Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Übersicht

Neuer Eintrag für LEO

to spout off (about sth.) - drauflosreden / klugscheißen

Neuer Eintrag

to spout off (about sth.) - drauflosreden / klugscheißen

Weitere Neueinträge

to spout off

-

das Maul / die Klappe aufreißen

to spout sth.

-

etw. plappern / von sich geben

Beispiele/ Definitionen mit Quellen
    LEO:
    Verben (3 of 4)
    to spout - ausspritzen, herausspritzen
    to spout (sth.) - (etw.) speien
    Verben (1 of 1)
    to spout (sth.) - (etw.) spritzen
    Verben (5 of 5)
    to shoot one's (big) fat mouth [coll.] - das Maul aufreißen [ugs.]
    to shoot one's mouth off [coll.] - die Klappe aufreißen [ugs.]
    to shoot one's mouth off [coll.] - das Maul aufreißen [ugs.]
    to shoot one's mouth off [coll.] - seine Meinung lauthals verkünden
    to shoot one's mouth off about sth. [coll.] - etw.[Akk.] ausplaudern

"Yes, I’m just another movie star spouting off my political opinions."
    Siehe auch: to spout off

Siehe auch: to shoot one's mouth off - die Klappe aufreis...
    Siehe auch: spout her mouth off - sich dem Mund zerreden,...
    Siehe auch: klugscheissen

NOAD:
    spout - ... (v.) ... 2: express (one's views or ideas) in a lengthy, declamatory, and unreflecting way: he was spouting platitudes about animal rights | [intrans.] they like to spout off at each other.

Webster's 3rd unabridged:
    ¹spout - vt ... 2: to speak or utter readily, volubly, and at length {fairly spouted technicalities ...} {spouted French like a Frenchman} {every cabdriver in town can spout facts and gossip ...} often: to speak or utter in a pompous, oratorical, or grandiloquent manner: DECLAIM {custom of these judges to spout extravagant ... harangues from the bench ...} {spouting Latin invective ...} {always goes around spouting Shakespeare} {spouts tag ends of wisdom ...} ... ~vi ... 3: to talk or speak volubly or at length esp. in a pompous or grandiloquent manner: DECLAIM ... {spouting about science and rationalism ...}

Random House unabridged:
    spout - v.t. ... 2. [Informal.] to state or declaim volubly or in an oratorical manner: He spouted his theories on foreign policy for the better part of the night. —v.i. ... 5. [Informal.] to talk or speak at some length or in an oratorical manner.

AHD2:
    spout - —intr. ... 3. [Informal.] To speak volubly and tediously. —tr. ... 2. To utter pompously and volubly.
    Kommentar
    This came up today. I think both 'spout (sth.)' and 'spout off (about sth.)' are pretty interchangeable with 'shoot one's mouth off (about sth.),' which is already in LEO. (Though the entry with 'big fat mouth' was probably a mistake, since it lacks the word 'off,' and I thought people had voted against 'seine Meinung lauthals verkünden' as being the wrong diction level.)

Other suggestions that have come up previously for some of these include

sich das Maul zerreißen
    aufschneiden

I think 'spout off' can also sometimes have an element of bragging, so 'aufschneiden' is probably also okay.

To me 'spout off about sth.' can also often have an element of complaining or criticizing, ventilating, giving voice to one's dissatisfaction.

The only one I think doesn't really apply here is 'ausplaudern'; it's not really so much about telling a secret, to my ears.

Hopefully the German speakers can agree on the best choices for the German side. I'm not sure about the best preposition to go with 'about sth.'; maybe 'über etw.' or 'zu etw.'?

Verfasser hm -- us (236141) 16 Jun. 10, 21:13
    Kommentar
    To me 'spout off about sth.' can also often have an element of complaining or criticizing, ventilating, giving voice to one's dissatisfaction.

agree - often a fatuous way to make a(n unnecessary) point
    das Maul zerreissen, einen Redeschwall von sich geben

support hm
    #1Verfassernoli (489500) 16 Jun. 10, 21:27
    Kommentar
    Unterstuetzung fuer die meisten, mit Ausnahme von "klugscheissen".

"Klugscheissen", was auch noch in LEO fehlt, ist fuer mich eher in Richtung "being a wise ass". Also mehr eine uebertriebene, aufdringliche, pendatische Belehrung. Waehrend "to spout off" fuer mich eher nach "hat keine Ahnung, aber meldet sich" klingt.

#2VerfasserMausling (384473) 17 Jun. 10, 00:15
    Kontext/ Beispiele
    "Yes, I’m just another movie star spouting off my political opinions."

das Maul/Klappe aufreißen [ugs.] - ohne Objekt
    die Klappe aufreißen [ugs.] - ohne Objekt
    das Maul aufreißen [ugs.] - ohne Objekt
    seine Meinung lauthals verkünden - zu etwas und über etwas
    etw.[Akk.] ausplaudern
    sich das Maul zerreißen - über etwas oder jemanden
    aufschneiden - ohne Objekt
    klugscheißen - evtl. zu und über, meist aber ohne Objekt
    Kommentar
    Meiner Meinung nach kann 'klugscheißen' durchaus auch passen, da für mich ein Klugscheißer einer ist, der als einziger der Meinung ist, daß er was Kluges zu einer Sache beizutragen hat.

'Aufschneiden' ist für mich ein Synonym zu 'angeben' und paßt meiner Ansicht nach hier nicht.

Wenn ich vom Beispielssatz ausgehe, passen die bislang aufgeführten Möglichkeiten eigentlich nicht so gut. Ich würde ihn so übersetzen:
    (...) der seine politischen Ansichten (ungefragt) herausposaunt.

Eine weiter Möglichkeit könnte 'seinen Senf dazu geben' sein. Da in den englischen Definitionen immer enthalten ist, daß es längliche Äußerungen sind, könnte man ein 'lang und breit' einfügen. 'Sich auslassen über' wäre dann auch noch eine Möglichkeit.

#3VerfasserSelima (107) 17 Jun. 10, 07:49
    Kontext/ Beispiele
    internet examples
    1a) go on and on about mindlessly; talk at length without thinking; mindlessly regurgitate; quote
    • a gadfly with a history of showing up at every Reno City Council meeting to spout off about something
    • Others see him as a short-sighted, egomaniacal reactionary, who shoots from the hip by spouting off about his pie-in-the-sky ideas but offers no method for ...
    • Not the impression she typically gives off, but I guess it's not uncommon for someone in that condition to spout off without thinking clearly
    • they weren't simply the result of a coupla movie fans spouting off over their beers about what movies they liked
    • [nothing] else seemed to exist but whatever idea he was spouting off over a really bad cup of coffee in a greasy booth at our favourite diner

• People who are obliged to spout this drivel all day long should be handsomely paid; it must rot their very souls.
    • I felt sorry for Crudup, a thoughtful actor forced to spout gibberish about the meaning of time
    • Max von Sydow, as Williams' guide to the underworld, looks embarras[s]ed about some of the trite lines he's forced to spout.
    • you're one of those people who like to spout worthless platitudes to hear yourself talk
    • given that all the "journalists" on this rag are obliged to spout Labour propaganda, this can be no surprise.
    • I['ve] been at a few meetings where he was obliged to spout the party line and his discomfort was palpable.
    • It means forced into collective farms, forced to spout Marxist-Leninist dogma in Russian, forced to read a host of writers who wrote odes to hammers
    • In fact, it was not long ago in the American West that cowboys, outlaws, trappers, traders, and miners went around spouting Shakespeare
    • I love to spout Shakespeare every chance I get, but that one won't be on my list, because it was written by Elizabeth Barrett Browning
    • Tell students not familiar with Macbeth that the charlatan who is spouting Shakespeare in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn does not seem to know that ...
    • She was rich and everybody loved her so why on earth would she marry a poet who spent his time at her window spouting his ludicrous poetry.
    • In Europe, the fin de siècle was largely an opportunity for pale-faced men to wear purple cummerbunds and spout rotten symbolist poetry
    • Liz is known to wax philosophical and spout almost nonsensical poetry at random intervals.

1b) express a pseudo-expert opinion; klugscheißen
    • get more and more intolerant of people who spout off about something they know nothing about.
    • especially with Lindsey Graham spouting off about questionable science
    • Now would typically be the time where I would spout off about there being more to baseball and pitching than 'stuff' and velocity
    • I have even seen professional economists spout off about the Fair Tax without the facts
    • given Cruise's tendency to jump on couches and spout off about mental health
    • by our Constitution (or just chooses to ignore it), we don't need citizens who spout off about the legality of a subject they are not familiar with.
    • Anyone can spout off about who's an amateur and who's a professional but facts are still facts
    • LJ did not cite the Geographic Information Office's (AGIO) research when spouting off about aerial imaging, nor did he accurately portray the details from ...
    • This isnt the first time Topgun has spouted off over something he does not understand

• Unfortunately, the 1st amendment does allows you to freely spout utter nonsense.
    • being an Atheist and I don't want to be but how can an omniscient, Omnipotent God allow his followers to spout such utter rubbish?
    • There are probably many more that spout utter rubbish! Be careful and don't trust something simply because you "found it online."
    • Mostly that means having a go at the tabloids since they spout dubious rubbish every day, but sometimes I go at other targets
    • suddenly spout wisdom well beyond their years, as when they pontificate on the fickleness of young hearts as if they weren't, indeed, young hearts
    • I might manage to stand on the front porch and spout wisdom at them for, say, an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon
    • I know absolutely nothing about human relationships, yet I continue spouting worthless advice
    • Throughout the trip, Abe will not stop telling stories and spouting useless advice, making the family shun him.

2a) complain, ventilate, express frustration, spew
    • Nass is one of those politicians who spout off about the evils of government, that it needs to stay out of our way. Yet he's more than eager to pass ...
    • While I would like to spout off about how Americans DO need to eat less, Urban Outfitters is a trendy store
    • They weren't spouting off about conspiracies among auto makers or the evil nature of oil companies.
    • Keep spouting off about "past" administrations. Every time he opens his mouth, the GOP candidates get a boost.
    • I love how so many conservatives spout off about imaginary crimes, bizarre conspiracy theories and inane complete misunderstandings of the law
    • Rooney certainly seemed to have been stripped of the capacity for rational thought as he spouted off about some perceived injustice
    • Geoff, it is obvious that you are anti TT and anti bike but do you have to keep spouting off about it.
    • I'm always wary of politicians — even friends — when they start spouting off about terrorists.

• The xenophobes spout their racist nonsense insisting that they are defending their right to speak
    • This guy has a right to express himself, but I'm ashamed that any American could spout such hateful bile.
    • The same, sadly, cannot be said for many SNP fanatics on here who spout hate-filled bile against their fellow countrymen
    • other people have told you before dont post if you only want to spout vindictive bile and try and cause a reaction , you must lead a sad sad lonely life
    • Those little voices of inadequacy don't exist if we don't give them a megaphone to spout their vitriol (a.k.a. bitterness).
    • It's nearly impossible to think someone could face any gathering and spout such hate, vitriol and nonsense while keeping a straight face
    • the right to “free speech” does not entail the right to a platform at the University of Cambridge to spout racist garbage
    • Sometimes it is necessary to just show a bit of compassion rather than spout a load of rubbish said to try and inflame a response from other posters

2b) lecture, moralize
    • I wonder if he'll be so quick now to spout off about someone else's “inappropriate behavior” while he's in court fighting to keep from shelling out $185,000
    • And even the most homophobic religious-right demagogue feels obliged to spout -- and may well actually believe -- bromides about God's love
    • It's pinched, neo-Victorian, mindlessly anti-masculine, obsessively egalitarian insect-hill societies that spout off about “discipline” and “morale” while ...
    • There will be elections and there will be politicians spouting off about family values. Challenge them to describe just what those values are

• They spout family values, good wholesome [C]hristian philosophy, and are the moral equivalent of whorehouse patrons! Nuff said
    • Being about as non-religious as one can get, I'm always interested when folks spout Christian values, then live by other values
    • Rand's portrayal of an anti-mind, anti-reason cabal of collectivist rulers, who spout oleaginous platitudes about love and self-sacrifice

