Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

Translation correct?

Exerzitiengeber - retreat giver

Source Language Term

Exerzitiengeber rel.

Correct?

retreat giver

Examples/ definitions with source references
    Wenn der Exerzitiengeber gewahrt, daß in der Seele dessen, der sie empfängt, keinerlei geistliche Bewegungen stattfinden, als da sind Tröstungen oder Trostlosigkeiten, und er nicht von verschiedenen Geistern getrieben wird, muß er ihn viel um die Übungen fragen.
    Comment
    -
    Authorw20 Mar 10, 14:39
    Comment
    It's hard to tell with so little context. The one example you cite seems to be more historical than modern language.

In general, (spiritual) exercises are much more specific, formal, and traditional, than a retreat, which is a fairly modern and fairly vague term that can simply mean a weekend of peace and quiet for personal reflection. There might be some particular instances in particular Catholic traditions in which a retreat implies the use of certain spiritual exercises, but I don't think they're really the same thing by definition. So in your example sentence I think what's meant is more like the person directing, administering, supervising, etc. the spiritual exercises.

Sharper would know this if he was around, or others may want to comment. But you may need to define how you understand the German term, and say whether you want it in a Catholic or a general context, and a historical or a modern context.

#1Authorhm -- us (236141) 20 Mar 10, 22:12
    Suggestions

Exerzitiengeber

-

director

Comment
    I think in this context the Exercises are Ignatian (The Spritual Exercises of St Ignatius Loyola. So the term you need for Exerzitiengeber is Director (or Spiritual Director). Tröstung and Trostlosigkeit would be consolations and desolations. The lines quoted are from Annotation 5 to the Spiritual Exercises.
    #2AuthorTony Phelan20 Aug 10, 15:17

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt