In the following paragraphs we inform you about the way your personal data are used in connection with the services that LEO offers.
None of the data stored by LEO is forwarded or sold to third parties.
Your data is stored on servers which are owned by and belong to LEO GmbH. These servers are located in Germany.
Use of LEO
Have you changed your mind about using LEO for free with personalized advertising, ad tracking, usage analysis and external multimedia content? You may revoke your consent by clicking this button:
Use of the LEO website through a web browser (Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, EDGE, Vivaldi, etc.) without registration / user account
Data required for the presentation of the website
When a user visits the website, a series of general data and information are collected with each visit. The following data may be collected:
- the IP address,
- the timestamp. This is the day and time the website was visited,
- the request line. This is the path of the target address without the domain.
- the status code. These are certain code numbers that are helpful for error analysis. For example, 200 means that the page was presented without errors and 404 means that a page was not found,
- the size of the response body. This indicates the size of the content you downloaded or viewed.
- referer sent by the client. This indicates which page you came to our website from.
- user agent, which was sent by the client. This is information about the type and version of the browser and operating system you are using.
The purpose of the processing is, first of all, to ensure that data can be transmitted to your terminal device at all. The use of the IP address is indispensable for this.
In addition, the data are used to compile visitor statistics, to carry out error analysis, to ensure that our website is working properly at all times and, in the event of cyber attacks, to be able to analyse these and take defensive measures, as well as to involve law enforcement authorities if necessary.
The legal basis for the processing measures is Art. 6. para. 1. Sent.1 (f) GDPR, a legitimate interest, namely to enable you to visit the website, to compile visitor statistics in order to make the website more user-friendly, to analyse errors, to ensure the website is working properly and to defend ourselves against cyber attacks.
It is only the IP address which has a direct personal reference. The other data only becomes personal data in connection with the IP address. The IP address is stored for a maximum of seven days and then deleted or anonymised.
For the content at https://blog.leo.org we use HostPress GmbH, Bahnhofstraße 34, 66571 Eppelborn, Germany, as the host provider. It is the recipient of the aforementioned data in the terms of data protection law. We have concluded a data-processing contract with our host provider. This means that it processes personal data exclusively on our behalf and in accordance with our instructions on the basis of a legally prescribed contract in accordance with Art. 28 GDPR.
All other services and content under the domain leo.org are hosted by ourselves.
We may use so-called Content Delivery Networks (CDN) and engage order processors for this purpose. Such CDNs serve a legitimate interest in accordance with Art. 6, para. 1, sent.1 (f). GDPR to increase the security and the delivery speed of our website to visitors by optimising the delivery of the contents of our website from servers distributed worldwide. In this context, personal data may be processed in server log files by the CDN. Your personal data will be stored for as long as is necessary for the purposes described. We currently use the services of Cloudflare Germany GmbH, Rosental 7, c/o Mindspace, 80331 Munich Germany (Cloudflare).
In the context of the use of Cloudflare, there may be a transfer of data to countries, in particular to the USA, where there is no valid adequacy decision of the European Commission. In this regard, the appropriate safeguards according to Art. 46 GDPR consist of the standard data protection clauses of the European Commission, which are included in our contract with Cloudflare and which can be viewed at https://www.cloudflare.com/de-de/cloudflare-customer-dpa/.
On our website we use so-called cookies and similar technologies to enable visitors to use certain functions and thus make visiting our website more attractive. Cookies are small text files that are automatically stored on the user’s terminal device.
Some of the cookies we use are deleted at the end of the browser session, i.e. after you close your browser (so-called session cookies). Other cookies remain on your end device (persistent cookies). They enable us to recognise your browser on your next visit.