3) brag, boast
    • spout off (about someone or something). 1. to brag or boast about someone or something. Stop spouting off about Tom. Nobody could be that good!
    • All he likes to do is put down the [M]ets and spout off about all his connections. If he says one more time how many people are going to call him
    • Had he spouted off about his struggles or his hard-luck rise to the top it would be easy to raise a fuss over the track. He does anything but.
    • Russell has been spouting off about how much he LURVES Katy Perry and how his womanising ways are so OVAH.
    • People don't take too kindly to players spouting off about their expectations.
    • You keep spouting off about American success, and prosperity, but you never stop to ask how we achieved that success
    • Before you go spouting off about what a success story capitalism is, I suggest you take a look at what is going on
    • They're humble too; you generally won't hear them spouting off about their superiority in any field--except maybe sports
    • After a day at work, I don't want to have to listen to a someone at the gym spout off about Apple's superiority and why everyone should switch to Mac
    • The one spouting off about their intellectual superiority...over an easy target I might add...is you. No imagination required
    • It hasn't helped MU's cause to have the governor of Missouri spout off about the academic superiority of certain Big 10 schools
    Kommentar

Okay, I can see it would be helpful for the German speakers to have more concrete examples. Sorry I didn't take the time to do that the first time.

I may not have gotten all the above into exactly the right categories, but hopefully it will help at least to give an idea of the range of meaning.
    #4Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 17 Jun. 10, 09:38
    Kontext/ Beispiele
    1a) go on and on about mindlessly; talk at length without thinking; mindlessly regurgitate; quote
    • Not the impression she typically gives off, but I guess it's not uncommon for someone in that condition to spout off without thinking clearly - einfach drauflosplappern
    • they weren't simply the result of a coupla movie fans spouting off over their beers about what movies they liked - sich auslassen über
    http://www.dwds.de/?kompakt=1&qu=auslassen (No. 3)

1b) express a pseudo-expert opinion; klugscheißen
    • get more and more intolerant of people who spout off about something they know nothing about.
    • especially with Lindsey Graham spouting off about questionable science
    • Now would typically be the time where I would spout off about there being more to baseball and pitching than 'stuff' and velocity
    alle drei: klugscheißen und klugreden
    http://www.dwds.de/?kompakt=1&qu=Klugscheißer

2a) complain, ventilate, express frustration, spew
    • Nass is one of those politicians who spout off about the evils of government, that it needs to stay out of our way. Yet he's more than eager to pass ...
    • While I would like to spout off about how Americans DO need to eat less, Urban Outfitters is a trendy store
    • They weren't spouting off about conspiracies among auto makers or the evil nature of oil companies. -
    lamentieren sich auslassen über

2b) lecture, moralize
    • I wonder if he'll be so quick now to spout off about someone else's “inappropriate behavior” while he's in court fighting to keep from shelling out $185,000
    • And even the most homophobic religious-right demagogue feels obliged to spout -- and may well actually believe -- bromides about God's love
    sich auslassen, moralisieren, ablassen (ablassen ist ugs. für äußern, bspw. "Hör auf, so einen Unsinn abzulassen")

3) brag, boast
    • spout off (about someone or something). 1. to brag or boast about someone or something. Stop spouting off about Tom. Nobody could be that good!
    • All he likes to do is put down the [M]ets and spout off about all his connections. If he says one more time how many people are going to call him
    • Had he spouted off about his struggles or his hard-luck rise to the top it would be easy to raise a fuss over the track. He does anything but.
    Tatsächlich: aufschneiden, angeben, prahlen etc.
    Kommentar
    Mal ein Anfang :-)
    #5VerfasserSelima (107) 17 Jun. 10, 10:10
    Kommentar
    Drei Alternativen sind mir noch eingefallen:

herausplatzen mit etwas
    (zu)schwallen, zutexten (jemanden mit einem Wortschwall überfallen, ungefragt und rücksichtslos auf jemanden einreden, jmd. seine Ansichten aufdrängen)
    #6VerfasserSelima (107) 17 Jun. 10, 10:44
    Kommentar
    Thanks for all the suggestions. 'Sich auslassen über' was new to me but seems to fit here particularly well, along with several of the others.

#7Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 17 Jun. 10, 20:20
    Kommentar
    #21 agree - sich auslassen is v good
    #8Verfassernoli (489500) 17 Jun. 10, 21:20

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt