 11:15
Context/ examples
Oxford Dictionary of Idioms, 2dn ed.:
a warning shot across the bows
a statement or gesture intended to frighten someone into changing their course of action. [Literally, a shot fired in front of the bows of a ship is one which is not intended to hit it but to make it stop or alter course]

Cambridge International Dictionary of Idioms:
fire a shot across sb's/the bows  slighty formal
if you fire a shot across someone's bows, you do something in order to warn them that you will take strong action if they do not change their behavior. Airline staff have fired a warning shot across the company's bows by threatening strike action if higher pay increases are not offered
Comment
Additional references.
#6AuthorNorbert Juffa (unplugged)04 Feb 10, 17:43
Context/ examples
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/dec/02/opini...
When high-ranking Democratic congressmen such as David Obey, John Murtha and Charles Rangel announce they're going to demand an income surtax to fund the war, it's a legislative shot across the president's bow, an implicit demand that he choose between his domestic agenda and what he perceives as his duty to national security.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/feb/08/local...
"They are trying to bring this cost bill as a warning to any other folks who might seek justice," the L.A. lawyer said. "My assumption is that it's punitive and it's designed as a shot across the bow of any would-be plaintiffs in the future."

http://m.latimes.com/inf/infomo?view=World+Ne...
Clinton specifically criticized the Chinese and others for Internet censorship. And she suggested that defense against cyber attacks was a core issue of mutual defense for the United States and its allies. "This was definitely a shot across the bow," said Charles A. Kupchan, a National Security Council aide in the Clinton administration. "This is a level of rhetoric vis-a-vis China that is new."
Comment
Is "bows" vs "bow" possibly an AE/BE difference? The usual form in AE publications seems to be "bow". Cf. examples above.
#7AuthorNorbert Juffa (unplugged)04 Feb 10, 17:53
Comment
Both "bow" and "bows" can refer to the "Bug" of a ship. (It's because one needs two bows -- one on each side -- to make the bowed shape at the front of a ship.) My subjective impression, however, is that the plural form is on its way out.
#8Authorxeno04 Feb 10, 23:08
i Only registered users are allowed to post in this forum

LEO uses cookies in order to facilitate the fastest possible website experience with the most functions. In some cases cookies from third parties are also used. For further information about this subject please refer to the information under  Leo’s Terms of use / Data protection (Cookies)