 Chrome- und Chromium-basierte Browser limitieren Cookies auf maximal 400 Tage
Name Host Dauer Beschreibung vsize dict.leo.org 365 Tage This cookie is used to store browser capabilities. No personal information is collected. rewrite dict.leo.org 10 Jahre / 400 Tage Saves preference of viewing mobile or desktop view of the webpage redirect-to-desktop / redirect-to-mobile dict.leo.org 10 Jahre / 400 Tage Mit diesem Cookie wird gespeichert, ob Sie eine Extra-Möglichkeit zum Wechsel zur Desktop-/Mobilansicht erhalten möchten trainerTutorial dict.leo.org 10 Jahre / 400 Tage Will store which tutorials have already been seen by this browser. LEOID dict.leo.org 7 Tage Necessary to prevent fraudulent usage OptanonConsent leo.org 365 Tage Dieses Cookie wird durch die Cookie-Compliance-Lösung von CookiePro gesetzt. Es speichert Informationen über die Kategorien von Cookies, die die Website verwendet und ob Besucher ihre Zustimmung für die Verwendung jeder Kategorie gegeben oder widerrufen haben. Dadurch können Website-Besitzer verhindern, dass Cookies in jeder Kategorie im Benutzerbrowser gesetzt werden, wenn keine Zustimmung erteilt wird. Der Cookie hat eine normale Lebensdauer von einem Jahr, so dass zurückkehrende Besucher auf der Website ihre Vorlieben in Erinnerung behalten. Sie enthält keine Informationen, die den Websitebesucher identifizieren können. PHPSESSID leo.org Sitzung PHP-Sitzungscookie, das mit eingebetteten Inhalten aus dieser Domäne verknüpft ist. __cflb dict.leo.org 1 Tag Dieses Cookie wird von Cloudfare zum Lastenausgleich verwendet. OptanonAlertBoxClosed leo.org 365 Tage Dieses Cookie wird von Websites gesetzt, die bestimmte Versionen der Cookie-Compliance-Lösung von CookiePro verwenden. Sie wird gesetzt, nachdem Besucher einen Cookie-Informationshinweis gesehen haben und in einigen Fällen nur, wenn sie die Benachrichtigung aktiv schließen. Es ermöglicht der Website, die Nachricht nicht mehr als einmal für einen Benutzer anzuzeigen. Das Cookie hat eine Lebensdauer von einem Jahr und enthält keine persönlichen Informationen. contentSolveHelp dict.leo.org 10 Jahre / 400 Tage Will store which tutorials and help texts in LEOs language courses have already been seen by this browser. quill-autoformat dict.leo.org Sitzung In rich-text-input-fields (e.g. in LEOs forum), this cookie will be used to store user preferences about whether text should be autoformated (e.g. lines starting with a dash will be transformed to bullet point lists) cto_writeable dict.leo.org Einige Sekunden Dieses Cookie wird vom Audience Manager einer Website gesetzt, um festzustellen, ob zusätzliche Cookies von Drittanbietern im Browser des Besuchers gesetzt werden können. quill-emojies dict.leo.org Einige Sekunden Define if you want to automatically convert ASCII-emojies (like ":-)" into UTF-8 emojies that look like small images.
You may revoke your consent at any time by clicking this button:
Einwilligung zurücknehmen. The cookie settings are checked and stored by our partner CookiePro by OneTrust. Further information about conformity with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) as well as the Privacy Notice and the Cookie-Notice issued by CookiePro by OneTrust are also available to you there.
With CookiePro by OneTrust we have concluded an agreement to process specific tasksunder which it acts exclusively in accordance with our instructions. CookiePro, for its part, sets cookies for the documentation of the consent you have given. The legal basis for the use of these cookies is an existing legitimate interest in accordance with Art. 6, para 1, sent. 1(f). GDPR, namely in the fulfilment of our legal obligations.
- Depending on your use of the services offered by LEO, the following cookies may be stored
- "trainer": stores data about the tips which have already been displayed in the Trainer. This cookie is deleted after 10,000 days.
- "config": stores data about whether the user wants to receive tips for the solution of specific practice tasks. The cookie is only stored if the user does not wish to receive these tips. This cookie is deleted after 10,000 days.
- "contentSolveHelp": stores data about whether a language-course user has already seen specific tips or whether the user generally does not wish to see the tips. The cookie is only stored if you are a language-course user. This cookie is deleted after 10,000 days.
We have concluded a data-processing contract with Google. Your personal data is therefore processed exclusively on our behalf and in accordance with our instructions on the basis of a legally prescribed contract pursuant to Art. 28 GDPR.
Ads & tracking
Statt unseres LEO-Pur-Angebots können Sie LEO auch kostenfrei und werbefinanziert nutzen, da wir alternativ zu LEO-Pur unsere Webseite Dritten („Anbieter“) als digitalen Werbeplatz zur Verfügung zu stellen. Für diesen Zweck der Werbung ergreifen wir und unsere Werbepartner die unten beschriebenen verschiedenen Maßnahmen, um die Werbung möglichst passgenau anzubieten, auszuliefern und abzurechnen. Diese werbefinanzierte Nutzung ist aber nur mit Ihrer Einwilligung möglich, so dass Sie in die Maßnahmen zum Zweck der Werbung einwilligen müssen. Diese können Sie hier im Detail einsehen:
To the extent that we make advertising directly available, this is done by means of a link to the specific advertiser’s own website. In this process LEO does not deposit any cookies or record any personal data of any kind.
Use of LEO through a web browser (Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, EDGE, Vivaldi, etc.) with log in / user account
If you register with LEO and are logged on, the following additional data is recorded / transmitted / stored
- The following cookies may be stored:
- "token":contains a random series of letters and numbers to make an automatic log on possible. This cookie is only deposited if you selected the option 'Remember me' when you logged on. The cookie is automatically deleted after 365 days.
- "activeToken":stores a version number for the automatic log in. This cookie is only deposited if you did not select the ‘Remember me’ option when you logged in. The cookie is deleted as soon as you log out. The cookie is automatically deleted after 365 days.
- "neverautologin": stores a default setting indicating that you do not wish to have any automatic log in within this particular browser. The cookie is only deposited if you have once expressed the wish to have no automatic log in. The cookie is deleted after 10,000 days.
These are cookies that are technically essential for the use of certain functions of our website. The legal basis for the use of such cookies is an existing legitimate interest, namely in a user-friendly design of our websites, in accordance with Art. 6 para. 1, sent. 1(f) GDPR.
- If you make use of our language courses or our trainer, your learning progress (e.g. completion of individual lessons and units, results of vocabulary testing exercises) is stored.
- Every user who makes a contribution to one of our forums gives his/her irrevocable consent to the publication of this contribution and its link to his/her own user account and to the mention of the user’s chosen alias in the forum in question.
Use of LEO through the APP without log in / user account
- When using the Android app (version 8.2 and above), you may be shown advertising by Google AdMob. You can adjust the settings for your Google account at https://adssettings.google.com/at any time to determine the extent to which you may also be shown personalised advertising there.
All information about data protection and AdMob's PrivacyPolicy
In addition, you have the option to completely switch off advertising in the app. To do this, you can take out a subscription in the app. When you use the app (i.e. version 8.2 and later ones) for the first time, you will be shown all the relevant options.
- When the APP is used for the first time on a device, the following data are permanently stored:
- Date and time
- The number of the app version
- Device ID (a randomly composed series of characters)
- Whenever a search is made, the search term(s) and the device ID are transmitted but are stored only temporarily for seven days for the purpose of finding errors and remedying them.
The legal basis for the use of these data is an existing legitimate interest, namely in possible troubleshooting and error correction, in accordance with Art. 6, para. 1, sent. 1(f) GDPR.
Use of LEO through the APP with log in / user account
- If you log in to the APP with your user name and password, the following data are linked:
- The device ID is linked to your user account.
- If you buy a language course in the APP-Store (iOS) or the Play-Store (Android), the order number is linked to your user account
- If you use our language courses or the Trainer, your learning progress (e.g. completion of individual lessons and units, results of vocabulary testing exercises) is stored.
Registration / User account at LEO
When you create a free user account with LEO, for example in order to write contributions for the forums, to buy a language course or to use the Trainer for your personal vocabulary training, the following data are collected and stored upon registration:
- User name: can be freely chosen, is not visible to other users
- Alias (nick name): can be freely chosen, is possibly visible to other users (e.g. if you write a contribution for the forum)
- Email address: is used for the confirmation (verification) of the log in. Is only visible to other users if you give your explicit consent and the appropriate settings are made in your account. You can change your email address in your account settings at any time. The email address provided upon initial registration remains stored in unchanged form. We do not give your email address to third parties and we do not send newsletters.
- LEO messages (“Private messages”): stores your wish to receive or not to receive personal messages from other users within LEO. You can change this wish at any time by adjusting your account settings. The private messages are stored permanently on our servers. Your email address is not visible to other users of the private messages facility/service.
We do not forward the data collected upon registration to third parties.
Upon creation of a user account, the standard settings for the Trainer are automatically linked to the user account; in this process the following data are stored:
- Test volume: lays down how many vocabulary items you normally want to be tested on per questioning session.
- Test direction: lays down which language is to be given and which is to be tested.
- Strictness: lays down how strictly the checking of the answer you provide is to be evaluated (e.g. in the testing method "write").
- Vocabulary items automatically deleted: lays down in two ways whether the vocabulary item should be removed from the collection, either on the basis of absolute values (“known X times in succession”) or on the basis of a percentual value (“tested at least Z times and known in Y% of the cases”) or on the basis of a combination of these two variants.
You can change these settings before each testing session or permanently in your user account. These data are not visible to third parties.
In your user account you can provide additional details of your own free will: family name, first name, address (street, town, postcode, region, country), occupation, language-related information (free text), knowledge of the individual languages (level, region, native language) offered by LEO. Language-related details and knowledge of languages (to the extent that these are provided) are always visible to the public; the other details voluntarily provided can be made visible to others or not, as you wish.
We store the date of your registration and the most recent log in to LEO.
The user-account data remain stored for the purpose of the existing user account for the duration of your registration with LEO, i.e. until you delete your user account or we terminate it.
The data are still available in a backup for up to 7 days after deletion and are then finally deleted. The legal basis for this storage in the backup is a legitimate interest in accordance with Art. 6, para.1, sent. 1(f) GDPR, as well as a legal obligation in accordance with Art. 6, para. 1, sent. 1 (c) GDPR, namely to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, availability and resilience of our systems and services in connection with long term processing in accordance with Art. 32, para. 1 (b) GDPR.
Use of the forums
With regard to the use of LEO’s forums, data are not stored until you start to take an active part in the forum activities, e.g. when you start a new thread by writing a question or you respond to another user's question (“contribution”). If you only read the contributions in the forums, no data about you is stored.
Every user who makes a contribution to one of our forums, gives his or her irrevocable consent to the permanent publication of this contribution in the forum concerned. The user, however, has no entitlement vis-à-vis LEO to have his or her contributions published in a forum.
When you write a contribution for a forum, the IP address assigned to your internet connection at that time is stored. The IP address is stored for a maximum of 29 days and is only forwarded to the authorities concerned if the authorities are prosecuting an offence.
These data are stored and/or processed in accordance with Article 6, para. 1, sent. (b) of the GDPR.
Contributions you make to the forums appear exclusively under your alias; other forum users are thus unable to connect these to your person. The deletion of your account removes all your personal data, but this does not include contributions to the forum which are published anonymously and are thus not connected to your person. If these contributions were to be removed, it would have a distorting effect on the forum discussions and would deprive the contributions made by other users, or their comments on your contribution, of their sense and context.
These data are stored and/or processed in accordance with Article 6, para. 1, sent. (b) of the GDPR. This legal provision permits the processing of personal data by the controller (in this case LEO) when there is a “legitimate interest” which does not come into conflict with a user’s overriding interests. Our legitimate interest consists in the financing of the operation of our websites and apps. Both of these contain extensively researched information which we provide to a large extent free of charge. The marketing of the advertising spaces on our pages enables us to continue to offer these website and app services and to make them available to everyone in this form and, in this way, to make a significant contribution to the dissemination of knowledge.
When you "subscribe" to a contribution in a forum in order to be notified about new responses, we store the following data in your user account:
- the discussion in question
- the mode in which you wish to be notified (only on the LEO page or by email)
- whether you have read the discussion since the last notification was sent
Use of the Trainer
When you use the Trainer, the following data are stored (depending on the way it is used):
- Your collection of vocabulary items
- The testing statistics of all vocabulary items on which you test yourself regardless of whether these are vocabulary items from your own collection or from word lists prepared by LEO or from the word lists of other users. The testing statistics contain:
- how often you have successfully practised a vocabulary item
- how often you have not successfully practised a vocabulary item
- how often in succession you have successfully or not successfully practised vocabulary item
- when you last practised a vocabulary item
- If you compose word lists, these word lists are linked to your user account and the assignment of your vocabulary items to your word lists is stored.
- If you compose folders, the folders are linked to your user account and the assignment of word lists to folders and folders to folders is stored.
- If you initiate a learning group, the group is linked to your user account.
Use of groups in the Trainer
If you initiate a learning group or are a participant in such a learning group, other users can possibly learn your word lists. You can decide for yourself which of your folders or word lists you want to share with other group members. By releasing a word list or a folder, or any number of them, you give LEO permission to make all these items available to other group members.
Automatic evaluation of learning progress
In order to offer you appropriate vocabulary items for you to practise and learn whenever you decide to use the Trainer, your earlier vocabulary-learning successes are analysed by our system. This analysis determines a number of vocabulary items and proposes these to you for practice.
When you use our prescribed form for submitting details about
, the data you provide in the form is stored for only as long as we need to process your submission and to remedy the problem. After your submission has been dealt with, the data are automatically deleted. If you wish, you can also have the data deleted earlier by sending us a written request to this effect by email.
The legal basis for the use of these data is an existing legitimate interest, namely in possible troubleshooting and error correction, in accordance with Art. 6, para. 1, sent. 1(f) GDPR.
Emails to LEO
If you write emails to the LEO Team or individual staff members, these emails will be stored permanently. Your messages will only be used to resolve your concern as quickly as possible. We store your e-mails In order to be able to provide better answers to any follow-up questions at a later time on a different or the same concern,. We do not send newsletters and do not pass on your e-mail address to third parties.
These data are stored and/or processed in accordance with Art. 6, Para. 1, Sentence 1(f) GDPR. This authorisation allows the processing of personal data if there is a "legitimate interest" pursued by the controller and a user has no opposing and overriding interests. Our legitimate interest is to optimise the processes we have in place to respond to enquiries.
Right to rectification
Under Art. 16 GDPR you have the right to have the data stored by LEO rectified. To achieve this, please send an Email to the LEO Team
We will notify you in accordance with Art. 19 GDPR of the rectification.
Right to erasure (“Right to be forgotten”)
Under Art. 17 GDPR you have the right to have this data erased. If you wish this to be done, please send an Email to the LEO Teamand supply your user name in order to expedite identification
We will notify you in accordance with Art. 19 GDPR of the erasure.
Right to restriction of processing
Under Art. 18 GDPR you have the right to restrict the processing of your data by LEO for a number of specific reasons. If this is your wish, please send an Email to the LEO Team stating your reasons for requesting this restriction of processing.
We will notify you in accordance with Art. 19 GDPR of the restrictions carried out.
Right to information
Under Art.15 GDPR, you have a right to be informed about the personal data which concerns you.
Right to data portability
You have the right under Article 20 GDPR to receive the personal data which you have provided to us and the processing of which is based on your consent pursuant to Article 6(1)(a) or in a contract pursuant to Article 6(1)(b) in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format or to request that it be transferred to another controller.
The right to revoke your consent
If the processing of personal data is based on your consent pursuant to Art. 6, para. 1, sentence 1 (a) GDPR, you have the right at all times to revoke your consent without affecting the lawfulness of the processing carried out on the basis of the consent prior to the revocation.
Right to object
Under Art. 21 para. 1 GDPR you have the right to object to the processing of personal data carried out on the strength of Article 6, paragraph 1, sentences (e) or (f) GDPR. This also applies to profiling on the basis of these provisions. If you wish to object, please send an Email to the LEO Team stating your reasons for requesting this restriction of processing.
Right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority
We also draw your attention to the fact that you, naturally, have the right under Art. 77 GDPR to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority if you consider that the processing of personal data relating to you has been in contravention of the GDPR.
Is there an obligation to provide personal data?
Insofar as you create a user account and make use of services within the scope of this account, you must provide specific data in accordance with the contract you enter into. We draw your attention to such requirements in each case. Beyond this, the provision of personal data is neither legally nor contractually required, nor are you obliged to provide personal data. However, the provision of personal data for the use of some or part of the other services we provide may also be necessary. This means that if you do not provide us with the data we have indicated as necessary, we may not be able to provide you with the services in full.
Party responsible for the data processing
Telefax: +49 (0)8104 909 50 290
Your data are processed exclusively for the provision of services on our website, in our apps and other services offered by LEO GmbH. The provision of the services offered by LEO GmbH constitutes its legitimate interest in obtaining and processing this data.
The German Version of the Data Protection Declaration is to apply.
External data protection officer
For questions regarding data protection you may also contact our external data protection officer, Andreas Winter:
DSB Andreas Winter Hub 8, D-84149 Velden Mail: email@example.com